Page 149 of 160 FirstFirst ... 4999139148149150159 ... LastLast
Results 5,181 to 5,215 of 5582

Thread: Scientific knowledge

Default Re: Scientific knowledge

It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Thanks to sharpiefan
    Abstract

Previous research suggests that people first arrived on Madagascar by ~2500 years before present (years B.P.). This hypothesis is consistent with butchery marks on extinct lemur bones from ~2400 years B.P. and perhaps with archaeological evidence of human presence from ~4000 years B.P. We report >10,500-year-old human-modified bones for the extinct elephant birds Aepyornis and Mullerornis, which show perimortem chop marks, cut marks, and depression fractures consistent with immobilization and dismemberment. Our evidence for anthropogenic perimortem modification of directly dated bones represents the earliest indication of humans in Madagascar, predating all other archaeological and genetic evidence by >6000 years and changing our understanding of the history of human colonization of Madagascar. This revision of Madagascarís prehistory suggests prolonged human-faunal coexistence with limited biodiversity loss.
    <snip>
    Two skeletal elements from a single Aepyornis maximus individual (collected by E. Simons as an articulated pair) from the bone bed show perimortem anthropogenic modification (Fig. 2 and Table 1). Bone collagen samples from USNM A605209 were directly dated at two separate AMS radiocarbon facilities, with a combined calibrated date range of 10,721 to 10,511 years B.P. (Table 2).

http://advances.sciencemag.org/content/4/9/eaat6925

But before we lose track of where we got to with an Impactor as a possible cause to supply the energy for the Biblical Diluvium.

Andy kindly worked out for us the amount of energy required for one theoretical model of the flood.

and also supplied a link to an Impactor calculation site. (for which i am eternally grateful)

i found an impactor scenario which, whilst delivering the required energy, did not necessarily destroy the Ark if it was far enough away.

i also surmised that a single, dense, low speed impactor into the ocean - had the best chance of causing the sort of disruption that would lead to the oceans sweeping over the land.

on the surface, impact cracks in the crust would occur. and as the heavy iron impactor sank through the Mantle to the Core i surmise currents would be set up which would have much stronger influence on portions of the crust in some places than in others. Thus the extraordinary trajectory of (what became) India, across (what became) the Indian Ocean.

Now i note that the recent Japanese tsunami resulted from a Strike Slip (?) of 24m. (?) - but there are, in the geological record, slips 10x or 100x (?) times the size of that one.

Could we expect Tsunamis , not 10m. high , but maybe 100m. or more in height?

any other boggled minds out there?

peace,

frank

Frank!s memory has failed again. We showed that tsunami do not erode mountains. nor move much sediment around the last time we debunked his tsunami idea.
    Worse than musac on a looped tape.

Anyone know what grass has to do with anything?
    Well, creation.crap has it wrong again. The oldest identified grasses are 100,000,000 years old, so they span the age of the dinosaurs at 65 mill or so...
    "Wherever there is a channel for water, there is a road for the canoe. " - Thoreau

From waaaay back at page 57
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    There are loads of aerial photos of the aftermath of the Japanese tsunami, none of which show significant deposition of sand or mud.
    Tsunamis can do so, in small amounts. This thin sandy layer was deposited on Shetland islands.

Your problem is that a tsunami can only move sediment when there is sediment to move, e.g. from the beaches that it runs up. So you need to show where the massive quantities of sand that you talk of comes from or accept that it did not happen, and in the case of the Australian artesian basin, how a turbulent event manages to lay down ordered alternating layers of sand and mud.

Quote Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
    Well, creation.crap has it wrong again. The oldest identified grasses are 100,000,000 years old, so they span the age of the dinosaurs at 65 mill or so...
    Yo, Fitz,

btw you did check the dates of the relevant sources? - could have been an honest mistake? (and note, the evidence is tilting towards their position anyway - one would expect dinos and grass and even rabbits to be found together - and this seems to be happening - the fossil ranges, not to mention 'ghost linkages' are all being pushed back, extended, towards the Cambrian.)

and, as a matter of interest, how did you go with the rest of the article - did you find any more mistakes?

the main reason i tend to use creation.com is that they do seem to maintain high standards and avoid a lot of blather etc. - generally pretty straight and punchy.

not that one has to agree with their position - but at least it is set out in a generally accessible manner - makes it easy to cross-check against their opponents.

Regards,

Frank

It is hard to take them seriously when you can't get through the first sentence or so without running into major BS.
    "Wherever there is a channel for water, there is a road for the canoe. " - Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Frank! View Post
    - but at least it is set out in a generally accessible manner - makes it easy to cross-check against their opponents.

Regards,

Frank
    Well, why in the blue blazes don't you?

I wasn’t joking. Right in the Bible, it says beings came down from the sky and made children with the daughters of men.

Why aren’t we investigating giants, nephilim, and demi god/angel/aliens with the same ardor as the flood?

Peace,
    Concerned ScienceTist

Andy kindly worked out for us the amount of energy required for one theoretical model of the flood.
    It wasn't done kindly, Frank. It was done solely to emphasise the sheer absurdity of what you're suggesting. A megaton per acre, remember?

And now you want some kind of sped-up-tectonic/slow-impact nonsense? Do you realise quite how insane that sounds?

Andy
    "We were schooner-rigged and rakish, with a long and lissome hull ..."

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    I wasn’t joking. Right in the Bible, it says beings came down from the sky and made children with the daughters of men.

Why aren’t we investigating giants, nephilim, and demi god/angel/aliens with the same ardor as the flood?

Peace,
    Concerned ScienceTist
    Because there is no evidence about them in the geological record for YECrs and Creation.crap to relate terminological inexactitudes about?

Peace,
    Concerned ScienceTist
    Those will be the nephilim who also turn up after the flood ... was Noah selling tickets for his boat trip?

Enquiring minds, and all that.

Andy

I wasn’t joking. Right in the Bible, it says beings came down from the sky and made children with the daughters of men. Why aren’t we investigating giants, nephilim, and demi god/angel/aliens with the same ardor as the flood?
    Good point. Frank does indeed believe in them, I think; he mentioned them at one point as a justification for killing off almost all of humanity; the half-breeds were apparently bad. Hey Frank, any fossil nephilim? Or human nephel . . (What's the singular of 'nephilim'? Nephelos? Nephelo? ) hybrids?
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Good point. Frank does indeed believe in them, I think; he mentioned them at one point as a justification for killing off almost all of humanity; the half-breeds were apparently bad. Hey Frank, any fossil nephilim? Or human nephel . . (What's the singular of 'nephilim'? Nephelos? Nephelo? ) hybrids?
    Frank really should go talk to a minister. He did visit a cathedral, maybe the Dean of Chapter could recommend someone with a day or two to spare.

If you think about it, a panel of folks, attempting to create others like themselves, playing around with local populations would explain the horse, bull, bird, etc. and human hybrids the old folks talked about.

Kinda also explain a lot of the fighting over gods everyone talks about. The whole MY god is the right god deal.

Kinda also explain the leap in brain size and technological prowess, too.

Just saying, Adamu does mean worker/slave...

Peace,
    Stirrer Of Pots, And Reader Of Books (And Tea Leaves)

Just sayin'; people everywhere at all times love to tell fantastic stories, and to repeat the stories they've heard.

Frank really should go talk to a minister.
    Oh I'm sure he has, the fundamentalist biblical literalist kind. Mainline protestants, much less the more leaned variety of Anglicans, are entirely outside his religion.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,

Richard Feynman

Just sayin'; people everywhere at all times love to tell fantastic stories, and to repeat the stories they've heard.

Oh I'm sure he has, the fundamentalist biblical literalist kind. Mainline protestants, much less the more leaned variety of Anglicans, are entirely outside his religion.
    Mebby I should have specified priest. Do whacko protestants have cathedrals and Deans?

