Thread: H-28 on Maine craigslist

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default H-28 on Maine craigslist

Default Re: H-28 on Maine craigslist

The price is right but some how, the builder missed something in the translation of the plans.
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    The price is right but some how, the builder missed something in the translation of the plans.
    Jay
    Jay, you are always such a gentleman!

It's another Craigslist "wet dream." An example of a very rare 26' H28 with not only an inboard engine, but, once upon a time, an outboard engine as well. She's gone and sprouted a bowsprit of sorts, too. I guess she was built of green wood that wasn't done growing.

Muriel Vaughn, LFH's secretary, executrix, and heiress to his design portfolio, used to go crazy over this kind of "trademark pirating." It's one thing to build a boat with unlicensed plans and screwing the designer out of their rightful commission for the use of their intellectual property, but claiming a boat is a particular famous design when it obviously isn't is really beyond the pale.

Construction is "wood over glass"??????

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    Construction is "wood over glass"??????
    Love to know what that is myself.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Maybe they wrote the ad while sitting inside the boat?
    Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Love to know what that is myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Morgan View Post
    Must be it!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Ahhhahaha!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Morgan View Post
    "... and the great shroud of the sea rolled on as it rolled five thousand years ago."

All a matter of perspective, eh?

Well, Murial and L Francis were both friends of Anne and myself. Skipper had all manner of unprintable comments, he made, concerning those who pirated his designs and also did a gut wrenching job in the process of doing so!
    Just to show the difference here is what the H28 is supposed to look like.
    Jay

Despite all that, there's that Westerbeke and a big chunk of lead for $1,500 OBO. Who's got a build going?
    -Dave

Originally Posted by Jay Greer

Jay
    An interesting comment--and I mean no disrespect whatsoever--its just that Rosborough is a pretty well-respected builder. For them to " muff it" is surprising.

Despite all that, there's that Westerbeke and a big chunk of lead for $1,500 OBO. Who's got a build going?
    My first offer would be: " How about I don't charge you for hauling it away?"

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post

My first offer would be: " How about I don't charge you for hauling it away?"

Kevin
    That was my thinking. I'd bet that this is headed for the dumpster if someone doesn't pick it up.

I've not been very impressed with Rosborough boats, myself.
    "... and the great shroud of the sea rolled on as it rolled five thousand years ago."

I've not been very impressed with Rosborough boats, myself.
    What was it that displeased you?

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

My comments are only in regards to the deviation from the original Herreshoff design! This boat being based on the general look of an H28 is not an H28! The overall length is short and the displacement is far greater than the original boat. The deck house is grossly disproportionate to the hull! The port lights are not correct. The coach roof crown is not clean to the eye and there is no drip molding trim on the edge. The sides of it are incorrectly raked and the sliding hatch is off center and all wrong plus the hand rails are clunky! In addition, the cockpit is not as LFH designed it! The boat does not need a bowsprit! In addition, the toe rails are not as designed and are not capped correctly. The sheeting track on the toe rail is not needed as it is too far outboard to be of any use when sheeting headsails on the wind. They only come into play on a reach and do not make that much of an advantage to a boat such as this. In addition, I hope that the Westerbeke Diesel engine is not overly heavy and is one of their lighter two cylinder models. However, the H28 was desinged to have an off set prop on the port side rather than in an aperture which hinders the efficiency of the prop. by shadowing the blade from clean water flow and creating unneeded drag. The transom does look a bit narrow but that may be caused by camera distortion.

Even so, the boat does look a bit like an H28. It looks like it would be worth restoring if it will pass survey as to having a sound hull. If so, building a proper set of spars and rigging plus making up a suit of sails might turn this little sow's ear into a silk purse!

