Thread: New iPhone X

Default New iPhone X

A feature is facial recognition security.
    A feature that will not allow your spouse to use your phone in an emergency.
    “What, Me Worry?". -. A. E. Newman

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Default Re: New iPhone X

Well, not quite.

Im not POSITIVE, but I think you can authenticate with your face, your spouse can authenticate with a pin code, and there's likely to be a 911 break the glass thing like on current iPhones (and Androids).

I'd rather stick to the pin code, thanks.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

Something else to go wrong…………………. ahem…………...

Currently, you do not need the phone's passcode to make a 9-1-1 call. There is an, " emergency" soft key you can tap. See this image.

I'd imagine there'd be something similar in the new phone.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    If she has my phone, and my search history, it may just be an emergency!
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    If she has my phone, and my search history, it may just be an emergency!
    I know someone (not me) who got into trouble that way.... not so much the search history as the contacts history.... and the contents of those contacts.

I use the thumbprint option on my phone. Works every time, so long as I pick the phone up with my right hand. After a reboot or three attempts (eg by someone else) it needs the PIN.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    I know someone (not me) who got into trouble that way.... not so much the search history as the contacts history.... and the contents of those contacts.

I use the thumbprint option on my phone. Works every time, so long as I pick the phone up with my right hand. After a reboot or three attempts (eg by someone else) it needs the PIN.
    Oh, cool. You put your thumbprint out there for the hackers and cons?
    Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country. John Fn Kennedy. (D)

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Quote Originally Posted by mdh View Post
    Oh, cool. You put your thumbprint out there for the hackers and cons?
    Apple does not record your fingerprint. It remains only on the devices you choose.

One more thing - don't EVER forget the pin no matter what method of authentication you use. Each attempt to try a forgotten pin will require an ever doubling of wait time. You could soon end up waiting minutes or hours between attempts. You will then have to factory reset the phone and restore from backup. Also a wet thumb will cause it to revert to requiring a pin. I found this out the hard way.

I reckon the iPhone X will have a fallback to pin if facial recognition fails.
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by willmarsh3 View Post
    One more thing - don't EVER forget the pin no matter what method of authentication you use. Each attempt to try a forgotten pin will require an ever doubling of wait time. You could soon end up waiting minutes or hours between attempts. You will then have to factory reset the phone and restore from backup. Also a wet thumb will cause it to revert to requiring a pin. I found this out the hard way.

I reckon the iPhone X will have a fallback to pin if facial recognition fails.
    That's what happened at the launch... default to PIN.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Quote Originally Posted by C. Ross View Post
    Apple does not record your fingerprint. It remains only on the devices you choose.
    I wonder whether Apple will do something similar with the face recog.

But if I use face recog the machine will have to recognize my ceiling. Having to pick it up and face it squarely every time it times out is going to be a big PITA.

Think about all the ways you need to bypass the code and all the places where the phone sits when you do. At least with fingerprint you can program different angles, both hands, etc.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    I wonder about identical twins, how does the security work?
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

And God help you if you shave off your beard.

Facial recognition software is getting . . .well, interesting. There's one study at Stanford where they have a program that predicts sexual orientation from photos with about 80% accuracy, which is really bizarre.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post

Facial recognition software is getting . . .well, interesting. There's one study at Stanford where they have a program that predicts sexual orientation from photos with about 80% accuracy, which is really bizarre.
    I did some work for a company that was leading the way with facial recognition. Their work is now used for border entry applications - eg SmartGate, which uses facial recognition based on passport photos. It works well. Australia and NZ are using it at international airports.

A lad I know has an iPhone with fingerprint recognition.After a couple of days of rubbing down paint,he couldn't use his phone because he had abraded his fingerprints into oblivion.I found it quite funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post

i can write a program that would be as good as that. just says everyone is straight and boom, 80%+ accuracy

A few years ago a buddy of mine had some android phone that had face recognition. He constantly, narcissistically, would look at his phone for an marginally, yet slightly excessive period of time. I took a photo of him with my iPhone and placed my iPhone with his image in front of his android and poof to his amazement UNLOCKED it.

The new iPhone X works NOTHING like this. It uses the same DARPA like facial recognition software they are using at airport & homeland security. It also updates as you age, grow a beard, wear a hat, etc. The level of security they are entrusting it will also allow you to use Apple Pay.

Apple also has a VERY hardline corporate DNA that refuses to capture your fingerprint or now facial data it will reside only on your phone. Remember the San Bernardino terrorist iphone ? Apple's CEO is adamant about personal security.

As far as the rest of iPhone X - I think I may have just reached the level of Old fogieness I currently have the latest iPhone 7 plus and I have to say I absolutely HATE all the enhanced text messaging and never ever use it, and Siri still f'up's all the time. So I can't see myself racing out to buy the latest and greatest.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

My flip phone has to be charged every four days, I'd like a bigger battery.

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman