Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thunderbirds are go

Default Re: Thunderbirds are go

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    Quit your fooling Garrett, that's a Phillip Rhodes design.
    You remembered my story from Rockland
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

The Thunderbirds have that 50's "modern" look to them that normally I would detest, but they somehow pull it off.

I really can't figure it out. Even some of the paint schemes are just awful, but on them it somehow looks right.

I guess that's the secret of good design? Maybe it's the natural cabin sides.

Check out Sailing Anarchy. They have a pretty cool Thunderbird photograph on the front page.

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    The Thunderbirds have that 50's "modern" look to them that normally I would detest, but they somehow pull it off.

I really can't figure it out. Even some of the paint schemes are just awful, but on them it somehow looks right.

I guess that's the secret of good design? Maybe it's the natural cabin sides.
    Is there much '50s in their design? I always thought they were extremely stark and functional but with moderate rake at bow, stern and cabin front, and that's a pretty timeless look.

I did a winter series on a mate's one. Nice boat, but almost all the Sydney fleet had already rotted and ours was on its way out. "Give me a bit more vang" could, and did, result in saying "okay, give it a bit less vang, and someone shove that square foot of deck back together will ya".
    Last edited by Chris249; 09-19-2017 at 08:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    They are essentially the first sportboat.
    Now THAT always starts a debate! Soon we'll have sandbaggers, Raters, Jollenkreuzers and the other usual suspects being touted as the real original sportsboat.

As long as we are talking Seaborn:

Juna is undergoing extensive work in the NWMC boatshop, if I read the poster right this is his first design.

Just of her port bow and out of the frame is yet another spitzgatter, the third one in the shop for work this year.
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler