Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: So what's the story on the "Wooden Boat Forum" on Facebook?

Default So what's the story on the "Wooden Boat Forum" on Facebook?

So, while wasting my time on Facebook, I came across "The Wooden Boat Forum," a FB "group." https://www.facebook.com/groups/45928256385/

It bears the disclaimer: "Group for WBF members. This page is not affiliated with WoodenBoat Publications." and provides a link to our forum.

It's full of the usual FB blather, but does have lots of photos and news about events, like the Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival. I noted a couple of familiar names from the real WBF, but most of the posters are unknowns to the WBF, unless they are posting in here under pseudonyms. From the content, it sure is full of a lot of people who I doubt are "WBF members." While the site is long on pictures, it is ridiculously short on consistent advice. There's lots of "I just bought a wooden boat" posters asking about "corking" their boats (a dead give-away, that, unless they really do speak with a thick Maine accent.) Lots of total wrecks that people are asking about "restoring." The answers run from correct to outrageous with the correct answers running maybe fifteen percent. Everybody's an expert, of course. I'd expect that real WBF members would know that FB was hardly the place to get a reliably decent answer to a question about wooden boats.

However well intentioned the creator might have been, it sure looks like trademark infringement to me. I've seen a number of good stand-alone forums experience a large drop in participation when somebody opened a competing FB group. Maybe FB is easier to use for some and may provide "one stop shopping" if you are into fake news, Russian propaganda and endless advertisements and distracting "click bait," but the real WoodenBoat Forum it ain't.

Anybody got any background information on it to share?

Default Re: So what's the story on the "Wooden Boat Forum" on Facebook?

I know it is there, and I get notifications of new posts, I rarely open them. As you say big on pictures.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

I believe it started as a refuge for people who'd been banned and then sort of grew. It evades any copyright problems both by the very clear separation of the FaceBook page from anything to do with the publication, and further pushes that point while keeping their point of origin by spelling the name with two words.

It's ok there, it's ok here. Totally different formats. Facebook is social network driven. There are thousands of people on FB that love Wooden Boats but may not know how to fix work or restore them, but the love continues.
    "Denisenoturbiz" on fb
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    I believe it started as a refuge for people who'd been banned and then sort of grew. It evades any copyright problems both by the very clear separation of the FaceBook page from anything to do with the publication, and further pushes that point while keeping their point of origin by spelling the name with two words.
    Possibly, but the refuge for those banned is up and running on a different page.

And I may have it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cleek View Post
    So, while wasting my time on Facebook, I came across "The Wooden Boat Forum," a FB "group." https://www.facebook.com/groups/45928256385/

It bears the disclaimer: "Group for WBF members. This page is not affiliated with WoodenBoat Publications." and provides a link to our forum.

It's full of the usual FB blather, but does have lots of photos and news about events, like the Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival. I noted a couple of familiar names from the real WBF, but most of the posters are unknowns to the WBF, unless they are posting in here under pseudonyms. From the content, it sure is full of a lot of people who I doubt are "WBF members." While the site is long on pictures, it is ridiculously short on consistent advice. There's lots of "I just bought a wooden boat" posters asking about "corking" their boats (a dead give-away, that, unless they really do speak with a thick Maine accent.) Lots of total wrecks that people are asking about "restoring." The answers run from correct to outrageous with the correct answers running maybe fifteen percent. Everybody's an expert, of course. I'd expect that real WBF members would know that FB was hardly the place to get a reliably decent answer to a question about wooden boats.

However well intentioned the creator might have been, it sure looks like trademark infringement to me. I've seen a number of good stand-alone forums experience a large drop in participation when somebody opened a competing FB group. Maybe FB is easier to use for some and may provide "one stop shopping" if you are into fake news, Russian propaganda and endless advertisements and distracting "click bait," but the real WoodenBoat Forum it ain't.

Anybody got any background information on it to share?
    You probably should send this to the FB group Admin. You really seem complaining more about facebook and the way it works

I don't see a sinister plot to take away from here and if anything I've started to enjoy the differences in each!

