Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Restoration of 126ft 1929 (Steel yacht) l Cabinet Maker Marine joiner Needed.

Default Restoration of 126ft 1929 (Steel yacht) l Cabinet Maker Marine joiner Needed.

Hello,

I joined this forum hoping that I could find people who really appreciate quality marine woodworking.

I am seriously considering purchasing a 1929 Motor Yacht, 126ft steel hull and restoring her to her original state.
    I am fully aware of the cost and pitfalls of this type of project, I have done it before.

Although I have no financial difficulties, I am not a multi-millionaire! I can do most of the necessary work
    where her steelwork and mechanics are concerned as I own a small Marine Research Company and have a willing and capable
    welders with marine experience and I can rebuild her engines generators and anything mechanical myself.

What I do not have is a Cabinet Maker/Marine Carpenter-Joiner, ideally retired and living not too far from Seattle (Washington)
    who would be willing to return to work to restore the yacht's interiour. (Salary and expenses to be discussed)
    Most of her cabinet work, woodwork is reasonably intact and needs only to have
    nearly 90 years of varnish and some US Navy paint removed before being restored to it's original beauty. (she spent many years in the hands of the US Navy)
    Some woodwork will have to be replaced, I have many original photographs.

At present I am calculation costs, before deciding whether to go ahead and purchase her. Most of the work is cosmetic, undoing years of neglect and wear.
    Her Teak Laid Decks will have to be replaced completely with 10mm Teak planking, this alone is 200 000 USD+.

If anyone is interested or can help, please contact me and I will give a more detailed explanation.

I live at present in Valencia, Spain but would move to Seattle for a couple of years, if I decide to purchase the yacht.

Default Re: Restoration of 126ft 1929 (Steel yacht) l Cabinet Maker Marine joiner Needed.

I assume you are talking about the Acania based on your user name? Wonderful boat and a longtime fixture around Seattle, slowly rusting away at various moorings for as long as I can remember. I've daydreamed of buying and restoring her myself. There are actually a couple of large yachts with that name kicking around, so if anyone is curious and searches, this is the one I think we are talking about, yes?

http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/...hp?lid=1549632

That's a worthy project - I wish you the best of luck with her and I would love to see her brought back to life. As for local marine joiners/cabinetmakers... I think there are probably a few people who could take on a job this size around Seattle. You might try contacting the Classic Yacht Association - they may be able to put you in touch with some of the people who own and/or run other large yachts (Diane Lander and Rick Etsell come to mind) and they would probably know of local resources. The CYA website is http://classicyacht.org/classicyachts/. You could also try the Virginia V Foundation that operates the steam ferry by the same name (https://www.virginiav.org/).
    - Chris

https://fvpetrel.wordpress.com

Life is short. Go boating now!

Default Re: Restoration of 126ft 1929 (Steel yacht) l Cabinet Maker Marine joiner Needed.

Hello,
    Many thanks for your reply, will The Classic Yacht Assn and the Virginia V. Yes it is Acania, launched in 1929, Built y Pusey & Jones. I have uploaded some photographs, the black and white ones were taken in June 1929. Her sister, built in 1930 was recently beautifully restored, at I believe, the cost of 10 000 000 US. Fortunately the one I wish to buy seems will not need as much financial investment but more personal physical investment. Her engines and generators run, her hull seems ok. I will use a Cygnus 4 to test. I hope that the owner will agree to me having her lifted out for a hull survey in Seattle. As I said previously I would move to Seattle either to live aboard or nearby during the refit/restoration. I previously restored a wooden ketch but as much as I like wood it is not practical for me. I live most of the time aboard an 80ft fiberglass schooner on which I have sailed in most of the worlds oceans with my two young sons. However the Tender to Acania, should all go as planned will be a restored 1920s wooden motor boat as well as a 1920s wooden sailing dinghy.

Thanks again,

Wolfram.

20160628_200449.jpgAcania 1929 Wells Pusey & Jones (6).JPG545504_0_080620101113_27.jpgAcania 1929 Wells Pusey & Jones (7).JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Acania; 09-13-2017 at 10:05 PM.

Best of luck to you. She looks like she would be a fasenating project. Her engine room looks quite serviceable.

Welcome to the forum Wolfram. This looks like such a fantastic project and a terrific vessel that I really hope that all works out for you and that you do go ahead with it - I also hope that you will hang around here on this forum to allow us to follow progress of the restoration.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

I'm willing to ignore that she's not made of wood in order to follow your progress on both her interior joinery and since there's engines in the Charles W. Morgan volunteer thread, her mechanicals as well.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Wolfram, a few other things to consider as I assume you may not be familiar with the Seattle area? If this photo is recent it looks like she is moored in Everett on the slough.

I don't know if there are any facilities in Seattle able to haul a boat as large as Acania that are located outside of the Ballard Locks. All the ones I can think of are inside the locks, meaning you would need to get her through the locks for a haulout and survey. Depending on the capabilities of the current owner, your resources and her condition I imagine that could be costly and time-consuming (thinking tow boats, paid crew, etc.). Your best option might be to haul out in Port Townsend. They have a 300 ton lift there which should be capable of hauling Acania. It's a similar distance from Everett but no locks to get through and fees will probably be a bit less as well.
    - Chris

Reminds me of Fair Lady..... she ended up being a LOT of work.....

Quote Originally Posted by cstevens View Post
    Wolfram, a few other things to consider as I assume you may not be familiar with the Seattle area? If this photo is recent it looks like she is moored in Everett on the slough.

I don't know if there are any facilities in Seattle able to haul a boat as large as Acania that are located outside of the Ballard Locks. All the ones I can think of are inside the locks, meaning you would need to get her through the locks for a haulout and survey. Depending on the capabilities of the current owner, your resources and her condition I imagine that could be costly and time-consuming (thinking tow boats, paid crew, etc.). Your best option might be to haul out in Port Townsend. They have a 300 ton lift there which should be capable of hauling Acania. It's a similar distance from Everett but no locks to get through and fees will probably be a bit less as well.

Hello,

Thank you for your reply, I am glad that I joined this forum.
    Yes, the Old Steamboat Slough, I know Seattle and all the area well, but only from the water, I was in Anacortes and Victoria BC about two months ago and spent two days in Belleview. As master of a Research Vessel I know most of the ports in the USA but I have also sailed the area for pleasure on many occasions. I was intending to dry dock her in Lake Union (Lake Union Dry Dock Company) but I will telephone Port Townsend (I was not aware they could haul her, thank you!) tomorrow to ascertain the cost, the distance is about the same but if it became necessary to tow then I would prefer Port Townsend. The current owner just wants to sell and the price is very reasonable. I think that the restoration will be around
    1 000 000 US if I complete most of the steel work and mechanical/electrical work myself with two of my employees. The interiour woodwork is in reasonable condition I think that 20% will have to be remade or replaced the rest "just" needs time and patience and skill to bring it back to life. The highest single cost will be replacing all the Teak Deck with 10mm naturally dried/weathered teak . I earn a reasonable living but this project will be a... I was going to say investment... but I mean pleasure I will probably charter her in the summer until I retire, or sell a house I own and live aboard with my two sons, but I have to buy her first.

I presume you are from the Seattle area as you know the slough? Do you know a company in the area capable of laying a complete new teak deck (Main and boat deck) Vacuum Glued with Sika not epoxy glue?

Regards,

Wolfram.

^^ Wolfram, it certainly sounds like you have the resources to take on Acania. I hope it works out as I would very much like to see her operational again. I do know Seattle well, having lived here for most of my life. Unfortunately all of my experience is in much smaller boats so I don't have any knowledge of companies with the sort of capabilities that you would need for Acania. I'm certain that they exist though as there are many large classic yachts in the area. I would start with the Classic Yacht Association and the Virginia V Foundation and see if they can help. Possibly also Foss Maritime as they maintain the Thea Foss. And good luck!
    - Chris

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post

Reminds me of Fair Lady..... she ended up being a LOT of work.....

Hello,

Yes, Fair Lady is a year older and about the same size I think, however she was in bad condition before restoration and all was done by a professional yard. Have you sailed on her? I have seen her on a number of occasions but I have never been aboard.If I had the money to spend I would probably have the Royal Huisman Yard do all the work, but then again, no, I don't want an off the shelf toy, I want to personally restore her, with help of course. The Acania looks bad but it is more cosmetic than anything else. Her cabins and 70-75% of her woodwork are intact, her engines and generators function and I am quite capable of stripping them and overhauling them if necessary. I do intend to eventually replace her engines with 2 x 500 or 600 HP second hand, Yanmars, but her present engines are quite adequate for the moment and both easy to work on and find parts for at a reasonable price. She will need an addition of a Grey Water and Black Water tank but other than a Radar and Radio there will be very little modern equipment aboard, unless I decide to charter. I navigate with a sextant, when not navigating professionally, my two sons 8 and 10 can take sun and star sights and calculate an accurate position. They have already navigated our sailing yacht from Spain to Australia via Buenos Aires, Cape Horn, Chiloé New Zealand. I merely verified calculations. There is no GPS aboard. Probably the three of us were born at least 100 year too late. If all goes well and I purchase Acania, I will, post regular reports on her restoration here.

Regards,

Wolfram.

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    I'm willing to ignore that she's not made of wood in order to follow your progress on both her interior joinery and since there's engines in the Charles W. Morgan volunteer thread, her mechanicals as well.
    Hello,

Mystic Seaport, I sail across from Spain to Maine and also cruise Rhode Island, quite often in summer with my sons when I can take time "ashore". If I had huge amounts of money, I would love to attempt a restoration of a vessel such as the C W Morgan. She is magnificent and a credit to those who built her, restored her and to the USA. My father learned to sail on a Russian sailing ship at the age of 14 before becoming an officer in the Navy. My grandfather sent him there as there was no equivalent school in Europe or UK. My mothers ancestors built clippers and other sailing ships and my fathers ancestors sailed them or war ships. I like wood, but I have to be practical. Arcania, if all goes as planned will have a sailing dinghy like this, even if I have to find someone capable of building it:d6021.jpgl2722-004.jpg and also a tender from 1930 or earlier, possibly a Dodge Runabout or a 22 ft Chris Craft Cadet.

Regards,

Wolfram.

Just some quick research I've done. http://www.ldolphin.org/rpl/acania/
    http://www.shipspotting.com/ships/ship.php?imo=8332813

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseO30 View Post
    Just some quick research I've done. http://www.ldolphin.org/rpl/acania/
    http://www.shipspotting.com/ships/ship.php?imo=8332813

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...+Steel+Fantail

Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Welcome to the forum Wolfram. This looks like such a fantastic project and a terrific vessel that I really hope that all works out for you and that you do go ahead with it - I also hope that you will hang around here on this forum to allow us to follow progress of the restoration.
    Thank you,
    If all goes well you may even get to see her (if you really are from the Gold Coast) as I intend to take her to Sydney and Taz once finished she has a range of 6000 NM. Hawaii, Samoa, Aukland, Sydney, Hobart. Easy run at 10K, Seattle Sydney with stopovers about 40 days. 32 with one refueling stop in Samoa. My own ship operates mostly in the Pacific at present so USA, Japan and Oz are regular stops. I like Australia but not the politics. My sons are fans of the first Skippy Series! But we are a somewhat eccentric family. I will remain on the forum even if this project does not go through as I have one in reserve, a 1905 90ft riveted steel hull schooner, presently a motor coaster still floating but non operational,which I would rebuild as a Bark or Barquentine. There is/was one in Australia "https://www.tradeboats.com.au/detail/tall-ship-topsail-schooner-429405" (I tried posting a a clickable link but when I continued typing text it continued as link in blue underlined etc. Do you know how to return to normal typing once link is posted?) The problem with restoring a vessel in Australia is obtaining a long term visa, high marina prices, tax etc. We were going to emigrate to Oz (wonderful high country property on the Murrumbidgee) but, I have my own company based offshore for tax reasons and I could not remain in Australia long enough to qualify as I spend most of my time at sea in international waters. I can not even purchase a property as a foreigner, and now you want to shoot all the camels and other non native fauna! (Well, depends what it is!) As I said the country is amazing, the people we have met were very welcoming, the sailing is great only the politics not to my liking.

Regards,

Wolfram.

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseO30 View Post
    http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...+Steel+Fantail

Thank you, I actually became very interested in her from the Idolphin site ages ago. The photo of her bridge is what the US Navy did to her, I am waiting for more photographs from 1929 from a museum, but this shows her original bridge: https://books.google.fr/books?id=v6z...0House&f=false

Quote Originally Posted by Acania View Post
    Thank you,
    If all goes well you may even get to see her (if you really are from the Gold Coast) as I intend to take her to Sydney and Taz once finished she has a range of 6000 NM. Hawaii, Samoa, Aukland, Sydney, Hobart. Easy run at 10K, Seattle Sydney with stopovers about 40 days. 32 with one refueling stop in Samoa. My own ship operates mostly in the Pacific at present so USA, Japan and Oz are regular stops. I like Australia but not the politics. My sons are fans of the first Skippy Series! But we are a somewhat eccentric family. I will remain on the forum even if this project does not go through as I have one in reserve, a 1905 90ft riveted steel hull schooner, presently a motor coaster still floating but non operational,which I would rebuild as a Bark or Barquentine. There is/was one in Australia "https://www.tradeboats.com.au/detail/tall-ship-topsail-schooner-429405" (I tried posting a a clickable link but when I continued typing text it continued as link in blue underlined etc. Do you know how to return to normal typing once link is posted?) The problem with restoring a vessel in Australia is obtaining a long term visa, high marina prices, tax etc. We were going to emigrate to Oz (wonderful high country property on the Murrumbidgee) but, I have my own company based offshore for tax reasons and I could not remain in Australia long enough to qualify as I spend most of my time at sea in international waters. I can not even purchase a property as a foreigner, and now you want to shoot all the camels and other non native fauna! (Well, depends what it is!) As I said the country is amazing, the people we have met were very welcoming, the sailing is great only the politics not to my liking.

Regards,

Wolfram.
    We’ll look forward to seeing you here Wolfram. Re posting links and typing, others may do it differently but I just add the link where I want it after I’ve finished typing or I type the first word that I plan after the link, paste the link back before the word and then continue typing.....nothing particularly scientific.

https://www.tradeboats.com.au/detail...chooner-429405

Re shooting all of our camels - not altogether true, we cull some of them to control numbers and we export a considerable number to Saudi Arabia as they are considered better than those available there being still quite pure from when they first came to Oz and disease free.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

I do not hate you or anyone, but I do not appreciate inane comments or uninformed judgements. I do not suffer fools gladly and I thoroughly dislike being insulted. I have in the past restored a 70ft wooden vessel but the Acania is a vessel I would like to restore for my own use. Wood, though very nice is not practical where I am concerned. I joined this forum to seek advice from people who have experience and with the exception of yourself all those who have replied have been friendly and helpful. Perhaps you drink too much or have a personality problem, in that case seek treatment. Perhaps you are just obnoctious and rude. Note that the SS United States is 990ft in length and would probably cost in excess of 100 000 000 to restore, she was built in 1950 and although she was fast sh is no classic. Acania is a classic that I would like to preserve and sail. By the way she measures 126ft which is 884 ft longer than Acania. Your comparison of the two is completely irrelevant. Electronics to keep rust under control? Sacrificial Anodes yes but nothing more. She has survived since 1929. No grand plan, just a private classic yacht like her sister. https://marinefabricatormag.com/2015...-yacht-acania/ As for objective thinking, pleasure is not objective, however I can afford to restore her if I complete much of the work myself, the decks and other woodwork will be done by experienced ships carpenters and joiners. I am the master of a research salvage vessel which I own, I have been at sea since I was 14 when I entered a naval college in the UK. I own an 80 ft Schooner on which I live in Spain when I am not professionally at sea. I somehow think that I am qualified to make my own decisions. What I want to hear is advice as to finding qualified people to work on the vessel, suggestions from those who have experience in fitting out or restoring a wood (White Oak) interiour and any other helpful advice. As for my ego, I am not sure or the relevance. I am asking for useful advice before embarking on a project which I have spent nearly two years studying. Had you been a man I would very much like to have met you in person, perhaps at the Anchor Yacht Club! Are you perhaps jealous because you no longer have a boat? I have earned the money I will be putting into this or any other project. I will pay anyone who works for me as I pay my crew, I am selling nothing.

Regards,

Wolfram.

I for one look forward to seeing this project progress if he decides to go ahead with it. I can't say I see any ego but really, what great deeds have been done throughout history that were not accomplished by someone with at least a bit of an ego? I say crack on Wolfram and let's see the product of your efforts in a few year's time.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

sounds like a worthy project-saving a boat, what ever it is. good luck on this and please keep us up to date. i am a newcomer here, but i am on this forum to learn as much as i can and just enjoy the pleasure of being around boats. welcome

jim

Thank you, I will do so, I believe that I can restore her to her 1929 glory but I need people who appreciate and know wood as her interiour is all wood.
    Acania Launch 01.jpgAcania Launch 02.jpgThese are photographs of her main deck saloon and her dining room taken in June 1929 before she left the yard which built her. The paneling is White Oak.

Regards,

Wolfram.

Wolfram, Fair Lady "looked" better than what she turned out to be, however once the paint was blasted off and the plating inspected, much more was replaced than originally expected, it added a great deal of time and expense to the initial costings. I worked on the Fair Lady project from start to finish. If you have welders at your disposal, not a bad thing and with the low price of steel at present, even a lot of plate could be replaced for "reasonable" cost (however you define it).

Wolfram, Fair Lady "looked" better than what she turned out to be, however once the paint was blasted off and the plating inspected, much more was replaced than originally expected, it added a great deal of time and expense to the initial costings. I worked on the Fair Lady project from start to finish. If you have welders at your disposal, not a bad thing and with the low price of steel at present, even a lot of plate could be replaced for "reasonable" cost (however you define it).

Hello,
    I read that at least 30% of her hull had to be replaced? That's quite a few square feet of steel. Acanias underwater hull was completely replaced in the late 60's by the US Navy and she has spent the last 20+ years in fresh water although she is now in brackish water in the Slough. I will fly to Seattle as soon as I can and do a preliminary under water sonic survey, I use the Cygnus 4 which ignores paint and growth and is very accurate. If all seems well I will then have her lifted out for a professional survey. If all goes as I would wish and if indeed I purchase her I would immediately have her shafts drawn, bearings replaces, through hull fittings replaced, anodes fitted and the hull repainted and antifouled before putting her back in the water for the main work to be carried out, I will supervise the steelwork, ie, new after part of boat deck which was removed years ago. New Bridge/pilot house bulwark, which she did not have originally but which was added in the 1950's and removes again a few years ago, but which I prefer especially in bad weather. Is the Fair Lady painted with an Epoxy Compound to give the hull a smoother look? I am not sure what paint I will use but West Marine have always gone out of their way to advise me in the past. Again I would do as much work as possible myself or with professional but non "yard" assistance. Boatyard quotes from Spain to The USA via Holland and the UK vary from expensive to downright ridiculous for exactly the same work. We recently had a 72 meter Research Vessel repainted completely at "reasonable" cost and high quality protection but the look is not the same as for a Yacht. (Work overalls v Gieves and Hawke!) I think I would rent a scaffolding, to build a complete closed shelter for her then chilled iron blast back to bare metal hot, with immediate hot zinc application. The problems are positive air pressure in shelter whilst blasting and coating, dry air as steel will be bare for a short period the alternative is Zink Chromate/Strontium Chromate primer on freshly blasted steel! Both options are effective. I do not have the budget that the Owners of Fair Lady or the other Acania had. (I believe that restoring the 1930 Acania cost 10 000 000. US) This is the result am aiming at: Vancouver 1954.jpg The biggest single professional yard, job and cost will be completely replacing her teak laid decks (main and boat) I want vacuum glued, 10mm on Sika not epoxy glue. As for "reasonable cost" for me it means finding retired or still active professionals who would carry out the work at an agreed salary. The coefficient yard cost/ individual salary per worker is 30% or more of the cost of the restoration. There are many very capable retired experienced professionals looking for work, even on a short contract I would rather have them work for me than pay a yard (unless we find a Spanish Treasure galleon) outrageous fees unless absolutely necessary. ie Deck. Seriously, even if I had an unlimited budget I prefer working with people I can get to know individually and learn from.

Regards,

Wolfram.

...completely replacing her teak laid decks (main and boat) I want vacuum glued, 10mm on Sika not epoxy glue.
    Why Sika rather than epoxy?

I'm just curious; I don't at all mean to challenge your decision. I know nothing about the process.

This looks like an amazing project, and I hope it goes ahead.

Alex

From what i recall, i would not have been surprised if it was more than 30% of the plating, as what was left was needle gunned over a 2 week period of night shifts. She had an entire coating of epoxy filler/ mud on the topsides, and 4 man fairing boards. I think the yard was doing a lot of work with Epifaines at the time, all 2-pack stuff sprayed during the night.
    The original 3in teak decking was removed in short sections between deckbeams with a chainsaw and replaced with a steel deck with teak overlay. I was mostly involved in removing and replacing of the original furniture and machining timber for what was being replaced, i do recall several containers of teak going into her.....

From what i recall, i would not have been surprised if it was more than 30% of the plating, as what was left was needle gunned over a 2 week period of night shifts. She had an entire coating of epoxy filler/ mud on the topsides, and 4 man fairing boards. I think the yard was doing a lot of work with Epifaines at the time, all 2-pack stuff sprayed during the night.
    The original 3in teak decking was removed in short sections between deckbeams with a chainsaw and replaced with a steel deck with teak overlay. I was mostly involved in removing and replacing of the original furniture and machining timber for what was being replaced, i do recall several containers of teak going into her.....
    Needle guns, how many man hours? Why not chilled Iron blasting, we have needle guns on board my ship but I would hate to attempt to remove very large areas of paint or rust with one. It seems that she was also in bad condition inside? At least the Acania still has most of her original furniture and paneling which can be restored rather than replaced.

Your location says, Sweden Scilly Isles and Siberia! Do you ever visit Seattle? It seems that you are the type of person that I am looking for if and when I purchase her..

Regards,

Wolf.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitsligo View Post
    Why Sika rather than epoxy?

I'm just curious; I don't at all mean to challenge your decision. I know nothing about the process.

This looks like an amazing project, and I hope it goes ahead.

Alex
    Hello,
    Fair question, I will try to answer it as succinctly as possible.
    Sika is flexible, long life and will hold the wood for years without through deck fastenings. Epoxy is brittle and rigid compared to Sika (or silicone based compounds) and even a steel vessel flexes as does a wooden one, but it is the wood of the deck that needs to be able to move, expand, contract with the changes in humidity temperature and movement. The Sika range of products are far superiour, (in my opinion) to anything else on the market. Personally I prefer a deep joint deck lay rather than symetric or asymetric lay although it is far more difficult to do correctly. Sika as both "glue" and caulking if properly used will outlast any other method that I know of, completely exclude all moisture from between the steel (plywood, fiberglass, aluminium etc.) Sika caulking is second to none in flexibility and leak protection. NB: correct preparation of the deck prior to beginning work is as important as the products used. Others may not share my opinion but I am speaking from personal experience on wooden, steel and aluminium vessels. The the result is well worth the financial output. In Acanias case her original deck was well laid, screwed to the steel and it has withstood the test of time, weather and abuse: Attachment 3546

I will not comment on the classic method as I have owned only one yacht which was aluminium and the deck had been fastened with low grade steel screws, the teak survived but 20% or the aluminium deck had to be replaced after 5 years. Fortunately this is not standard procedure. (even in France)

I am not trying to promote any product but merely state my recommendation based on experience or the product and the advice from the company as to its use. There are companies who produce wonderful electronic equipment but whose, after (or before) sales service is execrable.

