Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I get a new tv?

Default Should I get a new tv?

I find myself watching the bedroom set more and more. It's an old box type, heavy as hell.

It actually does me, but it's been suggested a new flat screen would use less power.

I come to the all knowing bilge folks and ask, how much power? Will it use enough less electricity to make it worthwhile? Some of those flat screens are pretty inexpensive.
    May be some rough water ahead. We're getting new captain.

Default Re: Should I get a new tv?

I think you should shoot it, the bedroom is a place for other things

Throw em all out. They suck the power off your meter.
    Study Peace

The energy required to dispose of the old set, coupled with the energy required to make, package and deliver the new one, will likely negate any energy savings derived from use. Buy the new set because you need the new features, need the lighter weight, or the thinner case. Heck, buy it just because you want to. But buying it to save energy probably won't save energy.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

^ If the new set was made, packaged, and shipped on a per purchase basis, then you'd be right.
    The new TV is already made however. Plugging a new one, and unplugging the old one, will most certainly save money.
    Nosce te ipsum

Quite apart from the power, pretty much everything these days is broadcast widescreen 16:9 format, and your old tv is likely 4:3?
    If it is, you're either missing a big chunk of picture off each side, or seeing a distorted widescreen picture with weird tall skinny people, crammed onto narrow screen.

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

Don't you need some sort of converter to watch those old cathode Ray monsters?

Besides, you're probably not getting the full effect of trump's red complexion and orange hair.
    “What, Me Worry?". -. A. E. Newman

I dunno, still using a rotary dial phone too?
    For the picture quality alone it'd be worth it.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Despite the fact that it's fashionable to disparage TV, I will confess that I watch a lot of it... and with some sense of selectivity, there is marvelous stuff to watch.....

....and it's so much more pleasant to watch on a modern 16:9 LCD TV, with high definition. I wouldn't obsess over 4K, though.... there's very little 4K program material available right now, and truthfully, even 720P can look spectacularly good, so a 1080 resolution is more than enough.

There are a bunch of other benefits to a 'modern' TV, as well.

Many new TV's are wi-fi enabled, and can access and display subscription services like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc., without the need for any external device.... if you have wi-fi.

Also, many new TV's have USB inputs. I have a big collection of favorite movies and TV's on a 1 Tb USB hard drive, which the TV can access... no need to burn DVD-R's, if you want to save something.
    "Fact is that which enough people believe. Truth is determined by how fervently they believe it."
    --- Charles Pierce

Many new TVs are 'smart' in that they can be watching you.

wherever you watch it, it's an escape, and there are so many more pleasant ways to escape I recommend trying them all before you spend any effort or money on looking at TV.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

do you WANT a new tv? if you want one, get one. unless your kids are going to go hungry bc of your purchase.

Yes, get a new one they are cheap enough these days and they are light enough to easily move for cleaning around. Then get an Apple TV or a Roku so you can interface your tablet with to make watching YouTube and other internet videos more enjoyable.

-- that said.....we took the TV out of the bedroom a couple of years ago. Now, I read more.
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Many new TVs are 'smart' in that they can be watching you.
    We have one in the living room that's carrying on with the microwave.
    "Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Alice

Ooooh freaking sweet Jeeezuz on the cross. I'm so sick of the frigen Portlandia. granola hippy heads anti-TV trolls. We live in the GOLDEN AGE of TV Programing. There are shows on TV that crush anything in the movie theaters currently. Today's programing harkens back to the writing and production level of the golden age of film. Why would you remove such a brilliant art form. Oh lets burn the books, tear the Mona Lisa off the wall, shut down Broadway. It's a freaking art form, storytelling, an age old human involvement from the cave painting at Lascaux to The Handmaid's Tale on HULU.

As for a new TV get as big and as thin as your budget can afford. I see those curved 4k's at Costco and just drool.

