Thread: Plywood skiff build thread - First time boat builder

Default Plywood skiff build thread - First time boat builder

I would like to thank everyone that has provided me with information and answers to specific questions. I think I am ready to get started on my boat build which I will attempt to catalogue in detail. This post will be for the build where I will be posting pictures, asking questions and making notes regarding the build.

I will attempt to keep this post updated and detailed. Please come back when you see updates to this post to follow along.

Link to the build im attempting http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/le...kiff/index.htm
    Last edited by adiastra; 09-18-2017 at 02:21 PM.
    - Alec
    “In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”

Default Re: Plywood skiff build thread - First time boat builder

MDO has been ordered (2 sheets 1/2 and 2 sheets 3/8 per the plans) from Sears Trostel in Fort Collins.
    - Alec
    “In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”

Have a great time with the project! What design are you building?

The duck skiff, I will have lots of details up soon
    - Alec

Thanks, keep us posted.

Started the project by cutting the bottom pieces to width and scarfing the joint. Now stick with me here because it sounds crazy.

I scarfed the edges at a 6:1 ratio and used Gorilla Glue (clamped) to hold them together. I KNOW that 6:1 is not a good scarf and that Gorilla glue is not great but there is more to it.

The next step is to sand everything smooth and treat it like a fiberglass butt joint. The scarfed and glued edges need only hold the joint in place. This will create what I call a short scarfed fiberglass butt joint and I believe it will be plenty strong. The next step is cut the panels to shape and then glass the joints.
    IMG_20170916_083203169[1].jpgIMG_20170916_110436881.jpgIMG_20170916_120701243.jpgIMG_20170917_085516968.jpgIMG_20170917_085318352.jpg
    - Alec

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Your first build ,your first step, and you are inventing a better way to do things.
    Be carefull. Your fg short scarph will prolly work fine, but it also may make a hard spot if the MDO needs bending.
    A ten to one scarph is no more work than a six to one.
    bruce

Its a 14 foot skiff so it does need bending. It is however a long gentle curve so I think (hope) it will be ok. Im doing S&G and will be sure to add an extra stitch in that area.

I used the shorter scarf so that I could use a thinner piece of fiberglass but I will keep it in mind as I go.
    - Alec

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

The "stitching " in a stitch and glue does not add strength. They are generally removed after fileting and before glassing.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    The "stitching " in a stitch and glue does not add strength. They are generally removed after fileting and before glassing.
    Yes I understand that, the "extra stitch" would be there to help mold the bend properly while the epoxy fill sets (like an extra clamp) it may not need it but im just keeping what you said in mind
    - Alec

I have found a trailer that I am picking up Saturday which is to say that success is not longer an option.

I have also decided to glass the boat (since i'm glassing the seams anyway) with 6oz cloth. Why FG MDO? well because im learning and want to learn that too. Besides it will make it more durable which is always nice.
    - Alec

Any updates?

So far I have gotten this far

IMG_20171001_114033457[1].jpg

Next step is to complete the bowstem
    - Alec

Getting there!

Consider the glassing carefully. It will add a lot weight, plus a lot of time and expense to your build.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

I still think its the best option. I will have single on the sides and double along the bottom. 6oz
    Last edited by adiastra; 10-09-2017 at 12:28 PM.
    - Alec

Some updates
    Had fun creating the bow stem and getting that attached. Mixed up some filler material and attached it. Removed the screws after it was cured and it held so thats good
    IMG_20171008_101527962[1].jpg

I cut the stem off even and will make a nice sleek breasthook to cover the tip of the bow.
    IMG_20171009_065702698[1].jpg

Next step is to tighten up some stitches and glue it with fill material.
    - Alec

looking good so far.

jim

The stem worked out well.
    - John