Thread: first build/first post 16' LYS or 12' rowing skiff

Default first build/first post 16' LYS or 12' rowing skiff

Hello! I bought plans for the Old Wharf Dory 16 LYS. I live in Albany, and plan on fishing for stripers in the Hudson River, fishing Cape Cod a couple weeks a year, and a weekend or two in the Adirondacks trolling for lake trout. I have a budget of about $8,000 for the build.

This is my first boat build, and I don't have that much wood working experience. I'm thinking about ordering plans for a smaller 12 foot rowing skiff instead of jumping in to a 16 foot power skiff. What do you guys and gals think?

Default Re: first build/first post 16' LYS or 12' rowing skiff

The LYS is a pretty simple build. I'd stick with your original plan.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Skip the 12 foot rowing skiff, you'll out grow it overnight. I am about 3/4 of the way thru my 16 LYS build and I think it's a perfect first build for a newbie with limited woodworking experience. you can probably finish it for way less than $8K, depending on your choice of motor. An older 2 stroke will be much cheaper. I'm going with a new 25 hp Yam 4 stroke. If you decide on a center console the steering system, engine controls, wire harness etc really add up. Tiller controlled way cheaper. You can search numerous LYS build threads on this forum that are incredibly helpful. And do be shy about giving Walt a call, as he's very helpful.

I agree. Any boat building project takes quite a bit of time to complete when all is said and done. Better to put that into something you really want. If you like building, then you can put your lessons learned into the next boat. And if you don't, then you wouldn't get around to building the LYS after the rowing skiff anyway, and would be stuck with a boat you never really wanted.
    Last edited by Christopher Morgan; 09-17-2017 at 08:30 PM.

I wish I had that kind of budget when I built my LYS! The LYS is a very straightforward build and offers a ton of flexibility when fitting out. I stretched mine by 2 feet for an 18 footer and put a tiller-operated 40 hp four stroke on it (kinda too big). If you build the LYS, the plans say that the side decks are optional; I highly recommend them, they stiffen the hull immensely and will give you a place to mount stuff, like rod holders... And I agree that the 12 footer is too small for what you want to do. Good luck.

I built Bolger's Gypsy for just a little over $1K, and done in a year. I think it looks classy, and it's a great row boat. A pleasure to row. It sails too, if that interests you. It wouldn't make a good motor boat.

Attached Images Attached Images

my Port Aransas Skiff is quite simiar to the LYS and after 26 years i still love her

many boats have come n gone thru my stable butt MY SKIFF is still here!!!

i favour tiller steering to console for simplicity and reduction of maintenance issues

her seats are boxes w/ lids which keep my stuff where i can find it

the floorboards are carpeted w/ i/o carpet over plywood and can be easily removed for cleaning

and the fuel tanks are under the fore deck, plumbed under the floorboards

the stem was left proud, shaped and pin'd w/ a birch pin

hope you build an LYS and post your progress here w/ lotsa pics

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve