Thread: Home built machines ...... who builds them?

Default Home built machines ...... who builds them?

I've built a few over the years but don't have photos of all of them. This is a belt Linisher, a useful bit of gear for metal work and cleaning up castings.

Linisher 3.jpg

Linisher 1.jpgLinisher 4.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Default Re: Home built machines ...... who builds them?

Now that is a cool thread Peter.

I did really have fun with theese:
    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...-a-drum-sander
    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ill&highlight=
    but I know you visited those thread.

I dont have a budget to buy these kind of machines, and it is really fun to make something working. I am lucky to have several good electric motors, so ideas for other useful machines to build would nice to see in this thread!

btw your belt sander looks like a cool project. How long is the belt on this?

Mine is about 2600 mm from memory, I figured a longer belt would last longer.
    Grateful Dead

A wooden shipsaw, really quite useful as the tilt can be varied as it cuts so rolling bevels are easy. A battery drill turning a threaded rod does the pulling.

tilt 2.jpg

tilt 45.jpg

tilt bandsaw .jpgtiltbuild 2.jpg
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Mine is about 2600 mm from memory, I figured a longer belt would last longer.
    You did good with the long belt. On of the issues with belt linishers is cooling, the long belt means that its lost most of the friction generated heat by the time the belt has done a full circuit.
    The adhesives used to bond the abrasive grit to the backing is usually polyurethane which doesnt like being too hot, if overheated the grit peels out of the bonding material and the belt loses its cut.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Yes John, the belts last very well.
    Grateful Dead

My next machine may be an oscilating edge-sander. I think I have most of the stuff needed exept some ball bearings :-) Trouble is I get sidetracked from building my Argie15, but as a vinter project...

A sander like yours.... thanks .

then a horizontal morticer loosely based on Matthias Wandle's version
    Grateful Dead

Some - a 12" disk sander on an electric motor I picked up somewhere, various pullers and bits for doing BMW suspension bushes.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

A disc sander is useful, especially a double ended one with two different grits .
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    A wooden shipsaw, really quite useful as the tilt can be varied as it cuts so rolling bevels are easy. A battery drill turning a threaded rod does the pulling.

tilt 2.jpg

tilt 45.jpg

tilt bandsaw .jpgtiltbuild 2.jpg
    That's the one I like. I have no use for it, but I'd make one!

Peace,
    Robert

I just got an old washing machine with a metal drum and a good motor.

Firepit and a new tool! I think I'm going to make a wood lathe.

Peace,
    Robert

I built a slot mortiser for woodworking. No pics right now but I can try to add some later.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wilkinson View Post
    I built a slot mortiser for woodworking. No pics right now but I can try to add some later.
    I'd be interested in how you built the XYZ movement Tom.
    Grateful Dead

I've posted this before but it fits this thread. My home built bandsaw mill. 28'' wheels, a 3.5'' wide band, hydraulic rise and fall and feed, a Honda Civic car engine. 28'' capacity. Very accurate.

Band mill.jpg
    Grateful Dead

www.woodgears.ca is an appropriate site to post to this thread. I think it's been posted somewhere on this forum before but it's a great site and bears repeating. Look around, there's some pretty awesome stuff on that site.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Here's something I copied from Woodgear.ca, a machine base. The saw has 4 little wheels, old bearings bolted to the base, these in turn roll up inclined planes in the wooden base. A battery drill turning a threaded bar does the pulling. As the saw rides up the inclined planes it is lifted off the floor and is free to move.
    .Saw base 4.jpg

Saw base 1.jpg
    Grateful Dead

I don't think I have ever built a machine from scratch but at least two of my rebuilds contain less than 25% original materials and many more have a significant percentage of new parts.
    I just cannot bring myself to fabricate parts that can be found secondhand for the cost of the iron in them.

Unfortunately this forum doesn't allow me to post pictures and I rather spend money on more machines than on online photo hosting
    Amateur living on the western coast of Finland

Heimlaga, you can now post images easily and free. Click on the icon third from the right on the ''quick reply '' and for the instructions. Click, ''from computer''... then ''chose image''....then ''unload image''.

Those instructions aren't perfect but you'll work it out OK.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by heimlaga View Post
    I don't think I have ever built a machine from scratch but at least two of my rebuilds contain less than 25% original materials and many more have a significant percentage of new parts.
    I just cannot bring myself to fabricate parts that can be found secondhand for the cost of the iron in them.

Unfortunately this forum doesn't allow me to post pictures and I rather spend money on more machines than on online photo hosting
    Vel, navnet ditt forplikter Heimlaga!!!

I have tried posting photos like Peter suggest but get an error message about my quota. I only use Tapatalk now and post photos via my phone. This is free and works well for now.

grinder 3.jpg

That method works well enough for me, here's how I sharpen my thickness planer blades.

grinder 2.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Grateful Dead

Wow! Was just about to ask for ideas to build a jig for sharpening blades on our 50 cm thikness-planer/jointer. Do you manage to keep it steady enough?

No problem, the idea is a light cut and steady feed back and forward under the stone, I dress with an oil stone to finish and the hollow grind is an advantage there. Keep the blade cool.
    Grateful Dead

There are adjustment screws under the slide/track but they hardly ever need adjustment.

Grateful Dead

I had a small manufacturing operation for a short time and discovered how handy pneumatic actuators can be.

I tried but the third icon from the left only produces a box that says "paste text" and either OK or Cancel.

Alimak.JPG

Now I think it worked.

This waterstone grinder consists of shaft and gearbok from a 1960-ies Swedish made Alimak waterstone grinder and a 1950-ies Strömberg motor and a frame and water trough made from scrap yard materials. The stone is a flea market find which was hand cranked back in the days. The half car tyre is protecting the stone from being chipped in case I drop something.

Meir heimlaga maskinar:
    m1.JPGBeronius24.JPGBeronius19.jpg

The bandsaw was originally line shaft powered and had some not very satisfactury guards. It was made by E.V.Beronius Mekaniska Verkstad AB in Eskilstuna most likely at some point between 1910 and 1919. A very early ball bearing design.
    I rebuilt the old parts and welded up modern guards for it and made modern roller guides and fitted a secondhand Strömberg three phase motor with double v-belt drive. The electrics ares totally modern too. I also put new tyres on the wheels and made a new fence and a new mitre gauge. Most materials came from local scrap yards and dumpsters.

slip12.JPGslip13.JPG
    I bought this 1950-ies grinding jig for spindle moulder tooling and built a grinder to fit it. The grinding wheels and electrics were still missing when I took the photos. Now it is working. The motor is a secondhand three phase Strömberg from the 50-ies or 60-ies. The bearing blocks and double v-belt pulleys and the cable and the electric switch were bought new. An aquintance turned the shaft for me. The rest is home made from scrap yard materials.

Meir heimlaga maskinar:

This 24" cirkular rip saw was manufactured by Chemnitzer Werkzeugmaschinenfabrik back in 1885. I found it in a rather sorry state behind a disused cattle barn in a nearby village with a willow bush growing through it and with moss on the table.
    I modernized it and rebuilt it with new white metal bearings and a 1950-ies Strömberg 7.5 kW 3 phase motor and modern guards and a new fence. Once again almost all materials came from the local scrap yards. Now it just needs a blade and some electrics before it is ready to run.
    klyvsåg1.jpgklyvsåg37.jpgklyvsåg39.jpgklyvsåg13.JPG

I bought this spindle moulder cheap at a bankrupcy auktion. It is a late 1960-ies SCM l'Invincibile T168. An early model with oil lubricated spindle.

l'Invincible.JPGl'invincibile79.jpgl'invincibile80.JPGl'invincibile82.jpgl'invincibile81.jpg

It was an a vary bad condition. The fence was missing entirely as were most of the insert rings for the table. The dust hoods were missing All bearings sang The Lament of the Forlorn Grease Nipple in chorus.
    I took it apart entirely piece by piece and rebuilt everything. Improved the lubrication of certain joints. Made a new Euriopean style fence and a new shaw guard almost entirely from scrap yard materials. Fortunately I did a barter with a machinist and got some of the parts for the fence milled. He saved me from a lot of scraping and filing. I found some table insert rings in a scrap heap and a friend turned a ring that fits between the outermost of those and the innermost original ring.
    The fence plates and shaw guard plates are still missing at the moment but a couple of weeks ago I got some leftover 12mm plywood cheap so they will soon be made.
    Right now I am working on a badly damaged Haffner hinge and lock mortiser but once it is Finished I will rebuild an old Elu feeder and fit it to the spindle moulder.

I made a front guard and a box for the chainsaw which mount on the front weight mound and the front loader mount of my tractor. The cab is too cramped to provide room for chainsaw and hardhat and fuel can and log tongs and tool box so I had to come up with a soulution. The front lights of a Massey-Fwerguson 165 are very fragile when driving trough branches and bushes so they needed protection.

When logging season is over theese extras can be taken off and the front loader mounted in around 20 minutes by one man with no heavy lifting involved.

A friend made the bottom armour as part of a barter. It is made from 7mm extra strong plate left over when they repaired a ship in the harbour. It protects the oil sump and the steering arms from being broken by sharp stones in the woods.
    traktor2.jpg

And finally.....this is the "workshop" where all theese machines have been made. I cannot afford a fire proof workshop so I must do all cutting and welding outside.

Svetsverkstad.jpg
    The 1960-ies Unitor welder also has a story of it's own. The diodes quit working so we made adapters from somr 25x40 mm copper bar so that modern diodes with screw bases could be fitted.
    Last edited by heimlaga; 09-20-2017 at 03:09 PM.

Wow ! Nicely restored gear Heimlaga! You have been busy !
    Grateful Dead

Impressive Heimlaga, your local scrap-yard must be empty by now.

Steel is really expensive to buy, so after I started beeng more creative, I pick up and put in a shed when I find steel parts :-)