Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's coming...

Default It's coming...

Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Default Re: It's coming...

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    A great many, who have spent their lives in cities, and have never chanced to come into the country at this season, have never seen this, the flower, or rather the ripe fruit, of the year. I remember riding with one such citizen, who, though a fortnight too late for the most brilliant tints, was taken by surprise, and would not believe that there had been any brighter. He had never heard of this phenomenon before. Not only many in our towns have never witnessed it, but it is scarcely remembered by the majority from year to year.

By the twenty-fifth of September, the red maples generally are beginning to be ripe. Some large ones have been conspicuously changing for a week, and some single trees are now very brilliant. I notice a small one, half a mile off across a meadow, against the green woodside there, a far brighter red than the blossoms of any tree in summer, and more conspicuous. I have observed this tree for several autumns invariably changing earlier than its fellows, just as one tree ripens its fruit earlier than another. It might serve to mark the season, perhaps. I should be sorry if it were cut down. I know of two or three such trees in different parts of our town, which might, perhaps, be propagated from, as early ripeners or September trees, and their seed be advertised in the market, as well as that of radishes, if we cared as much about them.

At present these burning bushes stand chiefly along the edge of the meadows, or I distinguish them afar on the hillsides here and there. Sometimes you will see many small ones in a swamp turned quite crimson when all other trees around are still perfectly green, and the former appear so much the brighter for it. They take you by surprise, as you are going by on one side, across the fields, thus early in the season, as if it were some gay encampment of the red men, or other foresters, of whose arrival you had not heard.

Autumnal Tints (LINK), Henry David Thoreau

“What use is a house if you haven’t got a tolerable planet to put it on?”

~~~ Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by sharpiefan
    i love you man
    you bring a great deal of balance to the bilge
    thank you
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

The leaves are well on their way to turning here in Vermont. Quite a few on the ground already. Snowblower is tuned up and ready to go.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post

Some trees, as small hickories, appear to have dropped their leaves instantaneously, as a soldier grounds arms at a signal; and those of the hickory, being bright yellow still, though withered, reflect a blaze of light from the ground where they lie. Down they have come on all sides, at the first earnest touch of autumn's wand, making a sound like rain.

Autumnal Tints (LINK), Henry David Thoreau

Thanks for the beautiful photos, folks. In South Florida, our autumnal changes are more subtle, and not so photo-worthy.

Thanks, Paul. I wish I could write the words, rather than just copy&paste, but I know my limitations.
    Last edited by sharpiefan; 09-19-2017 at 06:50 PM.

“What use is a house if you haven’t got a tolerable planet to put it on?”

~~~ Henry David Thoreau

Awwww.... You guys get all the good stuff.
    "... the door was ajar, and the game was afoot." Lawrence Block

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    i love you man
    you bring a great deal of balance to the bilge
    thank you
    That is a fact. The guy just likes awesome things.

Fall foliage is coming. Here’s when you can expect it where you live.

follow the link to an interactive map on vox that predicts the dates of the color change across the 48 continuous states.

https://www.vox.com/science-and-heal...-google-doodle

Why do the leaves turn red, orange, or yellow?

When the chlorophyll disappears, the National Arboretum explains, other chemicals in the leaves persist and show their colors:
    Chlorophyll normally masks the yellow pigments known as xanthophylls and the orange pigments called carotenoids — both then become visible when the green chlorophyll is gone. These colors are present in the leaf throughout the growing season. Red and purple pigments come from anthocyanins. In the fall anthocyanins are manufactured from the sugars that are trapped in the leaf. In most plants anthocyanins are typically not present during the growing season.
    Different trees will reveal different colors, as the US Forest Service describes on its website. The leaves of oak trees, for example, turn reddish brown or russet. Here are a few others:
    - Hickories: golden bronze
    - Aspen and yellow-poplar: golden yellow
    - Dogwood: purplish red
    - Beech: light tan
    - Sourwood and black tupelo: crimson
    The color of maples leaves differ species by species:
    - Red maple: brilliant scarlet
    - Sugar maple: orange-red
    - Black maple: glowing yellow
    - Striped maple: almost colorless
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

The very tops of some of the red maples and a few of the sycamores have started to change here. Although they are always the first to change, it seems early. Maybe that is just because this Summer went by so quickly.
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --

I've just begun to notice it here. I especially love the sugar maples... in the late afternoon sunshine, they seem almost fluorescent. I've got a small one on my property which is getting just old enough, and lush enough, to put on a good show later next month.
    "Fact is that which enough people believe. Truth is determined by how fervently they believe it."
    --- Charles Pierce

Stupid pine trees.

Peace,
    90% Evergreen...

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Stupid pine trees.
    Well, they have their charms, too. My home is in the midst of a pine forest... and in the fall, the pines drop a huge amount of dry pine needles, which looks nice beneath the trees, and is soft to walk on. It complements the few deciduous trees on my property.

Of course, I DO have to periodically haul out the blower, and blow them off the driveway... as well as vacuum up the ones that stick to my shoes and end up in the house.
    "Fact is that which enough people believe. Truth is determined by how fervently they believe it."
    --- Charles Pierce

Stupid pine trees.

Peace,
    90% Evergreen...

yeah, but have you ever happened to be looking when a pine tree pollinates in a big explosion?

Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    yeah, but have you ever happened to be looking when a pine tree pollinates in a big explosion?
    While tripping balls on cow pasture 'shrooms? One of the most amazing experiences of my entire life. . .