My only contradiction is we never put a TV in our bedroom. The bedroom is only used for sleeping and ..............
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Quote Originally Posted by elf View Post
    wherever you watch it, it's an escape, and there are so many more pleasant ways to escape I recommend trying them all before you spend any effort or money on looking at TV.
    As I age, a lot of things I would prefer doing I cannot do. My question, basically, is will I save a bit on my electric bill?

I was 'window shopping' the other day and found these things are not very expensive. I have no need. Just wondering. If it uses less power, and saves $5 a month on electric, it would eventually pay for itself. On the other hand, my aging iPod is acting up. That would be more of a necessity.
    May be some rough water ahead. We're getting new captain.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    Ooooh freaking sweet Jeeezuz on the cross. I'm so sick of the frigen Portlandia. granola hippy heads anti-TV trolls. We live in the GOLDEN AGE of TV Programing. There are shows on TV that crush anything in the movie theaters currently. Today's programing harkens back to the writing and production level of the golden age of film.
    I am in complete agreement... there are some incredibly good shows on the tube these days... really well acted, brilliant scripts, production values that rival movies (except for special effects... but then again, I don't much care for stuff that requires CGI, anyhow).

In particular, I'm addicted to British shows. The one I've watched most recently is 'Endeavour', four seasons, with four 90 minute episodes each. It's a 'prequel' of sorts to the Inspector Morse series popular on PBS, showing Morse as a very young man just starting in law enforcement. Fabulous acting!

While the Brits do a lot of 'police procedural' shows, there is also some great TV from Australia.... try 'Rake', with Richard Roxburgh... a comedic drama, with Roxburgh playing a dissipated Australian barrister... outrageously funny, in many spots.

For light and lighthearted viewing, try 'Doc Martin', starring Martin Clunes as an uptight British surgeon who develops a phobia about blood, and becomes a GP in a coastal British town. Caroline Katz is brilliant as his love interest.

Some of the best Brit series: 'Luther', starring Idris Elba as a detective, with a phenomenal performance by Ruth Wilson as a psycopathic biologist who helps him.... 'Happy Valley', another Brit police procedural... 'Shetland', filmed in the Shetland Islands... and so many others.

American series on cable channels shouldn't be overlooked... 'Ray Donovan', starring Liev Schreiber, is terrific (in its fourth season right now)... 'Ballers', starring Dwayne Johnson, on HBO (believe it or not, he's a pretty good actor).... 'House of Cards', starring Kevin Spacey...
    "Fact is that which enough people believe. Truth is determined by how fervently they believe it."
    --- Charles Pierce

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    I find myself watching the bedroom set more and more. It's an old box type, heavy as hell.

It actually does me, but it's been suggested a new flat screen would use less power.

I come to the all knowing bilge folks and ask, how much power? Will it use enough less electricity to make it worthwhile? Some of those flat screens are pretty inexpensive.
    Why get a TV at all, if you're doing more active things you'll likely live longer, enjoy it more and not have to pay so much to heat the house.
    That plus you'll probably spend less money as the advertising wont be getting to you.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

As I age, a lot of things I would prefer doing I cannot do. My question, basically, is will I save a bit on my electric bill?

I was 'window shopping' the other day and found these things are not very expensive. I have no need. Just wondering. If it uses less power, and saves $5 a month on electric, it would eventually pay for itself. On the other hand, my aging iPod is acting up. That would be more of a necessity.
    I haven't done the math but assuming every incandescent bulb has been replaced with LED or CFL, your fridge is modern, your stove and hot water are gas it'll probably take five years to make up the cost in a lower electricity bill. I suggest doing the math.

Yeah, about 5-7 years at 6 hrs a day if yr electricity is $.17/ kWh
    http://energyusecalculator.com/elect...leddisplay.htm
    Last edited by LeeG; 09-11-2017 at 03:28 PM.

It's always a personal preference.

I had old CRT televisions which I got rid of one by one. The last hold out between me and SWMBO was donated several months ago. Neither one of us has subscribed to cable in decades. Digital broadcast TV was a flop for me. Though providing a few more channels the weak signal tended to interrupt often, breaking the conversation between the characters. And the commercials tended to be long.

