Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 34

Thread: Small sailboat that can be comfortably sailed

Default Re: Small sailboat that can be comfortably sailed

That seems like a very heavy hull....

Albacore, Wayfarer.....
    Someday, I'm going to settle down and be a grumpy old man.

Quote Originally Posted by tink View Post
    You don't have to go three hulls to stay in one position
    2.4m

Or Minuet

I would love to work this concept up into something a little less race oriented and more traditional/classic boat style. One day

https://tinkboats.wordpress.com
    http://proasail.blogspot.co.uk
    What I get up to
    https://youtu.be/X9NZEyvpb_Y Streaker dinghy
    https://youtu.be/oni-3rJzxqQ Sail Canoe
    https://youtu.be/eW078PPgJak Proa
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    How about the Bolger Queen Mab design?

I never sailed one, but my 1954 copy of "How to Build 20 Boats" has an article on finishing a Thistle from a molded hull by Yngve Edward Soderberg, who says, "She's a hot racing boat, but also an excellent family day sailer...a safe boat for beginners." There is a photo of a man and a woman sailing in a very relaxed manner. Compared with modern Thistles, the original boats had no hiking straps and only 175 sq. ft. S.A., compared with the present 191 sq. ft., the difference being in a high roach. Moreover, early Thistles had cotton sails--flatter, with less driving power but also less heeling moment. (That's why the roller reefing could work better.)
    Peter Belenky

I know where there is a wooden Thistle that can probably be had for a song. It looks sound, and sits on a trailer in a driveway...

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    I know where there is a wooden Thistle that can probably be had for a song. It looks sound, and sits on a trailer in a driveway...

Peace,
    Robert
    how far fro Hell?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

A Pete Culler Pretty Good Skiff for sale with trailer:

WillowPort.jpg
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    how far fro Hell?
    Well, calling my town Hell will get the same strange looks at the post office your town will.
    Really, though, I passed it today...

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    A Pete Culler Pretty Good Skiff for sale with trailer:

WillowPort.jpg
    Oh, that's my speed, right there. I have always led those skiffs.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Palmer View Post
    How about the Bolger Queen Mab design?

From the OP: "mostly sailed solo, or with one other person aboard." Where do you put the other person?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    Actually the Minuet could be the ultimate in some ways, since launching and rigging are so easy.

On JohnW's question about how to make a small boat easy to sail, I'd say efficient foils, lots of mast bend, good blocks, and good lines. In conditions when many traditional rig sailors would have had to flap around reefing, even a Laser can be sailed without hiking and with the mainsheet cleated if you have enough vang and downhaul on and are sailing the groove accurately. It's similar to the way fractional rig short-overlap yachts go fast from 1 to 25+ knots of true wind speed without changing sails or reefing, but by using mast bend, cunningham and sail twist. My carbon laminate jibs cover that range with no visible stretch and can be depowered by just easing the inhaul, when my dacron "cruising" sails are bagging out and requiring reefing and messing about with jib lead positions.

I wonder if the can of worms you have opened up will be ran with. Bend, stretch and stress, geometry manipulation vs reefing, area manipulation. All good stuff

https://tinkboats.wordpress.com
    http://proasail.blogspot.co.uk
    What I get up to
    https://youtu.be/X9NZEyvpb_Y Streaker dinghy
    https://youtu.be/oni-3rJzxqQ Sail Canoe
    https://youtu.be/eW078PPgJak Proa
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    From the OP: "mostly sailed solo, or with one other person aboard." Where do you put the other person?
    Build two.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    Actually the Minuet could be the ultimate in some ways, since launching and rigging are so easy.

On JohnW's question about how to make a small boat easy to sail, I'd say efficient foils, lots of mast bend, good blocks, and good lines. In conditions when many traditional rig sailors would have had to flap around reefing, even a Laser can be sailed without hiking and with the mainsheet cleated if you have enough vang and downhaul on and are sailing the groove accurately. It's similar to the way fractional rig short-overlap yachts go fast from 1 to 25+ knots of true wind speed without changing sails or reefing, but by using mast bend, cunningham and sail twist. My carbon laminate jibs cover that range with no visible stretch and can be depowered by just easing the inhaul, when my dacron "cruising" sails are bagging out and requiring reefing and messing about with jib lead positions.
    Very good points. Sailing an 1870s-style sharpie, I found the bendy masts spilled a lot of wind in gusts, and made it possible to carry the full rig in fairly strong winds. Add in all the ways we've found to depower racing dinghies, you've got some options. Yet I see daysailers set up so they can't even adjust the traveler.

O'boat on Cl 6500 or Bo.

It's a tough order, Paul.

On one hand, I'd say that if it's going to "live on a dock" then scrap the shoal draft idea, get a slip in "The Lagoon" at Markley Marina and and pick up nice used 19-22 footer of your choosing. Enjoy Lake St. Claire!

The down side is that it would still be a solid 90 minutes away, provided that the traffic on 275 and 696 is agreeable on that day.

For small lakes around you, I would tend towards something at 16 feet or under from Vivier, Gartside, Welsford, et al. and be content knowing that you have the prettiest boat in the county.

Also, every spring, there's a 5.6meter Boston Whaler Harpoon in Chelsea that finds it way onto Craigslist. I keep thinking that I'll check it out with a lowball wad of cash in my pocket.

