Thread: Texas goes after price gougers !

Default Texas goes after price gougers !

Two are gas retailers! Now I hope they can reach into my neighborhood.

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton Sues Businesses for Hurricane Harvey Price Gouging

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton sued three Texas businesses on Tuesday for alleged price gouging tied to Hurricane Harvey.

Under Texas law, businesses are not allowed to charge excessive prices for essential goods such as food, medicine, water and fuel during a declared disaster.

"It's unconscionable that any business would take advantage of Texans at their most vulnerable – those who are displaced from their homes, have limited resources, and are in desperate need of fuel, shelter and the basic necessities of life," Paxton said in a news release. "Texas has tough price gouging laws, and my office will continue to aggressively investigate and prosecute cases arising from Hurricane Harvey."

Businesses targeted by the lawsuits include Robstown Enterprises, Inc., which Paxton's office said operated a Best Western Plus Tropic Inn in Robstown, Texas – a suburb of Corpus Christi.

According to the attorney general's office, the hotel allegedly charged three times its standard room rate the weekend Hurricane Harvey hit. Best Western, meanwhile, has reportedly terminated its relationship with Robstown Enterprises.

A second defendant is Bains Brothers, which Paxton said owns Texaco-branded gas stations in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. According to the release, two such stations allegedly charged $6.99 per gallon for regular fuel on Aug. 31, despite the advertised prices ranging from $3 to $4.

The last defendant targeted by the lawsuits is Encinal Fuel Stop, a Chevron-branded gas station outside of Laredo, Texas. The station allegedly charged $8.99 and $9.99 per gallon of regular fuel on Aug. 31, Paxton's office said.

Price gouging can carry a civil penalty of up to $20,000 for each violation, and an additional amount up to $250,000 for incidents that targeted people 65 years of age and older.

Paxton's office said its Consumer Protection Division had received more than 3,300 price gouging complaints tied to Harvey as of Tuesday.
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/compa...cid=spartandhp

Default Re: Texas goes after price gougers !

Texas doing something right! Hooray!

But isn't this free market capitalism at it's libertarian best?
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Texas likes libertarians. It's liberals they don't like. Or, I think that's right.

It's amazing in this time of omnipresent cameras and social media what people think they can get away with.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

I wish they would put the S.O.A.B.s in jail for about 5 - 10 years where the "big" boys reside and I'm not talking about "big" hands either.....matter of fact, I'm for a helluva lot tougher punishment for all kinds of so-called "white collar crime"......this Country of ours needs to break the backs of those that would manipulate and cheat their fellow Americans in pursuit of the almighty dollar. Too many times I've seen and heard of monetary fines that were peanuts to the perpetrators when a prison sentence under hellish conditions would send a message very quickly to all of us.
    The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation......Thoreau

^ We give fines to corporations, but rarely hold their officers accountable.

I was told about this law while down there. Apparently there's even a hotline people can call.
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".