Regards,

it may be a good idea to remove all the interior woodwork, then replate the hull, then make sure all the machinery is working properly, before you start the deck and fitting out
    Boat Designer

because if things go wrong, then at least you can move the boat, and you have something sound, the hull and machinery which you can sell
    Boat Designer

Quote Originally Posted by peter radclyffe View Post
    it may be a good idea to remove all the interior woodwork, then replate the hull, then make sure all the machinery is working properly, before you start the deck and fitting out
    Hello,

The interiour woodwork is in fair to good condition and is mostly original, no rot etc. Some was removed but I think that only 20-25% will have to be made, the rest will need sanding back to the wood and re varnishing.
    As for the hull, If replating is needed I will remove all that is necessary inside before commencing work, all welds will be inside and out, . The deck may well be done in Europe once everything is finished and she is ready to go to sea all depends on whether I can find a yard near Seattle which will carry out the work as I require. I have a quote from a very competent yard Europe who work as I want. Her engines are old but are run up regularly as are her gen-sets, I really will not know more until I have sonic tested the hull. her underwater hull was replaced in the late 60s by the US Navy and seems in very good condition. Her Bridge/Pilot House will have to be re roofed and possibly replaced (It is wood).

I hope to be able to take a few days leave very soon and spend a week going over her, at that point, should I decide to purchase I will compile a full photographic documentation and my sons will start a website so people can follow her refurbishment should they so wish.

I still have to find a Marine Carpenter/Joiner willing to work for me where she is moored. I like wood but can never get it to do what I want! I am far more gifted with metalwork and mechanics, but not an expert.

Regards,

Wolfram.

Quote Originally Posted by Acania View Post
    Needle guns, how many man hours? Why not chilled Iron blasting, we have needle guns on board my ship but I would hate to attempt to remove very large areas of paint or rust with one. It seems that she was also in bad condition inside? At least the Acania still has most of her original furniture and paneling which can be restored rather than replaced.
    Pretty much the entire interior was removed, including the concrete ballast, under which the plate was sound. There was mostly sand/grit blasting done on the exterior, i believe the thought was the time involved in clearing out used sand and grit from the inside was more time consuming than a bunch of guys with needle guns, completing one small section at a time and then priming the plate immidiately after. For the man hours involved at yard prices, i still think it would have been cheaper to build a new hull from scratch and just use the interior and machinery from the original boat,most of the original went back in, except for a new design crew quarters up forward; but thats in hindsight and i dont believe anyone at the time realised just how much plating would end up being removed, certainly not the owner.
    EDIT: The teak over steel deck was bonded with a polyurethane, much as you describe, though lead weights were used rather than vacumn bagging.
    Last edited by skaraborgcraft; 09-15-2017 at 04:37 AM.

The location of the boat, Steamboat Slough is a final resting place for dead and dying vessels.

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/slide...to-6953201.php
    Last edited by pcford; 09-15-2017 at 12:49 PM.

Fair question, I will try to answer it as succinctly as possible.
    Thank you. That all makes good sense. I expect the expansion/contraction differences between wood and steel --humidity and temperature both-- make Sika just the stuff to use.

...one yacht which was aluminium and the deck had been fastened with low grade steel screws...
    Ah jeeze! I'll just bet that was a mess.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by pcford View Post
    The location of the boat, Steamboat Slough is a final resting place for dead and dying vessels.

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/slide...to-6953201.php
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Pitsligo View Post
    Thank you. That all makes good sense. I expect the expansion/contraction differences between wood and steel --humidity and temperature both-- make Sika just the stuff to use.

Ah jeeze! I'll just bet that was a mess.

Alex
    Hello Alex,

It is not only between steel and wood but fiberglass, aluminium and even a sub deck of plywood, wood, especially in a marine environment contracts, expands and continues to live its own life.

It was, she was a 60ft Sloop well designed for heavy weather sailing by the French Architect Guy Ribadeau-Dumas but built by a French yard that cut down on costs without the owner knowing. I noticed one day when a friend to whom I had lent the yacht phoned me to say "why are there little piles of salt everywhere, are you superstitious...?" (He knew nothing about aluminium) Every screw hole through the deck, there were a couple of hundred, had oxidised. It took two a two year battle with the insurance to get them to pay up. The yard is still building yachts!

Wolfram.