...maybe next spring.
    \"A little too tall, coulda used a few pounds...\"

Didn't a couple of guys finish the R2AK in a Harpoon? Not wood, but solid, for sure.

Matt Layden's 'Paradox' design is a good contender for easy to sail. All sail control including reefing can be managed from within the cabin. She is ballasted so doesn't need the sailor to balance with body weight. She day sails well with two. I have slept two on mine but I wouldn't recommend it. Very easy to trailer with her flat bottom and is easily towed with a small car. Protects crew from the elements... but at the same time can be sailed while sitting with head out the hatch. Makes reasonable progress to windward considering her low aspect lug rig... and she readily accelerates to hull speed on a reach or downwind. In my opinion, a really good fund boat to sail. There are loads of pics and info available about this design if you care to google... and I plan to add a bit more about my particular boat on my web page 'geoffboat.weebly.com'.

Look up the freedom 20. Its out of production but maybe you can find one. It's a design with some features for sailors who have some mobility issues.
    Last edited by CK 17; 09-26-2017 at 11:48 PM.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Paul, what height of seating do you need in order to be comfortable for a couple of hours? Many of the boats shown in this thread so far have seats that are only about 11" above the sole or bottom. Which is more comfortable when coming about: a thwart that you sit astraddle or facing forward or aft and scoot across, or a side bench that you get up and move across to the other side? What about spars? Do you prefer several small spars (as in a traditional cat ketch with lug or sprit sails), or one larger single sail? Is just sitting on the bottom on some cushions better for you?

I'm lucky (so far!) in that I only have to avoid LOTS of kneeling and have to baby my back. I need either to sit up high or stretch out down low. Everybody is different.

Quote Originally Posted by Small boats rock View Post
    Matt Layden's 'Paradox' design is a good contender for easy to sail. All sail control including reefing can be managed from within the cabin. She is ballasted so doesn't need the sailor to balance with body weight. She day sails well with two. I have slept two on mine but I wouldn't recommend it. Very easy to trailer with her flat bottom and is easily towed with a small car. Protects crew from the elements... but at the same time can be sailed while sitting with head out the hatch. Makes reasonable progress to windward considering her low aspect lug rig... and she readily accelerates to hull speed on a reach or downwind. In my opinion, a really good fund boat to sail. There are loads of pics and info available about this design if you care to google... and I plan to add a bit more about my particular boat on my web page 'geoffboat.weebly.com'.
    --- I enjoyed seeing this boat perform during a couple of Texas 200s; and its functionality as an accommodation is beyond reproach for camp-cruising (Layden lived almost years on it, I believe, and there is a cruising couple who sailed it extensively in the Caribbean), despite that I am ambivalent toward its lack of an outside (deck) sitting area to get out of the cabin completely sometimes. However, the Tx200s are mostly downwind. How high exactly will this boat go on its boardless/chine-runner design? (CMG, not just pointing). The rudder does not seem to be loaded so much as to perform some windward duties.

I have very much missed hearing about some new Matt Layden design being exposed during some Watertribe event. The last one I heard about was his 9-foot Elusion sailboat, used for the 1200 mile Around Florida Challenge (Watertribe) which included a 40 mile portage with wheels attached to the hull. This was an elegant little sleep-aboard boat. Mr. Layden, please come back! --Wade

Dipping into the Bob Baker biography today (https://www.woodenboatstore.com/prod...of-small-craft) and reread the entry on the Woods Hole spritsail boats. Might be a fine choice.

Nice article on the one in livery service at CWB: https://smallboatsmonthly.com/articl...pritsail-boat/

Plans from Mystic:

https://store.mysticseaport.org/ship...-by-swift.html
    https://store.mysticseaport.org/ship...sail-boat.html
    https://store.mysticseaport.org/ship...sail-boat.html

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W. View Post
    Paul, what height of seating do you need in order to be comfortable for a couple of hours? Many of the boats shown in this thread so far have seats that are only about 11" above the sole or bottom. Which is more comfortable when coming about: a thwart that you sit astraddle or facing forward or aft and scoot across, or a side bench that you get up and move across to the other side? What about spars? Do you prefer several small spars (as in a traditional cat ketch with lug or sprit sails), or one larger single sail? Is just sitting on the bottom on some cushions better for you?

I'm lucky (so far!) in that I only have to avoid LOTS of kneeling and have to baby my back. I need either to sit up high or stretch out down low. Everybody is different.
    Eleven inches is a bit low. The boat need not have seats, a side deck would suit me. . .
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

If thwarts would work, then check out Devlin's Sea Swift. The thwarts are all about 15" higher than the bottom of the boat. There are no side seats in this (it's a modified Grand Banks Dory with the kind of boomless spritsail cat-ketch rig that Pete Culler favored), but they could be added back aft, I think.

Aaaaand...for something completely different: Storer's take on the PD Goose. The Goose is a 12-foot lengthening of the Puddle-Duck Racer. Storer now lives in the Philippines, where they seem to having way too much fun building these things and introducing a lot of people there to sailing. While there are other Gooses (?) out there, this version has side buoyancy boxes that you sit on. Most of the length where you would sit while sailing is about 14-16" high. The boat is easy to build, cheap and decent sails are available from the Philippines.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    The boat need not have seats, a side deck would suit me. . .
    But remember, it may not be possible to sit on a side deck unless there is a good amount of wind. You can't always have your weight that far outboard. I find that's the case way more than half the time in my boats.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com