Everyone's an expert? NOT touching that one!
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Ben Sebens posts in both places. He's an admin for the FB page, as far as i know. I go there for the ease of posting and looking at photos. Another FB page is Gaff Rig Boats Worldwide. I must have posted a hundred photos or more in both places in the last month or so and get numerous comments and questions from an appreciative and 'acceptably knowledgeable' (?) worldwide audience. Both pages are less antsy about non-wood boat posts too, yet rarely is a political post seen. I don't actually recall EVER seeing one. Meanwhile, The Bilge has long dominated contributions here.
    Last edited by rbgarr; 09-13-2017 at 05:19 PM.
    "... and the great shroud of the sea rolled on as it rolled five thousand years ago."

Do they discuss CPES? if not its FAKE!
    whatever rocks your boat

Yes, and recently!
    "... and the great shroud of the sea rolled on as it rolled five thousand years ago."

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Sometimes I use my big boy grown up words on Facebook,unlike here.
    Ben has not spanked me....yet.

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseO30 View Post
    You probably should send this to the FB group Admin. You really seem complaining more about facebook and the way it works

I don't see a sinister plot to take away from here and if anything I've started to enjoy the differences in each!

Everyone's an expert? NOT touching that one!
    Well, I have to admit I got sucked into FB a while ago and am now in rehab. It's got to be one of the most worthless addictions mankind is heir to. There's always just enough to positively reinforce going there and then, before you know it, you've wasted a couple of hours wading through posts by people you haven't seen since grammar school and fake news memes. What can be said for an outfit that now belatedly admits they sold advertising space to the Russians so they could spread propaganda during the elections. Things are so totally insane these days that people don't seem to be much bothered by that. Time was they executed the Rosenbergs for divulging "secrets" the Russians knew already. ... Now, see, I'm starting to sound like this is a FB post!

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    I go there for the ease of posting and looking at photos. .
    Well. Not so much I guess. I just spent a stupid amount of time trying to get a guy who made claims that a photo of a yacht for sale was a Huckins (which it wasn't, while he was calling others who doubted him names) to back off with his 'expertise'. Ha! Fruitless pursuit. Why did I bother?

I just look at the pictures on the feed, I never open the comments. Life is too short.

Besides, it won't be a real "group" until they have a China Diesel thread.
    Heute ist so ein schöne Tag...

While I was not a part of its creation, I am an admin for the Facebook page, along with David Graybeal and Leigh Ross, who are the other active admins. I think one of them started it. There is no intention or effort made to infringe on the good folks over at WoodenBoat, and I am not aware that anyone has ever made a fuss.

It is rather different from this forum, generally lacking the depth and continuity of a good forum thread. I don't think it works as well for a project thread, or really any "conversation" that might last more than a few days. After that, it gets buried in the feed and is never seen again, with the rare exception. Some folks operate vessel/project specific pages, and share that content to the WBF Facebook page.

With 11,000 members, and more everyday, it can be useful to get a broad range of answers on a single question. That said, there's really only a few hundred active posters, at most.

So, it serves a different purpose. Its a daily newspaper (with all of its assorted fluff and useless nonsense), compared to this forum, which is more like an encyclopedia. Each serves its purpose.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

"Lack of substance" would be a good explanation of groups on Facebook. I've been posting my Ducker restoration on Facebook Wooden Boat but it's really hard to keep it up and running because postings don't track like they do on Forums like this.

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk

I think Michael Beckman started the FB page.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

"Lack of substance" would be a good explanation of groups on Facebook. I've been posting my Ducker restoration on Facebook Wooden Boat but it's really hard to keep it up and running because postings don't track like they do on Forums like this.

Just post the new stuff on your timeline, you should be able to find it there.

The only thing I read on facebook is the ticker price. So far, so good...

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Just post the new stuff on your timeline, you should be able to find it there.
    I tend not to post Wooden Boat stuff on my timeline because none of my friends are family are really into it or even understand anything about it.

Someone promoted the fb page on here a while back. I thought it was poor form.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post
    I think Michael Beckman started the FB page.
    Just so. And named it carefully. Its genesis, as I understand it, was for folks who didn't think they needed to use so many asterisks for common words. Since it's an open group, others have wandered in, and it's taken on a life of its own. He's not involved much anymore, and the rest of us simply keep it going for fun. Seems to be a popular joint... we keep adding members at a rapid pace.

