Thread: Howard Rice, his SCAMP and the next project

Default Howard Rice, his SCAMP and the next project

Voyage of Southern Cross.

While in Southern Chile getting the little SCAMP prepared for Howards voyage south along the Pacific Coast of Tierra del Fuego, Howard ran on line school lessons for two schools and a pair of home schooled youngsters back in the north of the USA, half a world away. The lessons were “real time” so they could ask questions, get answers and interact with the lesson itself.
    I was a co presenter with some of these, and it was a wonderful experience, teaching subjects, rather than from a textbook or video, in person from “out there among it all”.

The idea grew from that, and is now a major project to send Southern Cross as a “virtual classroom” around the world, one stop at a time. She’ll be shipped in a 20 ft container adapted as a workshop and shipping crate, with the team flying into each destination, uncrating her and sailing some of the most interesting places on the planet, teaching school classes all over the world as we go.

The technology to do this is quite readily available, we need nothing more than a satellite phone, an Ipad or Laptop, GoPro cameras and us, Howard and I as presenters. We see it as a window in their classrooms, one which travels and through which they can see sights that otherwise they’d only see in books.

For those who don’t know him Howard is a retired University professor, a professional teacher, and is hugely committed to educating our children, to enlarging their horizons and to linking them with other cultures all around the world.

I’m priveleged to be involved, it’s a big project, one that will be spread over three years but which is not only for the “live teaching” but which will build up a library of lessons that can be accessed long after we’ve come home.
    Its not just for the children, or even just the schools, there will be a blog including video which is for those who wish to follow the adventures of the “Little ship Southern Cross”, her best friend Howard, and the others in the team, as we travel, explore, find new friends and sail in interesting places.

We’re planning to visit Howards old haunts in Micronesia, come here to New Zealand, go to Japan at Cherry Blossom time, Hong Kong, up in the mountains to Tibet to the highest salt water lake in the world (over 15000 ft up in the sky) and onward around the world.

We’ve a website which explains the whole project in detail.

Heres the link. https://www.voysc.com/
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Default Re: Howard Rice, his SCAMP and the next project

Cool, nothing can stop him. Looking forward to some more adventures of Southern Cross.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

Thats a tremendous initiative and deserves applause and support.

Hear, hear. I am glad to see that his Chilean adventure has not quelled his inner fires.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

RESIST. FIGHT THE POWER.

It has changed his outlook somewhat, and he's very committed to improving the lives of kids everywhere. That sounds somewhat cliche'd but although he's known to most here as a small boat adventurer and sailor, he's an educator at heart, a teacher who wants to give back to the world of which he is a part.
    Its a privilege to know him and to be a part of the project. Me? Afloat in Punta Arenas in a boat of my own design, then look at all those other destinations! Wow. Just being a part of this is beyond my wildest dreams.

John Welsford

Curious what the curriculum connection will be... science? math? humanities?

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
    Curious what the curriculum connection will be... science? math? humanities?
    All those, conservation, marine biology, geography, sociology. Think about what you'd see when, for example, 15000 ft up in the mountains of Tibet, or on the Upper Ganges, the Blue Nile or the Greek Islands. The people, the mountains and the plains, the industries in the area, the fish and the animals. The general thrust will be looking after our planet and our people but highlighting the unique features of each destination.

Our "stops" have been chosen with that in mind.

John Welsford

I love this inter-disciplinary approach. I'm currently trying to put together a program for a full-day field trip to Great Salt Lake, weaving elements of geography, science and humanities.

As a teacher, I'd want to be able to identify specifically which learning objectives the program would address.

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
    I love this inter-disciplinary approach. I'm currently trying to put together a program for a full-day field trip to Great Salt Lake, weaving elements of geography, science and humanities.

As a teacher, I'd want to be able to identify specifically which learning objectives the program would address.
    We will be sending teachers a lesson plan so they know what is coming up and can give their students a flying start on the subject material. In our proof of concept lessons we had them put a map up, pin our location and do some reading on it so they had the background, so each one is not just one lesson, its material and basis for several. The teachers loved it.

John Welsford

I'll be frank, it sounds like there's an angle here.
    whatever rocks your boat

As a teacher, I would be very interested in this sort of a program. I'd even write a grant to get money to fund it. But I'd want to know very clearly which learning standards and objectives the program was targeting.

