Thread: SWIFT's dirty bottom

Default SWIFT's dirty bottom

The days are too short for after work sails now and with senor Jose possibly causing trouble this week, I think I'll bring SWIFT home today.
    Yesterday, I cleaned lots of critters from her bottom. Also noticed a crack in the sternpost where I had scabbed on an extra bit during construction. Hope it's not full of rotten wood.
    Being on a mooring was really nice in a lot of ways, but harder on the boat for sure. Not sure what I'll do next year.

[IMG]swift bottom by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]hauled over by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

Default Re: SWIFT's dirty bottom

Hi Falcon 1,

it looks like the antifouling worked OK, I can only see a waterhose and brushes but no scraper in the photo, what sort of critters did you have and how did you persuade them to leave? We have freshwater mussels that can only be scraped off or blasted away with a highpressure cleaner! I assume you`re in tidal saltwater which is another "kettle of Fish" :-).

Anyway it looks like "Swift" is fairing well on the mooring and just needs an occasional beaching and scrubdown, how do you keep rainwater out of her?

Greetings from Germany,

Alan

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Ya ,geeze, she looks fine. Not abused a'tall.

Thanks guys.
    I just noticed these replies.

Yeah, I'm just a newbie at this boating thing, was just a bit shocked at all the growth. I did scrape off a lot of barnacles, etc. especially in the DB trunk.

Think you're right though, more regular maintenance and she'll be fine.

My wife and I made a cover for her out of Top-notch fabric to keep the rain out, as well as to protect against the sun. It worked great!
    Very happy since it was our first time. Here's a pic of the aft portion. There is a forward piece as well. That one is an adventure to set up on the water, nearly tip over!

[IMG]IMG_0964 (1) by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

Cheers!

Mike
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon1 View Post
    My wife and I made a cover for her out of Top-notch fabric to keep the rain out, as well as to protect against the sun. It worked great!
    Very happy since it was our first time. Here's a pic of the aft portion. There is a forward piece as well. That one is an adventure to set up on the water, nearly tip over!
    Can echo the tippyness when doing anything forward from the mast in a whiley tern.
    Nice cover!
    Now Sewing, one more thing I have to learn.