Yes, FB is a different sort of venue. Frustrating at times, but fun at others. And we draw a different crowd, but with some overlap.
    Last edited by David G; 09-14-2017 at 06:07 PM.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Possibly, but the refuge for those banned is up and running on a different page.
    What page are you referring to?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cleek View Post
    Well, I have to admit I got sucked into FB a while ago and am now in rehab. It's got to be one of the most worthless addictions mankind is heir to. There's always just enough to positively reinforce going there and then, before you know it, you've wasted a couple of hours wading through posts by people you haven't seen since grammar school and fake news memes. What can be said for an outfit that now belatedly admits they sold advertising space to the Russians so they could spread propaganda during the elections. Things are so totally insane these days that people don't seem to be much bothered by that. Time was they executed the Rosenbergs for divulging "secrets" the Russians knew already. ... Now, see, I'm starting to sound like this is a FB post!
    Indeed. Using FB productively is a challenge.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Someone promoted the fb page on here a while back. I thought it was poor form.
    That may have been me, but maybe not. Though I wouldn't hesitate to.

Bad form? Why? I'm pretty sure I've also 'promoted' various other boating sites and links. The Coots. Center for Wooden Boats. Columbia River Maritime Museum. RiversWest. Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival. The Barbey Center. Race 2 Alaska. Mother of All Maritime Links. And likely more. I don't see making connections, sharing information, and providing alternatives as poor form. But perhaps you can point out where I'm being insufficiently careful or fastidious? Be clear and precise, please, as I'm apparently dense on this topic <shaddup Glen!!!>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    What page are you referring to?
    The one administered by a banned forumite.

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Indeed. Using FB productively is a challenge.
    We've found it's simply great for extended family sharing via private groups, each about jokes, news, photo albums, discussions about documentaries or series we all watch and so on. It's better than group e-mails and somewhat like group Skypes only not needing as much coordination. It's good for planning family get-togethers and then reliving them through photos and reminiscences after... plus the usual trash talk about who did what to whom.

I am a member of that group. My full name there is Daniel A. Willis. I use it for images, it's heavy on them. If I need real advice, I shop here. This is where it's at as the kids say these days. (They do say that don't they?) Pictures, everyone likes pictures and FB has always been easier to use than WBF so maybe now that Scot has fixed our picture posting woes that one will die off a little bit? Who knows. FB is certainly a world leading social media platform and getting the word out about anything is probably easiest and most effective using FB so why not have a group there dedicated to wooden boat people and so what if it's called "forum" as well?
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

I don't think the WB Facebook page is meant to provide in depth advice or detailed project builds. It's an easy way to post and see pictures of wooden boats. It's also an easy way for people interested in the hobby to get some basic information and pointed in the right direction. \

We post stuff from our build FB page to the WB FB page and people seem to like it. It's just a quick scan for most, a little eye candy entertainment. I think the forum is still the place to go for real discussions, help and projects. If anything the FB page pushes more traffic here and helps spreads the word about the wonderful world of wooden boats.
    A ship is safe in the harbor, but that's not what ships are for.

http://www.seadreamerproject.com
    http://www.youtube.com/c/SixPointsWoodWorks

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    We've found it's simply great for extended family sharing via private groups, each about jokes, news, photo albums, discussions about documentaries or series we all watch and so on. It's better than group e-mails and somewhat like group Skypes only not needing as much coordination. It's good for planning family get-togethers and then reliving them through photos and reminiscences after... plus the usual trash talk about who did what to whom.
    Just so. This is how we started using FB... as the best (sometimes nearly only) way to keep track of the kids.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

It just strikes me as a bit odd that some people here, who don't use Facebook, won't use Facebook , are talking about Facebook and, probably never will get into social networking. Some here seem to be actually trying to create a conspiracy that doesn't exist, at least not in my mind.

I love it there! I love it here, but both formats are vastly different!! And both are free, that means; this forum is not "sacred ground".

I dare say; for the few women here, we find this forum an uphill struggle, on FB it's not even close to the boys club mentality that is found on skilled craft Forums like this and others.