Two minutes later I got chased down the street by an escaped pig on its way to the slaughterhouse - I **** you not. One of the the scariest moments of my entire life. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    Well, they have their charms, too. My home is in the midst of a pine forest... and in the fall, the pines drop a huge amount of dry pine needles, which looks nice beneath the trees, and is soft to walk on. It complements the few deciduous trees on my property.

Of course, I DO have to periodically haul out the blower, and blow them off the driveway... as well as vacuum up the ones that stick to my shoes and end up in the house.
    Oh, Norman, I LOVE pine trees. All our conifers, actually.

I was just sorta funning because we don't really get glorious explosions of color. We get a see of green with one little red or orange or yellow spot occasionally.

In the trees, proper, I mean. No long drives through "leaf country". The foliage is actually one of the things I'd most like to see on the other side over there.

Peace,
    Robert

While tripping balls on cow pasture 'shrooms? One of the most amazing experiences of my entire life. . .

Two minutes later I got chased down the street by an escaped pig on its way to the slaughterhouse - I **** you not. One of the the scariest moments of my entire life. . .

wow, for real? that would have been AWESOME! (not the pig chase)

Now this is a good story!
    Skip

only in alabama eh?

only in alabama eh?

hahahha, i've had some interesting moments with shrooms and trees as well. but a nice pollen explosion on shrooms is like one of keith's pink unicorns. my mind would have been too blown to even notice a pig chasing me.

Yep. Been knocked out by a Sugar pine cone, too. Knocked out cold. Three butterflies cut from a can to close it. What? I told you I lived in the sticks for periods of time.

I've helped frame two houses with pine logs, I've cut pine trees down for lumber and firewood. Shoot, for several summers as a young man, I spilt pine firewood by hand.

I've harvested food from pines, too.

Conifers are the trees that have dominated my arboreal life. I still remember going to the family place in Kentucky. I walked out into the woods with my Uncle, and we just walked. The hardwood forests are so different.

Peace,
    Robert

Very few people know how fast and vicious hogs are. A pig will straight mess you up. I am WAY more afraid of a large hog than a large bull or horse.
    Because pigs are SMART, too.

Peace,
    Robert

nice stuff!
    The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
    Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.

Yep. Been knocked out by a Sugar pine cone, too. Knocked out cold. Three butterflies cut from a can to close it. What? I told you I lived in the sticks for periods of time.

I've helped frame two houses with pine logs, I've cut pine trees down for lumber and firewood. Shoot, for several summers as a young man, I spilt pine firewood by hand.

I've harvested food from pines, too.

Conifers are the trees that have dominated my arboreal life. I still remember going to the family place in Kentucky. I walked out into the woods with my Uncle, and we just walked. The hardwood forests are so different.

Peace,
    Robert

that's funny, it's a big NO NO to use pine for firewood around here. well, in your fireplace at least. i guess you use what you got.

only in alabama eh?
    Don't you visit Davis? Hehe.

We are pretty much the same thing, but with foothills and conifers.

I can get you doused in pollen and pig bit real easy.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by webishop14 View Post
    Awwww.... You guys get all the good stuff.
    Come to Or-E-gone. We have leaf-peeping.

Nothing like the amazing vistas available in Varmint & New Hampshire... but still quite lovely. <G>

I still remember my first fall driving out the Kangamangus Hwy. (us and about 37,000 other folks). It was truly, jaw-droppingly, magnificent. See my sig....
    Last edited by David G; 09-22-2017 at 10:22 AM.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Don't you visit Davis? Hehe.

We are pretty much the same thing, but with foothills and conifers.

I can get you doused in pollen and pig bit real easy.

Peace,
    Robert

i'd pass on THAT offer!

that's funny, it's a big NO NO to use pine for firewood around here. well, in your fireplace at least. i guess you use what you got.
    Fireplace? Kidding. It really was more romantic than all that, though. I split wood for the ski lodge, for a local summer camp, and for some of the trail maintenance crews. I know, stupid to have them pack in wood, but some areas they worked they couldn't cut wood, but above 5,000 feet, you pretty much always need fire at night. Around here, fire is prudent for protection, too. Lots of cats and bears up high.

Fireplaces are totally verboten here, now, unless they are modern, clean burning, etc...
    We had a big old Buck stove, but it's not possible to use it.

Particulates.

It's funny, but I bet if everyone stopped using their "leaf" blowers as brooms, we could probably reduce particulate matter enough to use our fireplaces again. We do love in a giant bowl, though, and air quality here is notoriously bad, so I'm all for burning restrictions.

I don't understand people who get angry at such regulations. "Nobody's going to tell me not to kill myself and everyone else! I want what I want! Junior, stop coughing. I'm going to sue someone over this bad air!"

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Come to Or-E-gone. We have leaf-peeping.

Nothing that the amazing vistas available in Varmint & New Hampshire... but still quite lovely. <G>

I still remember my first fall driving out the Kangamangus Hwy. (us and about 37,000 other folks). It was truly, jaw-droppingly, magnificent. See my sig....
    michigan, peak colors are probably next week up north and a week or so later down here

just beautiful!
    Skip

It's cool here today - long sleeve weather and great sleeping weather. Fall is right around the corner.

it's in the 90's here r

it's dropped to the upper eighties here and that is the forecast for the next week. The evening though have cooled to the mid-60's.
    Skip

Herself talks about them shamelessly copulating in the streets!
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott