Thread: Horny !!

Default Horny !!

I saw these guys today, an unusual breed for this area

P9121112.jpg

P9121113.jpg
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Default Re: Horny !!

Evolution does seem to do some weird stuff sometimes.

Saw a guy riding one of those down the middle of the street in Bandera Texas. Tied it to a hitching post and went into a bar. None of the locals gave it a second glance.
    That photo reminds me a lot of the Hill Country west of Austin. Pretty place.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

They're first Long Horns I've ever seen around here, Poll Herefords are the usual run.
    Grateful Dead

Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

There are several Texas Longhorn breeders in Australia with registered cattle.

Aside from being nearly trapped in a fire yesterday, I had a stand off with a bull. I was on the motorbike trying to help move the ranging cattle.

This one bull, a big black sucker, with about 6-7 cows just wasn't having me. Horn, light, revving the motor. Nothing. He was staring, lowering his head, and squaring to me.

So I started to spin the rear tire. Dust, a horn, and 7.5k rpm finally got him jumped. Tiny horns, compared to those beauties.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    Saw a guy riding one of those down the middle of the street in Bandera Texas. Tied it to a hitching post and went into a bar. None of the locals gave it a second glance.
    There is a large, family owned/run Dude ranch just outside of Bandera, now in it's 6th generation - a beautiful place. Once or twice a week, they bring in a longhorn bull for the kids to sit on & have pics taken.
    IMG_6446.jpg

We have some of these in our area and every time I see them I want an Oreo cookie:

^ We have a herd of Belted Galloways just down the road from us.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Evolution does seem to do some weird stuff sometimes.
    With longhorns I think it's selective breeding rather than evolution.
    Somewhere between Murder and Suicide, there is a place called Merseyside.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Longino View Post
    There are several Texas Longhorn breeders in Australia with registered cattle.
    We saw longhorns when we lived in Austin, of course. And that spread of horns is mighty impressive. But they always struck me as silly, too. Do you know WHY the breed was developed?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

The cattle were brought here by Spaniards. They became feral in Mexico and the Southwest US. A great book is "The Longhorns" by J. Frank Dobie.

The cattle were brought here by Spaniards. They became feral in Mexico and the Southwest US. A great book is "The Longhorns" by J. Frank Dobie.
    Did they breed 'em for horn length, and if so, why... or was that incidental?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Mostly incidental.
    The original cattle brought by the Spaniards did not resemble today's longhorns.
    Those cattle did have horns but they had been selected for other traits such as temperament, milk production, mothering instincts, meatiness, color, etc.
    When those cattle were brought here in the 1520s they immediately began wandering off to the barren prairies of the Nueces Strip from South Texas to Northern Mexico where they had no contact with humans for the next 300 years.
    Over the next 100 generations of natural selection the cattle had changed significantly but had maintained their gentle nature, small birthing size of calves, and protective instinct toward their calves.
    By the late 19th century there were hundreds of thousands of wild longhorns that belonged to no one. Entrepreneurial ranchers began rounding them up and driving them to Galveston and New Orleans and California.
    By the early 20th century longhorns were almost extinct. Fortunately, a few Texas ranchers had grown fond of the breed and began to select individual animals that showed type characteristics of the breed with the least influence of modern European breeds.
    Seven of those ranches established the herds that became the foundation of today's Texas Longhorn breed, Emil Marks, Yates, Phillips, Butler, Peeler, Wright. In 1920 the US Government established a large herd at Wichita Refuge in Oklahoma.
    So, for the past hundred years or 20 generations humans have selected for horn length and girth, along with color and other desirable characteristics. Horn length has increased significantly since I began paying attention to the breed in the fifties as a kid.

OK; so here's a probably dumb-ass question from someone who is allergic to farms and farming (I do boats, remember?): Is the increase in horn length in your observable time-frame, Glen, a desireable feature that has been encouraged via breeding, and if so, why? What is the advantage to the breed - or the breeder - of having larger horns? (I can't resist supposing that it gives the breeder the opportunity to say, "My bull is hornier that your bull...") Or is the increase in horn length just an unintended by-product over fifty years of breeding for other characteristics?
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    OK; so here's a probably dumb-ass question from someone who is allergic to farms and farming (I do boats, remember?): Is the increase in horn length in your observable time-frame, Glen, a desireable feature that has been encouraged via breeding, and if so, why? What is the advantage to the breed - or the breeder - of having larger horns? (I can't resist supposing that it gives the breeder the opportunity to say, "My bull is hornier that your bull...") Or is the increase in horn length just an unintended by-product over fifty years of breeding for other characteristics?
    Horn length and horn girth and horn shape are all selected for nowadays.
    It is strictly a matter of taste and ego. The bigger the horns, the higher the value, all other traits considered. Conscientious breeders do not select for horn length only.
    There is a horn trait called "twistiness". As the horn curves it also twists in a unique and attractive way. The trait was noticed and the mother cow, "Twisty Matilda", passed the trait along to her calves. A trained eye can spot her genes on a horn now in her tenth generation progeny.
    Same with horn girth, another trait. Some horns are skinny at their base, some fat. Same with shape. Some curve sharply, some gradually, and some grow straight outward from the head. Most breeders focus on the overall health and welfare of their animals as opposed to a single trait, much like dog breeders.
    Last edited by Glen Longino; 09-12-2017 at 05:46 PM.