With that said I use an iPad or laptop to stream shows from Youtube, Amazon Prime, Netflix or PBS. These channels and streaming has opened up a whole new universe of "television" watching for me. The laptop and iPad use a fraction of the electricity that the old CRT sets did. Also I can easily set the iPad wherever I want to be to watch stuff. I probably won't go back to the mode of sitting in a couch to watch TV like I did in the past.

So that's one alternative for the OP to think about.
    Will

Should I get a new tv?
    Yes, minimum 60", 4K UHD. And don't forget a surround sound speaker amplifier set.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

With that said I use an iPad or laptop to stream shows from Youtube, Amazon Prime, Netflix or PBS.
    A Smart TV (when not flirting with the microwave) can communicate with your tablet and display those in HD and stereo on the BIG TV or connect through your internet connection to stream directly without the tablet.

I saw some 55 inch monster in Costco for $400 this weekend.
    "Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Alice

Quote Originally Posted by John of Phoenix View Post
    A Smart TV (when not flirting with the microwave) can communicate with your tablet and display those in HD and stereo on the BIG TV or connect through your internet connection to stream directly without the tablet.
    Yup.. and while an iPad is convenient, I think the presentation, on a big screen, is MUCH more enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by John of Phoenix View Post
    I saw some 55 inch monster in Costco for $400 this weekend.
    Yeah, prices have really collapsed... and the TV's are getting even thinner, and lighter. I still don't think 4K is worth it, though... 1080 looks spectacular, to my eyes... and I fail to see the virtue in a curved screen.

One feature that I think is really a bust is 3D. My TV in my den has it... we tried it briefly, when we first bought it... and didn't think it was even worth the effort to drag out the special glasses.
    --- Charles Pierce

What happened to 3D tellies?

Five years ago they were the Next Big Thing........
    Someday, I'm going to settle down and be a grumpy old man.

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post
    What happened to 3D tellies?

Five years ago they were the Next Big Thing........
    kat and i have an awesome plasma 3d screen, you might recall that it exploded a few years ago while we watching it. . .

we've never once watched a 3d movie on it, i couldn't even tell you where the glasses are. . .

I'm waiting for smellevision.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    ... 'Ballers', starring Dwayne Johnson, on HBO (believe it or not, he's a pretty good actor)....
    I'm a big fan of that show and to give you an idea of how good an actor Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson is: I'm not a football fan and I love the show

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    Yup.. and while an iPad is convenient, I think the presentation, on a big screen, is MUCH more enjoyable.

Yeah, prices have really collapsed... and the TV's are getting even thinner, and lighter. I still don't think 4K is worth it, though... 1080 looks spectacular, to my eyes... and I fail to see the virtue in a curved screen.

One feature that I think is really a bust is 3D. My TV in my den has it... we tried it briefly, when we first bought it... and didn't think it was even worth the effort to drag out the special glasses.
    The iPad runs $600 to $800 last time I checked but there are way cheaper options like the Kindle Fire but I don't have one so can't speak to how well it works.
    Will

I'm a big fan of that show and to give you an idea of how good an actor Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson is: I'm not a football fan and I love the show
    football? i thought it was a miami based car culture show?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    football? i thought it was a miami based car culture show?
    With T&A

With T&A
    LOTS of T&A... although it depends on the specific episode
    --- Charles Pierce

Just google cast season 3 to binge

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    I'm waiting for smellevision.

Kevin
    You watch with me... you get that for free...

Basic cable TV came with our new faster internet service. There are a number of shows people talk about that I think I'd enjoy. I just don't seem to have (or make?) the time. Heck... I don't get out on the water enough as it is. And we have enough home projects planned to keep me busy full time for decades. I haven't watched for months, but there ARE times when you just want something easy and un-challenging. I've watched some cop shows, and MASH reruns.

Hey Joe - 'Portlandia' IS tv. Ironical, eh? <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

New LED flatscreens consume less power in operation and dramatically less power in standby mode compared to CRTs. The little sticker on them (in the US) shows how negligible power consumption is.