Yes. The humor quite falls flat when you come right out and say it, I think.

Peace,
    Robert

Yes. The humor quite falls flat when you come right out and say it, I think.
    True enough. But often it whizzes right by overhead if you don't. Damned if you do . . . .

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
    It wasn't done kindly, Frank. It was done solely to emphasise the sheer absurdity of what you're suggesting. A megaton per acre, remember?

And now you want some kind of sped-up-tectonic/slow-impact nonsense? Do you realise quite how insane that sounds?

Andy
    Dear Andy,

you did not give your "online impact calculator" but according to the one i used (and cited - it was the first gargle coughed up) and using the parameters i gave i got your "megaton per acre" but with 145mph breeze, rather than the 500mph you cited.

i went looking in my program for Tsunami effects and they said they found the effects too uncertain to be unusable - so declined to include them until the science was more defined. They indicated that there was a huge difference in possible results, from negligible to perhaps what you posit "50 to 80m." (btw the Ark has been calcd. as good for 30m waves)

i refer you to my post #5180 in case you missed it.

it only takes one possible scenario to invalidate all the 3999 (ref to Edison's lightbulb experiments) fails.

and in answer to your second ques, briefly - Yes.

kindly,

Frank

Dear Andy,

you did not give your "online impact calculator" but according to the one i used (and cited - it was the first gargle coughed up) and using the parameters i gave i got your "megaton per acre" but with 145mph breeze, rather than the 500mph you cited.

i went looking in my program for Tsunami effects and they said they found the effects too uncertain to be unusable - so declined to include them until the science was more defined. They indicated that there was a huge difference in possible results, from negligible to perhaps what you posit "50 to 80m." (btw the Ark has been calcd. as good for 30m waves)

i refer you to my post #5180 in case you missed it.

it only takes one possible scenario to invalidate all the 3999 (ref to Edison's lightbulb experiments) fails.

and in answer to your second ques, briefly - Yes.

kindly,

Frank
    Bit short on covering the highest mountains. Is this the same impact that created the GAB?
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

And ever since the family got the Readers Digest Atlas i have marvelled at the "bend" in the mountain ranges either side of the Davis Strait - and the arc of islands beyond.

So i suggest (probly not the first! ) - the impactor came in from south of west at low angle and its momentum set up a surge in the mantel (sp?) that tore India off the super continent and sent splits up the midatlantic and elsewhere.

SHMG,

FRANK

!
    Last edited by Frank!; 09-13-2018 at 05:31 PM.

Right.

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Bit short on covering the highest mountains. Is this the same impact that created the GAB?
    Gary,
    In ans. to 2nd part - yes.

Re. 1st - how do you reckon that?

Frank

And ever since the family got the Readers Digest Atlas i have marvelled at the "bend" in the mountain ranges either side of the Davis Strait - and the arc of islands beyond.

So i suggest (probly not the first! ) - the impactor came in from south of west at low angle and its momentum set up a surge in the mantel (sp?) that tore India off the super continent and sent splits up the midatlantic and elsewhere.

SHMG,

FRANK

!
    Been there, done that, post #2240 on P 56
    How you getting on with the physics?

Can I help?

You suggest that asteroid strikes might trigger a global catastrophic flood by triggering tsunami.
    Tsunamis are ocean wave fronts. Ocean waves do not transport water from A to B, they transmit energy as a pressure pulse. As the pressure pulse passes the water moves in a circular orbit but stays mostly in the same place.

Now the only thing that can cause the water to actually move is wind friction on the surface, but it is not that powerful effect wrt water mass movement. https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...wX7JCLwoMn8TxJ

The only thing that could cause all of the earth's oceans to flow over all of the land in a cataclysmic flood event would be if the earth rapidly slowed its spin.
    The earth's surface and the seas on it are moving at 1,674.4 km/h. So if the earth were to suddenly slow down momentum would keep the water moving, causing it to flow over the continents (Newton's First law). Now there is no mechanism that would cause the earth to suddenly slow down, destroying all of the kinetic energy bound up in the earth's angular momentum.