Thanks for the insight.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Horn length and horn girth and horn shape are all selected for nowadays.
    It is strictly a matter of taste and ego. The bigger the horns, the higher the value, all other traits considered. Conscientious breeders do not select for horn length only.
    There is a horn trait called "twistiness". As the horn curves it also twists in a unique and attractive way. The trait was noticed and the mother cow, "Twisty Matilda", passed the trait along to her calves. A trained eye can spot her genes on a horn now in her tenth generation progeny.
    Same with horn girth, another trait. Some horns a skinny at their base, some fat. Same with shape. Some curve sharply, some gradually, and some grow straight outward from the head. Most breeders focus on the overall health and welfare of their animals as opposed to a single trait, much like dog breeders.
    I think there may be me guy ranging some type of longhorns up the hill. All our range cattle are horned, when appropriate, but there is a herd of chestnutty/rusty brown large cattle with big horns. They are VERY aggressive bulls. I'd guess the largest horns I've seen were maybe 4 feet across on a bull that looked me dead in the eye.

Does that sound like a longhorn, Glen? I don't know the rancher, and I've only seen the cattle a few times. Range cattle ain't something I typically seek out to walk around and play with.

I'll try and get some pictures of them, though.

Peace,
    Robert

You're welcome!
    Thank you for your insight on many boaty things. I do read that stuff, especially when there are pictures!

We would frequently encounter longhorns in the landing zones and stage fields around Ft Wolters, the Army helicopter training center west of Ft Worth, TX. They'd usually trot off at all the racket but every now and then one would get curious enough to hang around and pose a hazard... mostly to itself. Big animals, damn they're BIG but beautiful.
    "Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Alice

small_TX_RANGER_JP.jpg

I went looking for Twisty Matilda on google with no success. I'll look again later.
    This is her sire, Texas Ranger JP...RIP!
    JP is for Jack Phillips, one of those seven ranchers I mentioned above.
    The sire of Texas Ranger was Two Tone(now corrected). Mother was Jack's cow, Brazos Belle!
    Texas Ranger was considered by most breeders to be the best bull who ever lived at the time.
    Growing up I lived fifteen miles from Jack's ranch, Battle Island Ranch, on the gulf coast and had the chance to ride around with him in his truck a few times looking at cattle.
    RIP, Jack!
    PS....how do I make future pics larger?
    Last edited by Glen Longino; 09-13-2017 at 04:48 PM.

Thanks, Glen. I knew you were the guy to go to regarding the topic of the thread...
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Thanks, Glen. I knew you were the guy to go to regarding the topic of the thread...
    Hey, I ain't nearly as horny as I used to be, Mister G!

Hey, I ain't nearly as horny as I used to be, Mister G!
    OK... I believe you... but you're still an expert. Oh, and what were those stories Tulsy was telling about your troubles with local llama rancers??? <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

You know better than to believe what that Okie tells you...it was alpacas! Ha!

You know better than to believe what that Okie tells you...it was alpacas! Ha!
    Yeah... I know better. He prolly got all the details wrong. Maybe it was Curtis he was talking about anyhoo.

So do those LLLLLLLOOOOOOOOONNNNNNGGGGGG horns serve any real function?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Sure, much more so than our POTUS!
    They are slower to mature than the heavy breeds, not as quick at turning grass into meat.
    They are yard ornaments much like Arabian horses and llamas.
    Oh, the horns! They are deadly weapons against coyotes and wild dogs.
    Unlike the European breeds a mother longhorn will defend her calf against predators.
    A Hereford will stand there and watch her calf be attacked. Cows as well as bulls have horns.
    Last edited by Glen Longino; 09-12-2017 at 07:42 PM.

There's a property on one of the main roads near my place that used to have a herd of these on it. Scottish Highland cattle

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    That might have been Pecos Pete.
    “What, Me Worry?". -. A. E. Newman

The heritage farm Island that I volunteer on has a herd of Highland cattle. History back to the early 1870's.

Some of our OS visitors have to be discouraged from approaching calves with mothers, or even attempting to climb up on one. So far no casualties bit those horns are lethal.

Peter I believe the owner of those TLH cattle is a member of the Australian Bullock Drivers League.
    But I don't believe he drives mature animals , with the big spans.
    He did send me a CD years ago of some of his stock.
    We had one working bullock that grew a big span , it was interesting to see him go through gates etc , he knew exactly where his horn tips were.
    I dehorn my working stock , and use a German ox collar , rather than a yoke.
    Rob J.
    Edited to add , all the cattle I've seen and worked with have been very protective of their young.

I wouldn't want to be in a yard with those if they were cranky !
    Grateful Dead

They don't have to be cranky to hurt you.
    A couple of weeks ago maybe I was feeding the cattle , including the Brown Swiss working bullocks.
    The kindest , gentlest is also the biggest , very tall and heavy.
    I guess I was a bit slow opening the bale , and he gave me a swipe with his huge head to hurry me up.
    And sent me flying.
    I got bruised , maybe cracked ribs out of it , they still hurt.
    But if he was horned , I'd have been flapping about on the end of his horns like a rag doll.
    Rob J.