Thread: If we had half a brain

Default If we had half a brain

We'd send humanitarian aid to Cuba. It's the right thing to do.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Default Re: If we had half a brain

I agree, I'd already have ships on the way.

How about the U.S. Virgin Islands? Or Puerto Rico? Apparently the big players in the Caribbean rescue operations are the cruise ship companies, which have been shipping supplies and doing evacuations.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    How about the U.S. Virgin Islands? Or Puerto Rico? Apparently the big players in the Caribbean rescue operations are the cruise ship companies, which have been shipping supplies and doing evacuations.
    No intent to omit them but Cuba will need aid as well. What an opportunity to build bridges directly with the people and to help many who will need a hand.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    I see the Navy is there in a big way as well, pretty much acting as first responders.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.was...ar-operations/

The Canadian Navy is sending one of our ships to the region to be of assistance as needed, as determined by the Caribbean Disaster Emergency Management Agency. Story here: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...irma-1.4279685
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

There is no question but that we should be helping both because it is the right thing to do and because it is very good PR with a people that still do not trust us. It's potentially a big win and we are doing nothing about it.

Is true. If you are interested in making donations to organizations that serve Cuba, along with the rest of the Carib... the two we chose were: World Vision; Catholic Relief Services.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Originally Posted by Dan McCosh

The Air National Guard, including my local boys of the 106th Rescue Wing, has been in the Carribbean, rendering aid and evac-ing people to Puerto Rico.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Wait a sec! The RWWs are telling us nothing really happened & it was all climate change hype. You mean to say people actually need some help? Besides, these folks are outside our borders - therefore invisible.

More seriously - I've sent money to Barbuda - figuring they'd get less outside help than islands with a "parent" - but you are right about Cuba.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Agreed Lew. Cuba is a beautiful and beguiling place. And the rest of the northern Caribbean, including our own territories, deserves help.

Aid for Cuba doesn't fit the nationalist agenda. Scroom. So it won't happen, alas.

Mexico had offered aid to Texans after Harvey. Have we responded to their quake?
    “What, Me Worry?". -. A. E. Newman

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    Mexico had offered aid to Texans after Harvey. Have we responded to their quake?
    Scroom. Read Bannon's interview with 60 Minutes. If they're American citizens we care. If they're not, scroom.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    D.Tramp did not respond to their offer, nor make any gesture of aid for their earthquake damages. Consequently, Mexico has withdrawn their offer. I can't tell you how overjoyed I am to be represented by this sort of classiness.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post

We do have half a brain. He's in the White House.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?
    - some old forgotten Republican
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Last I heard that biological sewer which grows hair we call POTUS just wants to undo Obama's reproaches with Cuba. Of course we should send aid to Cuba. Our nearest PBS outlet, WTTW in Chicago has been running a travelogue on Cuba featuring Jeffery Baer which has been highly entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post
    Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?
    Wait just a second there Mr. Right! One of our maroons, perhaps one with a tremendous grasp of history, will be by to remind us how the Republicans freed the slaves and the Democrats are the party off the south.

The Netherlands sent their King to Sint Maarten, Macron went to St Martin and St Batrts. British troops are in Anguilla and have a possibly appropriate heavy handed martial law in the BVI, Boris is going to visit the BVI too. There's a strong rumor that Trump is visiting the USVI tomorrow.

Wait just a second there Mr. Right! One of our maroons, perhaps one with a tremendous grasp of history, will be by to remind us how the Republicans freed the slaves and the Democrats are the party off the south.
    You have to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.