Of course there's an angle here. Nobody does anything simply out of charity, even if its "for the children. Think of the children..." Good for John and Howard for finding a way to make money doing what the rest of us only dream of doing. I think they could make even more money with it if the program was solidly grounded to the curriculum that teachers are mandated to teach.

Thanks for the nice comments.

The Voyage is an ambitious project and it is not yet fully funded, we are working on that. I have no idea whether it will come to fruition or not, no harm in trying.

I thought a few words of clarity might help.

There is no angle (not sure what angle means any way) or ulterior motive. I am not wealthy nor can I fund the project. I did however 100% fund the voyage I just completed in Tierra del Fuego out of pocket as I have never been one into angles or sponsorship. I have donated my boat, gear and crate to the Voyage of Southern Cross project as I believe in the potential and what better avenue to take with sucha boat.

The documentary film Below 40 South being produced about my voyage is wholly owned by others and I do not have any financial stake in it nor will I profit from it. I was offered a major financial stake in the film and I turned it down based on my personal ethic of not doing what I do for money. I voyage to explore or beter simply because I am curious and revel in a good challenge now and again.

This project in regards to sponsorship is a departure for me and I can easily justify it because of the reason I am doing it. I am a former college professor and must say one of the highlights if not "The Highlight" of my just concluded voyage was interacting with elementary school kids. I had no idea it would turn out this way. I am doing this Voyage of Southern Cross project part time and I believe I/we deserve to be compensated at some minimal level for time spent and for the good delivered otherwise it simply can't happen. To date this has taken hundreds of my hours none of which I expect to be compensated for.

In closing. We live in an age of speed, distrust at home and abroad and a sketchy future for the children of today so if I can do one small thing people to people that delivers people to people diplomacy then I am all in. Governments don't do diplomacy so well (I know first hand from my time as a Governors Special Assistant) in many cases but people understanding people through travel, study and adventure is a powerful force. I know as John and I have already touched the lives of several hundred kids and their families.

Thanks for reading. I hope folks here will find their way to our web site for a look at a program that is 100% free to teachers and students, if we manage to line up enough support. So far support has been amazing. The Little Ship was mobbed at the just concluded NW Woodenboat Festival. I think she was mobbed because she was a little boat with a story in process. She arrived from the Strait of Magellan three days before the Festival and I put her out for all to see just as I rescued her from the Southern Ocean/western Beagle Channel, in fact she still had Soutehrn Ocean water in her port seat locker.
    howard rice
    Last edited by Howard Rice; 09-19-2017 at 09:01 AM.

Howard since you posted this on an open forum then you are inviting public comments which may be useful for those reading. You recent failed adventure in South America is still fresh and has definitely influenced my views on your activities. John has a number of designs which in my opinion are far superior than the scamp for adventuring. Recently a Navigator (one of Johns best designs btw) was rediscovered in Fiji some 18 years later after a friend of mine gave it to a local family after his solo journey in Fiji. It’s a heartwarming story, both his adventure sailing the length of the Yasawas for a year, his gifting of the boat to a local family and how the family/village have used it for island hopping and trading. He wrote a story about it afterwards and didn’t solicit money from anyone, in other words a real adventure with the humility that comes with no expectation of reward or panhandling. In Johns catalogue, there are also several other heavy dinghies that would have had a far better chance of survival than the scamp in South America which begs some obvious questions.

In many respects the outcome of your voyage in the Straights was 100% predictable and you were fortunate to have not lost your life. I can understand the desire to go adventuring but in light of the requests for publicity it established no new understandings, there was nothing to be explored except when you were going to come to grief. I for one question the message you are trying to send about the scamps ability and it appears to be reckless given your influence in scamp circles.

I realise there are plenty of enthusiasts for scamp adventuring, and that is a wonderful thing but when a post turns up promoting more scamp related activity that involves you sailing off to multiple destinations with someone else paying for it, then the cynicism associated with your previous adventure reappears and the question of an angle arises.
    whatever rocks your boat

I don't really understand how you can actually teach anything to a kid thousands of miles away, while helming a dinghy in 40 foot waves.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul G. View Post
    Howard since you posted this on an open forum then you are inviting public comments which may be useful for those reading. You recent failed adventure in South America is still fresh and has definitely influenced my views on your activities. John has a number of designs which in my opinion are far superior than the scamp for adventuring. Recently a Navigator (one of Johns best designs btw) was rediscovered in Fiji some 18 years later after a friend of mine gave it to a local family after his solo journey in Fiji. It’s a heartwarming story, both his adventure sailing the length of the Yasawas for a year, his gifting of the boat to a local family and how the family/village have used it for island hopping and trading. He wrote a story about it afterwards and didn’t solicit money from anyone, in other words a real adventure with the humility that comes with no expectation of reward or panhandling. In Johns catalogue, there are also several other heavy dinghies that would have had a far better chance of survival than the scamp in South America which begs some obvious questions.

In many respects the outcome of your voyage in the Straights was 100% predictable and you were fortunate to have not lost your life. I can understand the desire to go adventuring but in light of the requests for publicity it established no new understandings, there was nothing to be explored except when you were going to come to grief. I for one question the message you are trying to send about the scamps ability and it appears to be reckless given your influence in scamp circles.

I realise there are plenty of enthusiasts for scamp adventuring, and that is a wonderful thing but when a post turns up promoting more scamp related activity that involves you sailing off to multiple destinations with someone else paying for it, then the cynicism associated with your previous adventure reappears and the question of an angle arises.

Hope this doesn't come off as sounding defensive, I don't feel a bit that way. I post for clarity.

Paul
    * Thanks for your thoughts. Respectfully, you are entitled to your opinions. Your stating "Your recent failed voyage" is your negative perspective not at all mine. I don't get the failed part as I did not state or claim any goal or objective that I did not meet. I simply went off exploring in a small boat. It was my vision, my boat, my voyage and my version of success, absolutely the best experience of my life and good on ya if you think otherwise.

* In retrospect I would have preferred to just go sailing without the film commitment. I allowed the film maker to use my story, images etc to promote and market his film project and this included his fund raising.

* You intimate I may be a person who lacks humility and was or am possibly panhandling with expectations of financial reward. Too bad you havent done your home work, the absolute opposite is true. I have never sought sponsorship and have no financial interest in the documentary film shot about my voyage.

*I see the value we (me, John Welsford, Gary Gnade and Kate Ebert plus our advisory board) can offer to others while doing something quite challenging and extremely interesting.
    I know in order to make the project happen that it has to have some sort of financial backing. Projects like this just do and so I am willing to align with particular sponsors or support organizations. Will we be successful? I have no idea but we are trying.

*So for the coming Voyage project we are as a group of 16 people looking for support. I personally have not sought funding for any boating or adventure activity I have ever had a part in until now. I justify it now because it is a good program that has already touched the lives of many school kids and we hope if we can pull it off so that thousands of kids can participate. Many good people see the value and are in support of the project.

* You wrote "My voyage outcome 100% predictable?" OK, you seem to be an expert on small boats and particularly Johns designs. I admittedly am not so I defer to your expertise as I am always looking to learn. Please tell me why the boat I sailed was the wrong choice or why you were "100% certain I would" as you put it "fail" as failure seems linked to the choice of boat. Interesting that my boat passed Armada inspection without even one ding. In fact I was told that it was far better found and set up than many of the blue water yachts the Armada inspects during application to sail in Chilean waters.

*Also please let me know why other Welsford designs would have been better for the application I used a modified SCAMP for?

*You have labelled me as being reckless and in this role influencing others to do dangerous things in a SCAMP. I have never recommended SCAMP to anyone for anything other than lmited near shore poking around and day sailing. This is a multiple times printed fact. I chose the boat for my own reasons and those are for certain not valid for others. I have made this abundantly clear at all times.

*The fact that I navigated hundreds of miles safely down the Strait of Magellan and into the SW islands near Cape Horn before being blown off of my very functional boat (A friend put it this way, "akin to a well prepared mountain climber being caught by an avalanche") is a 100% predictable outcome, really? I believe any small boat regardless of size would have been capsized in the conditions I found myself in. Larger yachts would have very likely been blown ashore.

*The Armada had a well found patrol vessel caught out in the same place, 10 miles from my location. They were in trouble and clocked 60-72 knots on deck and cyclones ranging in speed between 80 to 110 knots. We became friends, the Captain and officers because their ship survived the same cyclones that I survived. I filmed several get togethers with captain and crew in Pt Williams and the footage should be in Dave Nichols and John Welsfords coming film about the voyage. I hope they add in all the Armada footage, although all selection and editing is their choice not mine.

*I knew pecisely what I was getting into after spending 92 days solo years ago in the same region in an even smaller boat.

*Interesting you didn't note the two large well found yachts who ran into similar trouble both requiring sea and air Chilean search and rescue efforts and in one case salvage efforts, in the other case the boat was lost.

* I was not recued by the Armada. I self rescued from the water and on land because I had prepared to lose my boat.
    * I was prepared, rescued myself and was managing on land but there were other factors involved (personal ethic of resonsibility not to cause others to be in peril on my account) that left me little choice other than contacting the Armada. There were other factors in the decision mix as well.

*I did not cause the Armada to expend any funds picking me up nor were any Armada personnel put in any danger at any time. We were two vessels in the same general location experiencing the rare Tromba Marina cyclones. It was the ships first expereince in cyclones, mine too.

* I did not nearly lose my life, you were not there so how would you know? I had a serious challenge on my hands and it took a toll on my body and resources but I was never out of the process to continue my self rescue regardless of what anyone else did or did not do. I was on my own and prepared. Responsibility had me activating the delorme.

*"Requests for publicity?" By who? The film maker? John? (he originated this thread not me).

*How do you know "no new understandings" have been established? First off I have never stated I was sailing and looking for new understandings for the public however a major American university has requested the up close footage I shot of the cyclones as a research piece.

*.......and you wrote: "I realise there are plenty of enthusiasts for scamp adventuring, and that is a wonderful thing but when a post turns up promoting more scamp related activity that involves you sailing off to multiple destinations with someone else paying for it, then the cynicism associated with your previous adventure reappears and the question of an angle arises."

*To me this intimates you may believe there is no value being offered to anyone other than me. Yes you are a cynic (I am one as well, at least about some things in life). In a world that lives and breathes sponsorship and sails/hulls slathered with logos you picked a little "Good will" project to cite as having some angle. If the angle is "Shame on me" for enjoying what I hope to do, guess this comes with the territory. I do hope some of it is enjoyable. To date this has been expensive hard work, creating the concept, getting a web site up, shipping a boat and equipment, on and on. A little sailing and life abroad shared with kids sounds good to me.

* FYI I have donated use of my boat and gear to this soon to be registered non profit effort.

* So please do tell me what you think the angle might be, shady or otherwise? You can let me have it privately in a message or here publicly, no worries either way.

Thanks for reading Paul. Hope this might clear up facts a little but if not then that's life.
    Best to you!
    Last edited by Howard Rice; 09-24-2017 at 11:46 AM.

What exactly are you hoping to teach Howard?

Quote Originally Posted by lupussonic View Post
    What exactly are you hoping to teach Howard?
    voysc.com

History, culture, environmental ethics, mathematics, weather, general science topics, ocean health, etc. What I learned from the schools I worked with during my recent voyage was the value of the map share tracking and how excited the students were for updates, etc. There will only be some interaction from the boat. Much will be broadcast from public markets, historic sites, cultural sites, shorelines, etc. The essence of the program is to offer teachers teachable moments that energize students and thereby promote higher classroom interest.
    By the way for the record I have never sailed a SCAMP in 40 foot waves.

On angles: You know, we all have an angle. My ex-wife thought I had one when I would try to get my kids out on my little dory on the lake to row, sail, and swim on a Saturday afternoon. "You just want to go sailing," she would suggest. Well, right, that was my angle, but I put forth that this was good for my kids too, and they weren't complaining. I don't believe in saints -- I think even Mother Teresa enjoyed what she did and got something out of it or "had" to do what she did and so got some form of relief by doing it -- or both and more! -- although I am happy that what she liked or had to do was a positive thing in this world.

As a teacher myself I often hear things said about teachers, positive and negative, but I am most bemused when the teacher-folklore turns to saint-like sacrifices, because I think most of us teach because we enjoy it, we want to, or because we cannot imagine ourselves doing anything else despite the low pay and social status (usually a bad day of teaching is better than a good day in the corporate office, and I have sat in the corp. office). The fact that the job of the teacher is positive and necessary in this complicated world is a good thing.

There are many ways to teach, and the classroom is a highly structured place already that necessarily cannot emphasize some other ways to teach -- the best schools do try to manage it, I understand but there are always trade-offs (my friend's charter high school is an innovative science/ecology-based school, with big organic gardens and diverse staff, and student hands-on stuff, though this comes at the cost of missing some of the good things offered by a public, more ordinary school). So if there is some chance that students can be connected to the outside world and unique worldviews they might not otherwise hear, it all seems good, though energy is required (says physics) and money is the symbol-form of energy.

The simple sense of adventure combined with educational insights is a most valuable thing -- who here has not sweated in some old school looking out of the window with a sense of discombobulation and hopelessness -- since so many children are caught up in lives from which new "cognitive categories" of possibility are hard to come by. Much that can be done with two sticks, a rock, and some mud -- stimulate the kids, and then trust that they will work with it. Stimulate them with the unusual, and the brain's synapses strengthen and form new connections, which is the neurological measure of learning. I am thinking this is what Howard's project might provide.

For me small boats taught that adventure was possible even in straightened circumstances, and as such the small boat is a good analogy for other things. When I was a teen I wanted a sail boat but didn't have the money for even a clunker. But worse still, I didn't have the imagination to think my away around that problem. Later I would learn I could have affordable adventure if I eschewed hotels, and rental cars, and traveled by bicycle and pack -- but the boat connection didn't come until almost too late. I wish there had been a "Duckworks" and "Small Craft Advisor" and "Small Boats" and Everglades Challenges and the Texas 200s (where the well-off and the less-so can bump gunnels in remarkably similar boats under the same weather, and tell similar stories later). A coastal chop in a small boat is as challenging at times are larger weather in larger boats -- adventure, and through that, greater connection in the world outside the 4 walls, was always at the doorstep, but sometimes somebody has to model that in the different scales.

Not young now, now, but one can always be a student, I fondly think about the proa I built in an apartment at early middle-age after a divorce stripped me of the means to have my old trailer dory handy. Painfully crude, yet it left the ramp and came back to the ramp under sail power. I connected with a community of outrigger enthusiasts, and connected too into the more esoteric world of non-Western sailing traditions, and my synapses no doubt grew and strengthened. Not too late!

Howard, sorry about the bad luck down south, but I respect people who offer themselves up to risk and "pick up the pieces on the beach" and build more stuff out of that. That is in good human tradition, and a good angle. Teach the kids that, and anything else you can think of. -- Wade

Thanks, Wade. That was very well put.

Sure, everybody has an ‘angle’ and although this might possibly be the case here, in a vaguely insignificant way, going as far as to say that even mother Theresa was motivated by self satisfaction to some degree or other is extreme.
    Any mention of a comparison between Howard and mother Theresa is absurd anyway.
    What Howard is doing has a technological ‘angle’ that puts it into an entirely different realm, which could well be the meaningfully relevant thrust of what he is doing in the first places…….I can’t say for sure, but have just completed a stint of jury duty, so am feeling inclined to put a few words in here.
    Teaching in the academic sense is foreign to me (as a largely autodidactic type), but the idea of Howard passing on something of his range of practical and academic knowledge and experience has got to have value to young minds.

Any criticism relating to the bulk of the craft opted for, seems to be motivated by an ‘angle’ of its own, as well.

Thinking about education and boating,, well, I’m pretty sure that something like Howard is working on would have helped me at a stage where conventional education failed.
    Sitting in a classroom with a maths teacher scratching away at the blackboard while there was glimpse (through the classroom window) of the Indian Ocean in the distance, was a crucial turning poin for me.
    The teacher went on about the desert Arab input to mathematical knowledge and soon enough the relevance of the subject faded.
    Later on when having to use trigonometry for navigational purpose, it hit me that I should have taken it all in back then.
    Thoughts of combining the boatbuilding and design with sailing, adventure and survival, along with travel, could have made the difference.
    Instead, Camel trains in the desert and mathematic faded against the high powered song of racing motorcycles, since people like Mike Hailwood and Jim Redman lived in the vicinity of the school.

Beautiful idea. I've shared the website link with a couple of friends who are teachers. You may have a following in rural Alabama and Southern Tennessee. Howard, John, best wishes and much admiration from here.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Rice View Post
    voysc.com

History, culture, environmental ethics, mathematics, weather, general science topics, ocean health, etc. What I learned from the schools I worked with during my recent voyage was the value of the map share tracking and how excited the students were for updates, etc. There will only be some interaction from the boat. Much will be broadcast from public markets, historic sites, cultural sites, shorelines, etc. The essence of the program is to offer teachers teachable moments that energize students and thereby promote higher classroom interest.
    By the way for the record I have never sailed a SCAMP in 40 foot waves.
    are you familiar with the PBS series "voyage of the MI MI?... with a young Ben Affleck.