Thread: Comments about the college (sailboat) racing scene

Default Comments about the college (sailboat) racing scene

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."

-Mark Twain

Default Re: Comments about the college (sailboat) racing scene

One of the very few regrets I have about my time at BU is not spending more time sailing on the Charles.
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

It depends on when you were at BU. If before the seventies The River was a foul mess. Now oyster beds thrive and filter The Basin!
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."

-Mark Twain

Spring sailing in Maine (University of Maine Orono) was cruel. Mostly we waited for the ice to go out.

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    It depends on when you were at BU. If before the seventies The River was a foul mess. Now oyster beds thrive and filter The Basin!
    1984-88 getting my BFA then 3 more years as an employee. At that time there was a really nice walking/bicycling/roller blading path along the river that I want to say ran from Watertown into Boston. Neat area to go to school.
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

Being one of about half a dozen sailors who earned varsity letters in what is and was a club sport back 50 years ago, the big one that people don't learn now is taking care of the gear. We did all of the maintenance in the winter between seasons when the boats went to the P'Ton aeronautical labs/ shops. So unless todays participants work at it, there is a whole other skill set they need to learn if they want to continue.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Vernon Langille, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity and a quiver of unamed 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

They never mentioned the fast rising UNE team, and it's articulate and handsome coach.

Wonder who? Congratulations in any case.

Actually they're struggling but having fun. Marilyn's friends sometime ask me if I'm like the coach in "The Boys in the Boat", and I say "No I'm the exact opposite". I tell them how they can sail faster, but I don't cajole them.

Rowing and sailing on The Charles preserved my sanity during the woeful struggling of my years as an undergrad. I was NOT a great scholar but was surrounded by many!

-Mark Twain

Sailed there while in college in late 80's. Standing on the floating dock, looking down in the water and seeing condoms, tampon applicators and other unidentifiable detritus floating around, my partner & I swore we were NOT going to get wet. And it was blowing. Sure enough, we got knocked down, but managed to walk around the hull as she rolled. We managed to right the hull, again climbing back into the cockpit as she came upright. Whew, only wet up to our shins. Then, as the wind blew the now muck-coated mast & sail, we both got totally peppered with the ooze flying off the flapping sail. If I remember right, our school won that day.

I started sailing on the Charles in the mid fifties. The condoms were locally called Charles River whitefish.

Quote Originally Posted by JimConlin View Post
    IThe condoms were locally called Charles River whitefish.
    They'd stick to the oar blades and riggers on rough days when rowing. Almost as bad as Cambridgeport boys dropping bricks off the bridges onto the crews rowing underneath.

-Mark Twain