Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Restoration of 126ft 1929 (Steel yacht) l Cabinet Maker Marine joiner Needed.

Default Re: Restoration of 126ft 1929 (Steel yacht) l Cabinet Maker Marine joiner Needed.

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    Pretty much the entire interior was removed, including the concrete ballast, under which the plate was sound. There was mostly sand/grit blasting done on the exterior, i believe the thought was the time involved in clearing out used sand and grit from the inside was more time consuming than a bunch of guys with needle guns, completing one small section at a time and then priming the plate immidiately after. For the man hours involved at yard prices, i still think it would have been cheaper to build a new hull from scratch and just use the interior and machinery from the original boat,most of the original went back in, except for a new design crew quarters up forward; but thats in hindsight and i dont believe anyone at the time realised just how much plating would end up being removed, certainly not the owner.
    EDIT: The teak over steel deck was bonded with a polyurethane, much as you describe, though lead weights were used rather than vacumn bagging.
    It must have been an interesting project. She certainly looks perfect. I will only purchase Acania if the hull is ok. I intend to keep her interiour layout 100% original. There are always surprises in a project of that size, I will do my utmost to ensure that I do not make the mistake that so many others have made.

Default Re: Restoration of 126ft 1929 (Steel yacht) l Cabinet Maker Marine joiner Needed.

Hi -

I'm not sure what prompted post #18 - but I'm sorry someone was rude. Maybe their post was removed? If so - good.

I am looking forward to hearing more about this project - though can add little more than encouragement.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Hi -

I'm not sure what prompted post #18 - but I'm sorry someone was rude. Maybe their post was removed? If so - good.

I am looking forward to hearing more about this project - though can add little more than encouragement.

Hello Garret.

Thank you for your message. It seems that their post has been removed, just an unfortunate incident, my presence here seems to have created a little animosity although I am not sure why. One can not always expect to be accepted by everyone. Fortunately, as you can see most people here who have sent me a message are friendly and encouraging. I just hope that it will continue.

Regards,

Wolfram.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Hi -

Quote Originally Posted by Acania View Post
    Hello Garret.

Thank you for your message. It seems that their post has been removed, just an unfortunate incident, my presence here seems to have created a little animosity although I am not sure why. One can not always expect to be accepted by everyone. Fortunately, as you can see most people here who have sent me a message are friendly and encouraging. I just hope that it will continue.

Regards,

Wolfram.

Yes, I saw that immediately following my own post and had to go back and check what I’d said that may have come across so as to elicit such a response ........ then assumed it must have been something deleted.

Who knows what motivates some people to post some of what they do, there can be some very condescending and patronising a-holes on here and you just have to take the good with the bad unfortunately.

Mostly everyone here really do make for good on-line friends and sounding boards for our plans and ideas and to simply offer encouragement when you need it. But we have also had our fair share of trolls posting made-up stories of refits, builds and rebuilds and some longer term forumites can be somewhat distrusting of some of the more grander plans such as your own.

Others are, as you say, simply jealous, grumpy, sour, miserable, sad or all of the above and just can’t help themselves..
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Acania View Post
    Hello Garret.

Regards,

Wolfram.
    It's not you sir! Larks puts it very well. I hope you'll ignore the curmudgeons/jerks & continue to post about this adventure.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

A very exciting project, she has good lines and proportions and I look forward to the continuing thread.
    Europe may well be a better place for the work, but she is not there.
    If you are to do the work yourself I presume you have access to a suitable mooring with a working crane? Unless of course she could be rigged to do her own lifting?

I hasten to add I have absolutely no experience with steel boats, except a stint chipping rust and helping to restore a WW2 corvette built to be 'disposable'.