Thread: On my desk!

Default On my desk!

A huntsman, about 3'' across eating a cricket.Huntman.jpg
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Default Re: On my desk!

Seriously, I don't know how you Australians do it!

Is there anything down there that doesn't walk, crawl, slither, or swim that can't kill you?
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --

Harmless more or less. I remember them dropping onto the bed from the ceiling as a child. We would pick them up and toss them outside. Still do here. They are very cold to touch.

Yeah, so . . . Spiders are my kryptonite . . . But I logged on just to see the pic. Because I'm a glutton for punishment and fascinated by things that scare the bejebbous out of me.
    "Please be more specific or we'll choose to order a cheaper bilge-rat to replace you."

~seanz

They can give you a bite that will draw blood, but not poisonous. We use them for insect control here in the land down under. Very handy.

Australia, where men are men...

I don't like spiders at all.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Harmless more or less.
    Not if you are a cricket!

From FB
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

I can still feel the funnel-web spider bite that I got about 25 years ago. Bastard got into my overalls that were hanging up to dry near the firewood. Bit me on the bum when I bent over. Bit me again when I scratched at the first bite. I ripped the bastard to bits.... drove to the doctor's... he took a look at the spider's remains "nah, not a male... you'll live, but call an ambulance if you start foaming at the mouth".
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Maybe that's why Australians appear to be good natured folks with so many bastards around.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    ... he took a look at the spider's remains "nah, not a male... you'll live, ...
    The males are more dangerous?

I can still feel the funnel-web spider bite that I got about 25 years ago. Bastard got into my overalls that were hanging up to dry near the firewood. Bit me on the bum when I bent over. Bit me again when I scratched at the first bite. I ripped the bastard to bits.... drove to the doctor's... he took a look at the spider's remains "nah, not a male... you'll live, but call an ambulance if you start foaming at the mouth".
    You were lucky Ian, those funnel webs are not kind.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    The males are more dangerous?
    The males have a different venom. They are the deadly ones, not the females. There is now an anti-venom serum available. I've had some close encounters with males, including a couple of times where I've almost trodden on one with bare feet, but no bites.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Australia is full of lovely people, but I don't think I could take the wildlife.

As a kid you'd sometimes find an old sheet of iron lying about. Toss it over and you'd find a swarm of redbacks, maybe a mouse or two or a snake.
    But we don't have coyotes, cougars, bears, an armed population and gun happy cops. You have your own venomous snakes.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    Maybe that's why Australians appear to be good natured folks with so many bastards around.
    Yes, the wildlife can have their moments, but if you are concerned about the really risky stuff, steer clear of the politicians.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

As a kid you'd sometimes find an old sheet of iron lying about. Toss it over and you'd find a swarm of redbacks, maybe a mouse or two or a snake.
    But we don't have coyotes, cougars, bears, an armed population and gun happy cops. You have your own venomous snakes.
    Ah, but the Drop Bears? Every visitor to Australia should be warned about the Drop Bears. Dangerous things Drop Bears.

John Welsford

Coyotes, cougars and black bears don't worry me. Grizzlies are dangerous, but not as dangerous as an armed population and gun happy cops. They do worry me.

Had a huntsman drop onto my lap when I pulled down the sun visor as i was driving to work one morning........ scared the crap out of me! ........ held my composure, slowly pulled over, got out and swept the bastard off the seat and out of the car.
    No where near as bad as when you are going for a jog and out of the corner of your eye, to the right, you see a red belly black snake arched with a flat head like a cobra ready to strike! ......instant six foot jump to the left like a gazelle! Didn't know I could move like that!
    Last edited by Hallam; 09-12-2017 at 07:21 PM.
    If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question

I love the sound of crickets at night.
    I'm afraid that spider would be splatted in no time on my desk.
    It's all in the reflexes.
    Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

Texas has some interesting spiders………..

Quote Originally Posted by john welsford View Post
    Ah, but the Drop Bears? Every visitor to Australia should be warned about the Drop Bears. Dangerous things Drop Bears.

John Welsford
    Yeah, my dopey girlfriend was just giving me a dumb look here. I was yelling at her to look out for the Drop Bear. Luckily, it didn't get her

It occurs to me there is one spider that I do like: Callinectes sapidus.

There is no venom, but the Old Bay has some potency.

Yeah, my dopey girlfriend was just giving me a dumb look here. I was yelling at her to look out for the Drop Bear. Luckily, it didn't get her

They're pretty well camouflaged, if you look really hard you can just make out the shape of a pair of them crouching in the fork of that big gum tree. Damn things are really hard to spot when you're walking in the bush.

John Welsford

There are big spiders in the southern US. I was walking down a street in Fayetteville, Arkansas when I felt someone's hand on my shoulder. I turned to look & it was a green tree spider - roughly the size of a hand. I did not handle it gracefully.

A month or so later, I was riding down a red dirt road with a friend in his truck. As we came over a rise, I noticed that the road down at the bottom was black. I asked "There's a paved section here?". He grinned & didn't say anything. As we got there, it was a herd of tarantulas (see post # 21) crossing the road. Literally thousands & thousands & they were all at least 6" across - many bigger. Scott just drove through them. I lifted my feet off the floor of the truck...

There's a reason I live where it's too damn cold for 'em to make it through the winter.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

The biggest spider I ever saw was a "bird eating spider'' in the bush in New Guinea , I walked into the web in the bush and it stopped me, it took a good push to get through and get through i did! I wasn't staying near that one !

Google image.
    Grateful Dead

Cool Re: On my desk!

Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

Part of this was filmed in my workplace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bksvon-hSDM

Really bad movie.
    The best helping hand you will ever receive is the one at the end of your own arm.