Thread: Old Cuba

Default Old Cuba

The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
    Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.

Default Re: Old Cuba

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Allen View Post
    Actually, just about the only features that have gone are those moored sailboats and wealthy folks racing them. The buildings and architecture are all there, the palm trees are all there, oxen and horses pulling carts on farms and roads and major highways are all there, horse back riders are there, manual labor and hand harvesting are all there, dancing is everywhere, music is everywhete. In reality there is very little change.

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Yep. It's all still there. Run down and aged, as the newsreel is a couple decades old. But it's more there than long gone.

I always wanted to visit there but won't now, travel is harder and harder...
    The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
    Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Allen View Post
    I always wanted to visit there but won't now, travel is harder and harder...
    I could tell you specifically and in great detail how easy it was to accomplish a self directed tour as we did in April, doing exactly as we pleased, and taking in exactly what we wanted, with all of our spending going directly into the pockets of private individuals unaffiliated with the Cuban government. All in great comfort too.

Unfortunately, an ignorant individual who has never been to Cuba and knows nothing of that country, has edicted that self directed tours will no longer be permitted for U.S. citizens. However, packaged tours in which a considerable portion of your money will wind up directly with the Cuban government are permitted. And of course the packaged tours will give you what they want, rather than what you might want.

Amazing really - an ignorant man restricting personal freedoms of American citizens, while funnelling additional revenue to a government that he wants to bring down.

We'll be going back through Mexico or perhaps one of the Caribbean countries and doing our own thing again; you probably wouldn't want to do that. You could always take a cruise though, and get a little orchestrated peek.

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

'Twas a golden moment, wasn't it Dave?

I was there in December. I still have about two dozen cigars and two bottles of rum I haven't opened yet.

I would have loved to go and wander around; possibly when the current administration ends. My parents taught school in Havana from 1951 to 1953. People who knew said my mother always spoke Spanish with a Cuban accent.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

A very common sight, unchanged for decades:

northern Georgia, or sometimes Mississippi Delta USA

Havana, Cuba city tour 2016

If you've got a boat in Florida you can go. People have been doing so for years.

So I have been told.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

My grandfather started going to Cuba in the nineteen-teens, delivering salt cod in schooners out of Lunenburg. My father started visiting in 1947 when he was a merchant sailor; he has gone back as a tourist maybe a dozen times in the past 25 years - his last visit there was two years ago. My brother visits annually, and sits in with various local bands playing at the tourist resorts in the Cayo Cruz region on the north-east coast. He usually takes a musical instrument or PA component with him and 'forgets' to bring it back. I visited several times in the '70's and '80's, but haven't been back since. It is a lovely place with wonderful, honest, and friendly people.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.