Thread: Even the fiberglass boat is pretty

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Even the fiberglass boat is pretty

Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Default Re: Even the fiberglass boat is pretty

Thanks, Michael -- I lIke it !!!!

I think we are more interested in shape than material. Wood boats, traditionally, have been naturally pretty because of wood's properties. Fiberglass could be molded to virtually any shape, and many of the shapes it got molded into were not so pleasant to the eye.
    May be some rough water ahead. We're getting new captain.

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    I think we are more interested in shape than material. Wood boats, traditionally, have been naturally pretty because of wood's properties. Fiberglass could be molded to virtually any shape, and many of the shapes it got molded into were not so pleasant to the eye.
    That's an interesting perspective on design. Amorphous materials give the designer absolute freedom, which makes them more difficult to control. Bending a stick of wood, on the other hand, usually results in a pleasing curve. The issue becomes even more noticeable with interior design. The same issues appear in architecture and furniture design, let alone autos and other industrial designs. The photo raises another issue, however-- the visible structure that has it's own aesthetic appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    That's an interesting perspective on design. Amorphous materials give the designer absolute freedom, which makes them more difficult to control. Bending a stick of wood, on the other hand, usually results in a pleasing curve. The issue becomes even more noticeable with interior design. The same issues appear in architecture and furniture design, let alone autos and other industrial designs. The photo raises another issue, however-- the visible structure that has it's own aesthetic appeal.
    One of the basic boats we owned that I thought was a great boat for its purpose was aluminum. It was a shape that could have been made from wood or glass, but this happened to be aluminum. It served us well for many years.

A few of my favourite plastic boats.

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Dan raises some interesting philosophical questions in post #4: Is a designer more likely to create a pleasing object using materials that constrain the object's shape? Are pleasing new shapes those that do not venture very far from accepted familiar shapes? Finally, and one that haunts boat designers, if form follows function and the function dictates a non-traditional form, should old forms be discarded?

I fully appreciate the practicality of the form of a Vendee Globe 'round the world raceboat, with their plumb bow (to maximize waterline length for speed potential), their wide stern and hard bilges (form stability), and abrupt, vertical transom (measurement rules and structural strength), but I think that they are not very attractive. I much prefer the moderate overhangs of the early CCA hull form. But I also wonder if our perception of what is a handsome hull is too heavily influenced by our familiarity with hulls of the past, and that if we are confronted with "modern" form-follows-function hull forms long enough that they will become the paradigm of hull beauty.

One thing is certainly true in Dan's posting - when a designer has the constraints of material removed from consideration, the broader palette certainly allows more freedom to make ugly choices!

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    Dan raises some interesting philosophical questions in post #4: Is a designer more likely to create a pleasing object using materials that constrain the object's shape? Are pleasing new shapes those that do not venture very far from accepted familiar shapes? Finally, and one that haunts boat designers, if form follows function and the function dictates a non-traditional form, should old forms be discarded?

I fully appreciate the practicality of the form of a Vendee Globe 'round the world raceboat, with their plumb bow (to maximize waterline length for speed potential), their wide stern and hard bilges (form stability), and abrupt, vertical transom (measurement rules and structural strength), but I think that they are not very attractive. I much prefer the moderate overhangs of the early CCA hull form. But I also wonder if our perception of what is a handsome hull is too heavily influenced by our familiarity with hulls of the past, and that if we are confronted with "modern" form-follows-function hull forms long enough that they will become the paradigm of hull beauty.

One thing is certainly true in Dan's posting - when a designer has the constraints of material removed from consideration, the broader palette certainly allows more freedom to make ugly choices!
    How many of us hold that what a boat should like is due to thousands of years of boats being built out of wood?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    How many of us hold that what a boat should like is due to thousands of years of boats being built out of wood?
    I see many boats have shapes developed to fit local needs over many years. You can, in many cases, tell where a photo was taken by the boats in that photo.

New materials brought with them the ability to make more complex shapes and, via molds, reproduce them without cost being prohibitive.

The properties of water have not changed. Some experiments in shapes the new materials allow have been successful, others have not.

Maybe we refer to a boat as a 'her' because the wood demanded curves of grace. A fine hull shape is pleasing to my eye regardless of the material used.

^ Precisely.

There is a tendency to make boats that resemble fish, and airplanes that resemble birds. Dunno why.

There is a tendency to make boats that resemble fish, and airplanes that resemble birds. Dunno why.
    Because boats that look like birds & airplanes that look like fish would look silly? Sorry - it was there...

Your post #4 brings up an excellent point.

@ Paul: A friend has a 1/2 glass ketch (hull is glass, deck & cabin is wood) that could be a sister ship to this (minus boomkin). Nice boat + she's 50' with a board, so going into various Cays in the Bahamas freaked people on the docks.

"If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

When they move at relatively low speeds. High-speed boats and airplanes don't look much like birds or fish.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,

Richard Feynman

I think John's first post is fundamentally true. Many fugly bots have been built of wood but the physical properties of a wood plank lends itself to pleasing curved shapes and such curves are pleasing to our eye whether its a boat, a car or a woman. I expect traditional boat shapes have less effect on our opinion than some seem to think. Take the canoes and catamarans of Oceana, the far eastern Junks, Arab Dhows, Greek and Roman oared vessels, European Galleons, Dutch barges, Viking longboats, Indian canoes and American Clipper ships. I suspect many will think some of these are beautiful while some are purposeful and some are just kind of ugly. Certain shapes are generally considered beautiful no matter where they are found.
    Tom L

Very astute comment, Dan... <grin>

Neither fish nor fowl.

Richard Feynman

show me a boat that looks like a fish please....just asking..
    When you come to a fork in the road , take it.

Smarter than the average bear, Booboo

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy View Post
    Can't see mmd's post - so this ,may be a duplicate...

Richard Feynman

er, ok, but to be picky, that's a mammal

er, ok, but to be picky, that's a mammal
    Good point

nifty though

We spent yesterday on this boat, although I have to admit the hull is wood:

There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.