I did OK as the last in my family owned HVAC business, as a contractor, public speaker, activist, socialite etc with employees and a position on a few real time groups and committees. (real social networking) in a very large city on the East Coast of USA Yet, everyday online again, in sites like this and others, I'm treated like some kid l who wants to make heart-shaped crafts for the flea market! ( that's ok I don't loose sleep over it) and I continuously have to prove or validate anything I write here and in skilled crafts/trades online groups and forums. (Many trades women make male profiles just to belong to the "club" I refuse to do that.)

No, I don't need to brag or tell everyone how and what to do, want, and don't ever ask a question while pretending to be here for learning. I ask and freely admit I want and need help and advice, but "ahem" how that help and advice is offered/delivered probably would possibly warrant another discussion thread!

I'm retired now, on fixed income, I have the time to indulge in the wooden boats and other skilled crafts I love, although I don't have the money to venture beyond my own environment.

it's Forums like this, that give me a chance to share knowledge and experience. Yet nearly everyday. it's like "who are you?" especially when ask a question of someone with a very large ego..... but I digress The gentlemen here outnumber the... awww, well you give them a name.

To summarize.. if this forum is worth having, even if there seems to be rules for some and not others, it will continue. If so many here feel it's not something that should be "open" (meaning free) Then make it a paid membership! I for one would be happy to pay to belong to this group.

Signed "demented creature"

Denise - your contributions over on FB are much appreciated. And you're often one of the first to notice inappropriate posts. As for the OP... well, you've probably heard of the breathing condition: COPD. The OP is a symptom of a different sort of COPD. He's not the only one around here who exhibits symptoms of Cranky Old Pharts Disorder... but he's definitely got it. Our thoughts and prayers.... etc. <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

I got a member of the FB group some time after joining the WBF. Read or heard somewhere there are discussions going on and heaps of pictures. Awesome, I thought, more of this great stuff! It's true, there are many pictures. But with the rest I was pretty disappointed as my expectations were much higher, and I didn't come back since. What I really enjoy with the WBF is, that every boat has his own thread as long as the project goes (and beyond). Right, it makes it a bit difficult if one only wants to look up a specific subject. But people are very helpful and remember this person or that was busy in the same direction. FB is more like a newsticker kind of thing. The subject is there one moment and gone the next.

I've got a FB account, which I use to post the pictures I'm using on WBF. 99 % of my friends have boats and do like to see how I'm getting on, so no problem. For the WBF I made an extra folder "Questions & Hints" where the nasty pics go and I had some shocked replies, but they've all calmed down now .

I dare say; for the few women here, we find this forum an uphill struggle, on FB it's not even close to the boys club mentality that is found on skilled craft Forums like this and others.

Signed "demented creature"
    Denise, concerning the guy who made you change your signature, this was completely off the rails, I agree!

Apart from that, as far as my opinion is worth something for the few months I'm active in this forum, I can't see anything making it difficult for me as a woman in this forum and feel treated like anybody else and with respect. This counts for my own thread and for threads where I try to help with the knowledge I've got.

The only thing I'm struggling with from time to time as I'm not native American or British is the heaps of shortforms used sometimes which one can't find in any dictionary - sometimes Google helps, but not always !

Dody
    Last edited by Dody; 09-15-2017 at 03:08 PM.

Oh I changed that because it's funny Dody! I won't speak anymore about that guy as He's on my ignore list

If I can help you understand some of the slang and "americanese" I will try.

Dody I was moved to tears by the outpouring of kindness from many of the gentlemen here when I mentioned my son's passing Dec 23, 2015 So truly, the gentlemen here out number the "others"

My "angry feminist, march on Washington DC personality" has mellowed ... but now and then I say something direct like I was face to face with someone, and it gets taken completely wrong. Shame on me... but not really

To dispel any confusion, there are two different Wooden Boat pages on Facebook. One is this one...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/45928256385/

...which is the subject of most of the replies to this thread.

The other is a page that is affiliated with WoodenBoat Publications, here...

https://www.facebook.com/WoodenBoatPub/

This page features some of the build threads from this forum, as well as material from other sources. When build threads are featured here permission is obtained before the feature is posted. I think that this facebook page reaches a whole different set of people...quite apart from the usual suspects we've come to know and enjoy.