Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It's coming...

Default Re: It's coming...

I do miss this time of year back east. Actually I miss a lot of what's in this video

Last edited by Joe (SoCal); 09-22-2017 at 11:31 AM.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

There's some spectacular computer wallpaper and screen savers here. Beautiful!

Many years ago we put together with some friends a fall colors tour through MA, VT, NH & RI. As much as the colors it was an authors' tour.

I sat on Frost's "Mending Wall" and touched the desk where he wrote it.

Saw Sleepy Hollow and the cemetery at Concord where the Alcott sisters and so many other authors of the era are buried.

Saw the the jail where Emerson asked Thoreau "What are you doing in there?" to which the tax protester responded "What are you doing out there?"

Sat at Emerson's desk and watched tourists on Concord bridge where they heard the Ranger talk about the shot heard 'round the world.

Read Hawthorne's poem etched in a window pane of the Old Manse.

Strolled around Walden Pond and slept at Longfellow's Wayside Inn.

All surrounded by those spectacular colors.
    "Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Alice

as close as jop can get to sounding like jackish
    Quote Originally Posted by John of Phoenix View Post

Many years ago we put together with some friends a fall colors tour through MA, VT, NH & RI. As much as the colors it was an authors' tour.

Saw Sleepy Hollow and the cemetery at Concord where the Alcott sisters and so many other authors of the era are buried.

Saw the the jail where Emerson asked Thoreau "What are you doing in there?" to which the tax protester responded "What are you doing out there?"

Sat at Emerson's desk and watched tourists on Concord bridge where they heard the Ranger talk about the shot heard 'round the world.

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    it's in the 90's here r
    its close to eighty here today, i think i'll ride my bike to the lake and get a good swim in before it gets too cold
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    its close to eighty here today, i think i'll ride my bike to the lake and get a good swim in before it gets too cold

i was going to take the kids to the lake this weekend until a stupid softball tournament messed it all up. should be nice out there right now.

First month of spring down here. Yesterday was the first morning in weeks without a frost. Most of my deciduous trees are just about to come to life- and the temperature today will be in the high nineties with strong to gale force winds and a total fire ban. The driest winter on record followed by probably the hottest spring. Can't wait for summer JayInOz

Quote Originally Posted by John of Phoenix View Post

You must have been through New York as well if you were in Sleepy Hollow.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    Oh my.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    only in alabama eh?
    Nope. Though the 'shrooms we do it with are more often found in the woods.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

20 years ago I was traveling with a friend on the eastern slopes of the Cascades during September. We stopped at a farm stand & as we got out of the car a woman next to us said "Aren't the colors spectacular?" I replied "Yes, they are very nice." She started to take offense at my less than enthusiastic reply, then looked at our Vermont plates, looked back up at me, smiled, & said "No fair!"

Not sure how good the colors will be here this year. With the warm weather they are late & many of the maples (stressed by last year's very dry summer) have lost a bunch of leaves already.

@ Paul Post #10. Beautiful red boat - though maple might not be the best planking wood. Musta looked good in green all summer though....
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by twodot View Post
    Sow griz and two cubs, near Ovando, Montana, seen along a dirt road while scouting fishing spots on the Blackfoot river (of A River Runs Through It fame). We would have been dropping bricks if we hadn't been in the car.
    Wow! That's all I can say. Wow!

I've only fished out there once and I was so concerned about bears that I did what the ranger said to do - I sang show tunes. It didn't help me catch fish, but I didn't see any bears either.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    20 years ago I was traveling with a friend on the eastern slopes of the Cascades during September. We stopped at a farm stand & as we got out of the car a woman next to us said "Aren't the colors spectacular?" I replied "Yes, they are very nice." She started to take offense at my less than enthusiastic reply, then looked at our Vermont plates, looked back up at me, smiled, & said "No fair!"

Not sure how good the colors will be here this year. With the warm weather they are late & many of the maples (stressed by last year's very dry summer) have lost a bunch of leaves already.

@ Paul Post #10. Beautiful red boat - though maple might not be the best planking wood. Musta looked good in green all summer though....

Normally I’d be defending Michigan’s fall colors as being equal to anywhere, but so far this fall the leaves are underwhelming at best...

Jeff C

Hey Paul, is that top pic Portage Lake or the Keweenaw Waterway?
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

northern Georgia, or sometimes Mississippi Delta USA

It is subtle, but the cypress trees in this part of Mississippi are beginning to change.

Deer Creek Anquilla cypress.jpg

Today's sunset was nice though.

Panther Burn sunset.jpg