Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thunderbirds are go

Default Re: Thunderbirds are go

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    Quit your fooling Garrett, that's a Phillip Rhodes design.
    You remembered my story from Rockland
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

The Thunderbirds have that 50's "modern" look to them that normally I would detest, but they somehow pull it off.

I really can't figure it out. Even some of the paint schemes are just awful, but on them it somehow looks right.

I guess that's the secret of good design? Maybe it's the natural cabin sides.

Check out Sailing Anarchy. They have a pretty cool Thunderbird photograph on the front page.

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    The Thunderbirds have that 50's "modern" look to them that normally I would detest, but they somehow pull it off.

I really can't figure it out. Even some of the paint schemes are just awful, but on them it somehow looks right.

I guess that's the secret of good design? Maybe it's the natural cabin sides.
    Is there much '50s in their design? I always thought they were extremely stark and functional but with moderate rake at bow, stern and cabin front, and that's a pretty timeless look.

I did a winter series on a mate's one. Nice boat, but almost all the Sydney fleet had already rotted and ours was on its way out. "Give me a bit more vang" could, and did, result in saying "okay, give it a bit less vang, and someone shove that square foot of deck back together will ya".
    Last edited by Chris249; 09-19-2017 at 09:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    They are essentially the first sportboat.
    Now THAT always starts a debate! Soon we'll have sandbaggers, Raters, Jollenkreuzers and the other usual suspects being touted as the real original sportsboat.

As long as we are talking Seaborn:

Juna is undergoing extensive work in the NWMC boatshop, if I read the poster right this is his first design.

Just of her port bow and out of the frame is yet another spitzgatter, the third one in the shop for work this year.
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

Juna is a pretty boat! I see he started his cockpit coamings as a continuation of the cabin sides early. Neoga (pictured above) had the same design originally, but an owner along the way widened the cockpit a bit. Wish it were still like that.

I had always thought Circe was his first, but could well be wrong. Do you have any more info on her? Mine was launched in 41, & I believe Nautilus & Tola were late 30's.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Wish it were still like that.
    that seems an easy fix
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

that seems an easy fix
    I kinda figured frames & planks were a bit more important...

No more than a week or 3 + easily $1K worth of teak.

No more than a week or 3
    that's what i told kat when we decided to change the tub and toilet in her bathroom
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

that's what i told kat when we decided to change the tub and toilet in her bathroom
    If that had been all you ended up doing, then probably true enough...

Juna is a pretty boat! I see he started his cockpit coamings as a continuation of the cabin sides early. Neoga (pictured above) had the same design originally, but an owner along the way widened the cockpit a bit. Wish it were still like that.

I had always thought Circe was his first, but could well be wrong. Do you have any more info on her? Mine was launched in 41, & I believe Nautilus & Tola were late 30's.
    You're right, Garret, Circe was his first. I think Juna and sisterships Lightning Bird and (?Lively Lady?) were his next designs - I figure at about the time he was hanging out at the Blanchard Yard. I can imagine Blanchard promoting this design for customers that wanted a smaller sailboat. I can also imagine that the Blanchard knockabout was a simplification of the Juna design (Blanchard is credited as the designer) so that a boat of that size could be built at less cost.

I first saw Juna and met its owner, Luke Tornatsky, when I was poking around Anchor Jensen's yard. Anchor was letting owners work on their own boats (and at their own pace - think years..) at that time and there were several Blanchard Knockabouts and Juna among others.

Lightning Bird had quite a bit of work done 8-10 years ago by Brad Rice under John Goodfellow's ownership.

Norm Blanchard told me that the third boat of this design (?Lively Lady?) sunk on Lake Washington. It's cold and deep so not much oxygen - perhaps one day perhaps she'll be discovered.

Tola and We're Here (now Arroyo) were '37 and Nautilus was '41. Sunda and Nautilus are sisterships, except that Sunda has a bridgedeck and a taller cabin.

I'm always amazed at the chunks of teak that make up the cabin sides and coamings on Nautilus.... That board on Neoga II must have been a monster!

Quote Originally Posted by stromborg View Post
    As long as we are talking Seaborn:

Juna is undergoing extensive work in the NWMC boatshop, if I read the poster right this is his first design.

Just of her port bow and out of the frame is yet another spitzgatter, the third one in the shop for work this year.
    Ya I remember helping a guy restore one back in the old days, way back in 73.. (story shortened)....I used a circular saw to saw off the entire rotten bow, in the shop next to the UW Ocean department on lake Union. Epoxied a new one on!

I got out of school just as I finished....thankfully!...that was a close one!
    PaulF

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I put T Birds on Tides artwork.
    Here is their recent poster from a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    CW, you could always trailer-sail it - this one is for sale in the Owen Sound region of Ontario (Canada, for those who might think I am referring to California) for USD$3,200, with sails, trailer, roller-furling jib, etc. And to gently and politely correct, it is McVay, not McKay...

Looks very much like my old Knickerbocker One Design.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Inside cover of Tides Tavern menu