And that is the truth as I see it!
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 09-15-2017 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    My comments are only in regards to the deviation from the original design. This boat being based on the general look of an H28 is not an H28! The overall length is short. The deck house is grossly disproportionate to the hull! The coach roof crown is not clean to the eye and there is no drip molding trim on the edge. The sides of it are incorrectly raked and the sliding hatch is off center and all wrong plus the hand rails are clunky! In addition, the cockpit is not as LFH designed it! The boat does not need a bowsprit! In addition, the toe rails are not as designed and are not capped correctly. The track on the toe rail is not needed as it is too far outboard to be of any use when sheeting headsails on the wind. They only come into play on a reach and do not make that much of an advantage to a boat such as this. Even so, the boat does look a bit like an H28. It looks like it would be worth restoring if it will pass survey as to having a sound hull. If so, building a proper set of spars and rigging plus making up a suit of sails might turn this little sow's ear into a silk purse! And that is the truth as I see it!
    Jay
    just go ahead and say what you really think jay.

I agree that it's not an H28. It's not bad looking, and it's cheap. I've paid more for open boats several times. I hope it goes sailing again.
    IIRC, the guy who founded Rosborough was quite a character. He wrote a book in which he openly admitted some unorthodox practices in building and selling. I saw one of those character boats in Key West once, it was all wrinkly.

No, it is not bad looking! Hopefully it will pass survey! The price is a steal! The big question is that engine. If it will run ok? If it won't that will be a big expense! The new Beta/Kubota 14hp would be my choice as it weighs in at 209 lbs and runs like silk!
    Jay

Here is the difference in the cockpit of the true H28. Note that the seating benches are lower than the deck height by several inches. This allows the cockpit splash rail to be a better back rest. The bench seats are canted slightly lower on their inboard edges to drain into the cockpit well. LFH planned this boat very well!
    Jay

"Wood over Glass".. sure. Its a fiberglass boat, with some wood trim.

I wonder what it would cost to recommission her? Spars, rigging, sails. Plus electrics and plumbing. Its a big expensive job.

build a nice deckhouse, remove the bowsprit, it will come up ok and be a great starter for someone with a good eye if they like that sort of thing. Otherwise it, like most dog breakfast H-28's have no redeeming features. Slow, unconfortable, slow, limited room, slow, unpleasant to look at, slow, as expensive to keep afloat as a much better desgn. and did I mention slow? Down here H-28's are famous for being slow, a fast passage in an "H" is still front page news and apart from everything else its just slow
    whatever rocks your boat

Well Paul, the H28 is not as slow as you might think. Here is a video of my son sailing our H28 "Bright Star" that is making 8 kts plus. I might add that the trick of gaining more speed with the H28 is in increasing the luff length of the mainsail to aid in working to weather better. LFH deliberatly designed the boat to be easily handled by giving it a short rig. In fact the boat looks very much like a Herreshoff 12 1/2 that has been skillfully enlarged to 28' LOA.

All of Herreshoff's ketches are fast if those who are in charge know what they are doing! The shallow draft in conjunction with the ample beam of the H28 hull prevents it from sailing extremely close to the apparent wind efficiently. Pinching the boat to weather can be a slow and frustrating affair! Cracking off a bit allows the her to move faster and the hull shape to bodily lift the boat to weather! Many of LFH's boats are characteristic of this factor. One was the J boat "Whirlwind". She was never chosen to defend the cup due to the fact that the crew strapped her in so much and she stalled going to weather! This is something that Herreshoff noted. He instructed the skipper to "Let the boat breath a bit!" But his advice fell on dead ears resulting in the magnificent boat not being chosen to defend the America's Cup and being scrapped for the war effort.

For even greater efficiency on the wind, the H28 ketch requires a main mast that is taller than the original. This is the sloop mast that LFH designed for the boat which is four feet greater in height. The higher aspect ratio of the main then improves the windward ability of the little boat. Stepping a taller main mast and retaining the mizzen makes the boat much more lively to sail up wind but, it does require an extra set of reef points. Off wind a mizzen staysail or mizzen spinnaker plus a modern asemetrical mast head chute, on the main, makes this little ship quite a sparkling boat to sail! However, this set up does require a set of running backs for the mizzen mast. I recommend a set to back up the jib stay as well. The mizzen now requires a jumper stay to take out the tendency for it to bow forward above the spreaders. All of this tweaking will make the boat much faster and more versatile than the original rig allows. But this is contrary to the philosophy of LFH as to the H28 being a simple weekend cruiser.
    Jay
    https://vimeo.com/2816887

