Thread: Southwester Dory compared to eg. Alaska Also thoughts on welsford pilgrim

Default Southwester Dory compared to eg. Alaska Also thoughts on welsford pilgrim

Hello All,
    I am researching a next boat build project for camp cruising New England and the Chesapeake. I might one day trailer to the west coast and do the inside passage or Baja too. I haven't seen a lot on CLC's southeast dory-- it looks like a capable boat; specs are similar to eg. Alaska, Penobscot 17, or Oughtred's Whilly tern or Ness Yawl, all of which appear pretty popular. Why has this design not gained more popularity-- is it because it's new.

Another boat I am considering, and is probably too much displacement for my aims is Welsford pilgrim. Anyone have any experience.

Thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,
    Michael

smallwoodenboatsails.blogspot.com

Default Re: Southwester Dory compared to eg. Alaska Also thoughts on welsford pilgrim

Did you mean the Northeaster? For cruising one complaint I have heard is the room that the centerboard trunk uses up between the flotation tanks (ignoring the option for the outboard well that would use up even more). Not a big problem if you are sailing solo and/or not planning to sleep inside. I think it is a lovely and capable-looking boat, especially if rowing is a significant part of one's plans. -- Wade

Default Re: Southwester Dory compared to eg. Alaska Also thoughts on welsford pilgrim

I think he's talking about the Northeaster's big sister the Southwester, which is bigger, heavier, and has decks and a motor well. It does look equivalent to Alaska in capability. They are both really nice boats. If you want a motor well, the Southwester is the one.

You can also consider Francois Vivier's Yakou-Lili:

http://www.vivierboats.com/albumsfr/...009/index.html
    Last edited by photocurio; 09-13-2017 at 10:19 PM.

I like Vivier's designs. The Yakou-Lili weighs a bit more that the southwester or Alaska though...
    Michael
    smallwoodenboatsails.blogspot.com
    stories, curated designs, and classifieds