Gary,
    In ans. to 2nd part - yes.

Re. 1st - how do you reckon that?

Frank
    Re 1 tallest mountain 5 miles, you were talking about a hundred or so metres.
    Re 2nd not physically possible. Remember those laws of physicis you keep ignoring?
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

SHMG,

FRANK

!
    So you don't believe in tectonic plate movement? Which by the way was proved back in the 50s and 60s. I'm surprised you aren't telling us the Earth is the center of the solar system.

So you don't believe in tectonic plate movement?
    Of course he doesn't. The earth is only 6000 years old, remember? The continents would have to be hopping around like rabbits to move so far in that short a time.

Richard Feynman

Of course he doesn't. The earth is only 6000 years old, remember? The continents would have to be hopping around like rabbits to move so far in that short a time.
    Cambrian rabbits, enquiringly minds need to know?

Re 1 tallest mountain 5 miles, you were talking about a hundred or so metres.
    Re 2nd not physically possible. Remember those laws of physicis you keep ignoring?
    Gary - are you even on song???

go back and have another look at what i have said about #1

re #2 i still have no idea what i have posted that you are referring to, what in it exactly that is is not physically possible, nor even what laws are being broken.

Cambrian rabbits, enquiringly minds need to know?
    this is an excerpt from an article that i posted earlier

“There is not a single example of a fossil in the wrong place.” Really?77,78

"Evidence of flowering plants in the form of pollen fossils79 have been found in Precambrian strata.
    According to evolutionists, flowering plants first evolved 160 million years ago; but, they say, the Precambrian rocks are more than 550 million years old.

"A dog-like mammal fossil80 was found with remains of dinosaurs in its stomach—but, we’re told, no mammals large enough to prey on dinosaurs existed at that time.

"Grass has been found in fossilized dinosaur dung;81 but grass was not supposed to have evolved until at least 10 million years after the dinosaurs went extinct.

"A mammal hair was found in amber supposed 100 million years old.82 This is right in the middle of the alleged ‘age of dinosaurs’ when no such mammals supposedly existed.

"The BHA continues, “The great British biologist J B S Haldane was once challenged … to name a single discovery which would falsify the theory of evolution. ‘Fossil rabbits in the Precambrian,’ Haldane growled.” However, many observed features of the fossil record, such as those cited above, are just as damaging as Precambrian rabbits would be. Since evolutionists explain these away, they would also explain away Precambrian rabbits if any were found.

unquote....

Now there is a trend in evolutionary science that is becoming rather worrying for them.

new fossils are being discovered that are from times earlier and earlier in the fossil record. the tree of life is in danger of being reduced to a bush with all the "branches" diverging off from the base. In fact it is becoming so difficult to fit some lineages back on the mainstem of the Single Common Ancestor, that they remain isolated as "Ghost Lineages"

the more this happens, the more difficult it is to have a nice orderly progression of evolution - it happens abruptly, with a large jump.

it used to be that grasses were thought to have evolved long after the dinos went extinct - but apparently , according to Fitz , the evolution of grasses has been pushed back to the time of the dinosaurs.

but, even worse - did you see the reference to Pollen being found in the Pre Cambrian? that is (apparently) as stunning as finding a rabbit there.
    (dunno y , rabbits eat grass, grass is a flowering plant, flowering plants make pollen - why wouldnt you find rabbits , grass and pollen in the precambrian? - actually, just as well - or Noah would not have been able to save any rabbits cos, remember? the ark and the flood started in the precambrian)

- and (while we are at it ) it was the flood that caused all the major sedmtry. formtns. - including Ayres rock and (what became) Mt Everest.

and may i suggest you have a quiet grok of this before rushing to yr keyboard

cheers,

frank
    Last edited by Frank!; 09-14-2018 at 06:17 AM.

this is an excerpt from an article that i posted earlier

“There is not a single example of a fossil in the wrong place.” Really?77,78

"Evidence of flowering plants in the form of pollen fossils79 have been found in Precambrian strata.
    According to evolutionists, flowering plants first evolved 160 million years ago; but, they say, the Precambrian rocks are more than 550 million years old.