__._,_.___
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 09-20-2017 at 09:09 PM.

He wrote a book in which he openly admitted some unorthodox practices in building and selling. I saw one of those character boats in Key West once, it was all wrinkly.
    Hi John,

My experience is with Rosborough powerboats. I have found them rugged of build, possessing robust wiring and plumbing systems and fittings fastened in a durable manner that one could depend upon for the long term. The interiors are a little weird, in that they can't decide whether they want it to be a workboat or a yacht, but that is aesthetics.

They command a high price on the used boat market.

I have no experience with their sailboats. Trusting Jay's assessment without question, I was surprised, given my experience with power craft built by the company.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Hi John,

My experience is with Rosborough powerboats. I have found them rugged of build, possessing robust wiring and plumbing systems and fittings fastened in a durable manner that one could depend upon for the long term. The interiors are a little weird, in that they can't decide whether they want it to be a workboat or a yacht, but that is aesthetics.

They command a high price on the used boat market.

I have no experience with their sailboats. Trusting Jay's assessment without question, I was surprised, given my experience with power craft built by the company.

Kevin
    Hi Kevin. Sorry for the late reply, I haven't checked back on the thread. Another thing I think I recall about the book was the boats were built in different yards on contract and sold under the Rosborough name. Some were probably very good quality, others not so much.

Another comment on the H28. When I was a kid, about six, may father kept our Lester Stone sloop "Pronto" at Hanchet's in San Pedro CA. Dad drove there from our home near Los Angeles. This was during WWII. On the road to Hanchet's boat Landing, there was a yard that had about six H28's under construction. This was the boat that Rudder Magazine had featured as a, do it yourself boat, for back yard builders. Members of our armed forces literally, read and dreamed of building an H28 when the war was over and they returned home. The enterprising owner of the yard, where we stopped, told my father all manner of wonderful things about the "little Herreshoff ships" as he called them. Dad stuck with the "Pronto" thru the war but, I dreamed of someday owning or building one of these fine little boats.
    Now, I own one and, it is everything that L. Francis Herreshoff had to say about it, a great little cruiser for a young man with a wife and two kids or a bachelor who likes to enjoy a bit of romance while cruising on a piece of nautical art! I under stand that to date, some 2,000 of these happy cruising boats have been built to date and, two of them have circumnavigated the globe!
    Just a star struck comment from an old salt.
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 09-20-2017 at 01:25 PM.

Old Salt trivia: The term comes from the days of the cod fisheries of seventeenth century New England, when cod were brought ashore by the boatload to fish shacks on spindly wharves standing out over the deep water. The fish gang would shovel, head, gut, split, salt and lay them out to cure on 'fish flakes' (air-drying racks). The most skilled and important job was usually handled by an older, experienced, perhaps 'retired from the sea' fisherman, the 'Old Salt', who flensed the flesh off the headless, gutted spine in one piece, securing as much as possible, saved the cleaned bones for grinding into meal and fertilizer while salting and stacking the one piece 'split' with salt, not too much, not too little. Handling an individual fish from unloading to stacking would take five seconds for a practiced crew. Slashing hooks on long gaffs and sharp knives in different shapes were the tools and great care was taken.
    Last edited by rbgarr; 09-21-2017 at 11:24 AM.

Interesting info on on the salt cod! I use salt packed anchovies to flavor Italian red sauce. Good stuff!

Just a note here is that, I have a wooden boat site on Google Groups: "Common Sense Boats"
    It is another place to drop off trivia, yarns and the building and design of wooden boats. And, there is no restriction of selling gear or boats. We are non profit and friendly! This is no reflection on this excellent site for us Woodenboat fans.
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 09-20-2017 at 09:03 PM.

Well rbarr, That explains why the last fish and chips I had was Halibut and not Cod! Gawd I hated Cod Liver oil!
    Thanks for the info.
    Jay