Thread: Toy Pirate Ship Sails From Scotland to Denmark, Norway and Sweden

Default Toy Pirate Ship Sails From Scotland to Denmark, Norway and Sweden

A toy pirate ship launched by two young brothers in Aberdeenshire has sailed the high seas to Scandinavia.

Ollie Ferguson, eight, and Harry, five, from Turriff, first launched their Playmobil ship from Peterhead at the end of May.

It sailed hundreds of miles to Denmark, where a family sent it on its way. It then made it to Sweden and Norway.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...tland-41159979
    Somewhere between Murder and Suicide, there is a place called Merseyside.

Default Re: Toy Pirate Ship Sails From Scotland to Denmark, Norway and Sweden

Are they raping and pillaging as payback?

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Scheuer View Post
    Are they raping and pillaging as payback?
    I think the Lego shield-maidens have launched a counter-attack..

Reminds me of this.

Nosce te ipsum

Awesome, when I was a boy we use to launch kite propelled 2 x 4s of the beach in north Carolina. We would watch then until they disappeared, always wondered how far they went.
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

They are young pirates. The teacher made them write on the blackboard:

"Pillage. Plunder. THEN burn.
    "Pillage. Plunder. THEN burn. . . "

But seriously, totally finastkind.

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Excellent.

And indeed reminiscent of one of one of my favorite books as a kid.

I lost a 6ft RC model topsail schooner when she sailed out of range. Sailing at speed when last seen. Always wondered she ended up.

I had a 30'' long ballasted sailing yacht at 10, it sailed beautifully and once or twice my mother, a good swimmer, had to sprint to catch it. Off an Auckland beach headed West, I wonder how far it would have got ?
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Is anybody familiar with the 'Microtransat Challenge'? It's about attempting a transatlantic crossing with a toy (or model) boat.

From 2012
    ..a toy boat called Snoopy Sloop will follow in the wake of Transatlantic pioneers like Christopher Columbus when it attempts to become the first craft to make an unmanned crossing of the ocean.

Its creator Robin Lovelock, a retired Nato scientist, has spent four years developing a craft he believes can survive the 6,000 mile journey.

This attempt failed, and his next attempt in 2013 also failed. Here's a full history of the event..

http://www.microtransat.org/history.php

A toy pirate ship launched off the Scottish coast by two brothers has set sail again off Africa as its voyage continues.
    Ollie and Harry Ferguson sent their Playmobil vessel "Adventure" off for real life exploits earlier this year. Specially adapted by their father MacNeill Ferguson, it survived the waves to reach Denmark then Sweden, where the finder repaired its sails.
    After reaching Norway it was picked up by the crew of tall ship the Christian Radich, which has now transported the miniature craft to Africa, dropping it into the water 100miles off the coast of Mauritania.

http://www.thenational.scot/news/156..._the_Atlantic/

Toooooo cooool
    I too had a free sailing model ~ 2 ft long. we would follow in a rowing boat, for hours sometimes. Still have it, and another which sailed many miles when my kids were small. We did build a trimaran on the beach and set it off, with a note, hoping to hear back but it was never heard from again.

I collect free sailers gilberj. Thirteen at present. Started with one my grandma had made and I sailed on a local lake in a club. Still have that.
    I prefer to leave them largely in the condition I found them apart from some conservation work and a 'ghost rig' made of flax string.
    Researching them is much easier now than it used to be.

Way cool. Thank you for posting it.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by gilberj View Post
    We did build a trimaran on the beach and set it off, with a note, hoping to hear back but it was never heard from again.
    I did hear that an unmanned Hobie cat was launched to cross the Atlantic.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

"Paddle to the Sea" was one of my favorites when I was young. I think someone gave it to me as a present. Somehow it has disappeared.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    I did hear that an unmanned Hobie cat was launched to cross the Atlantic.
    Our trimaran centre hull was a Cedar stick about 3 ft long and two ama's about 2 ft with a total beam of perhaps 2.5 ft. The sail was part of a plastic bag set as a lateen sail. it was directionally pretty stable till we lost sight of it.....

As a boy in NZ I had a ballasted sailing yacht, no radio control or anything but very stable, about 18'' long . I think it quite possible that if it had got away .....as it tried to do, that it could have reached Australia, given reasonable conditions.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    They are young pirates. The teacher made them write on the blackboard:

"Pillage. Plunder. THEN burn. . . "

But seriously, totally finastkind.
    Chuckling over here, Boss.