"A dog-like mammal fossil80 was found with remains of dinosaurs in its stomach—but, we’re told, no mammals large enough to prey on dinosaurs existed at that time.

"Grass has been found in fossilized dinosaur dung;81 but grass was not supposed to have evolved until at least 10 million years after the dinosaurs went extinct.

"A mammal hair was found in amber supposed 100 million years old.82 This is right in the middle of the alleged ‘age of dinosaurs’ when no such mammals supposedly existed.

"The BHA continues, “The great British biologist J B S Haldane was once challenged … to name a single discovery which would falsify the theory of evolution. ‘Fossil rabbits in the Precambrian,’ Haldane growled.” However, many observed features of the fossil record, such as those cited above, are just as damaging as Precambrian rabbits would be. Since evolutionists explain these away, they would also explain away Precambrian rabbits if any were found.

unquote....

Now there is a trend in evolutionary science that is becoming rather worrying for them.

new fossils are being discovered that are from times earlier and earlier in the fossil record. the tree of life is in danger of being reduced to a bush with all the "branches" diverging off from the base. In fact it is becoming so difficult to fit some lineages back on the mainstem of the Single Common Ancestor, that they remain isolated as "Ghost Lineages"

the more this happens, the more difficult it is to have a nice orderly progression of evolution - it happens abruptly, with a large jump.

it used to be that grasses were thought to have evolved long after the dinos went extinct - but apparently , according to Fitz , the evolution of grasses has been pushed back to the time of the dinosaurs.

but, even worse - did you see the reference to Pollen being found in the Pre Cambrian? that is (apparently) as stunning as finding a rabbit there.
    (dunno y , rabbits eat grass, grass is a flowering plant, flowering plants make pollen - why wouldnt you find rabbits , grass and pollen in the precambrian? - actually, just as well - or Noah would not have been able to save any rabbits cos, remember? the ark and the flood started in the precambrian)

- and (while we are at it ) it was the flood that caused all the major sedmtry. formtns. - including Ayres rock and (what became) Mt Everest.

and may i suggest you have a quiet grok of this before rushing to yr keyboard

cheers,

frank
    You really are delusional.

I did warn you that Frank would deflect.

Like I said, you will have to spell it out in words of one syllable with no wriggle room.
    Law of Conservation of mass: Mass can neither be created or destroyed. There is not enough water in the oceans to cover the highest mountain to 15 cubits, or it will be doing so now. So where did the extra mass of water come from and go away to?
    Law of conservation of energy: Energy can neither be created or destroyed. So where did the energy required to accelerate all of that huge mass of water to create the "Catastrophic" behaviour come from, and where did it dissipate to afterwards?
    Newtons laws of motion: Every object in a state of uniform motion tends to remain in that state of motion unless an external force is applied to it. So where did the force come from and how was it applied to the water to cause all of it to start to move at the velocity needed to erode, move and deposit all of those millions of tonnes of sediment?

The catastrophic flood that deposited all of those layers of sediment whilst not destroying an ark built of gopher wood contravenes all of those laws.,

Gary - are you even on song???

go back and have another look at what i have said about #1

re #2 i still have no idea what i have posted that you are referring to, what in it exactly that is is not physically possible, nor even what laws are being broken.
    You will need to spell it out s Frank ignores my posts.

Creation.com's 'dog-like mammal' was apparently an egg-laying marsupial with no known present-day descendents. Not really very dog-like, then?

Why do you think they use such language, Frank? Any ideas?

Andy