Thread: Nutshell Spars

Default Nutshell Spars

Does anyone know the dimensions of the 7'7" Nutshell Pram's spars? Especially the mast; I can guess the yard and boom from Sailrite's sailplan.

I've got a dumb idea I'm playing with.

Thanks,
    Alex

Default Re: Nutshell Spars

My son is building one. I'll get back to you shortly, plans are in the shed, it's cold and wet outside, and I've only had my first coffee for the morning.

The mast is 8'3" from butt to tip. The diameter at the butt is 1 3/8", at 4' from the butt the diameter is 2 1/8" and at the tip it is 1 1/4". The tack for the sail is located at 1' 5 1/2" from the butt.

Does that do it for you? I can give you the boom and yard too, if you like. I built one of these a few years ago...loads of fun.
    -Paul
    s/v PickPocket

Poifect. Thank you. And sure, PaulGrun, if it's not too much trouble, I'll take the boom and yard dimensions too. Why not?

Theoretically my "Fliptail 7" does well with a sailing rig, but the designer specs an Opti sprit rig cut down to about 25 sqft. The Nutshell 7's standing lug rig is far more to my taste, so I've been thinking about making a Frankenboot hybrid, dropping a Nutshell 7's rig into my Fliptail 7: a Nutty Flipshell (if that isn't ominous, I don't know what is). I'd need to trim the Nutshell's sail back quite a bit, from its 37 sqft, but at least I'd have a lug instead of a sprit.

Anyway, it's still in the squint-and-cock-my-head pondering stage, but if I come across nice wood for spars I want to know how much to grab.

Thank you!

Alex

Couldn't you use both rigs together and have a little schooner? More strings to pull means more fun.

Couldn't you use both rigs together and have a little schooner? More strings to pull means more fun.
    You, Sir, are a troublemaker.

(But maybe a yawl... Hmm...)

Alex