Page 165 of 167 FirstFirst ... 65115155164165166 ... LastLast
Results 5,741 to 5,775 of 5816

Thread: Scientific knowledge

Default Re: Scientific knowledge

frank!,

You want to walk back that homosexual nonsense comment?

Or be counted as a disgusting bigot?

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Frank! View Post
    QUOTE=artif;5806928]Your true colours, finally showing through r

- part ov my frustration, then - that ppl have taken so long to geddit....
    OK, so you are a self identifying bigot.
    Fairy nuff.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Page 170?!

I sense a conclusion, in a couple of meanings of the word.

Andy
    "We were schooner-rigged and rakish, with a long and lissome hull ..."

gimmee a chance....
    Not on that one. Creationism is ridiculous, but unlikely to do too much damage. We've had too many years of religious bigotry as law. No more. To hell with the fundamentalists and the Taliban.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Not on that one. Creationism is ridiculous, but unlikely to do too much damage. We've had too many years of religious bigotry as law. No more. To hell with the fundamentalists and the Taliban.
    Fundamentalism is any "ISM" for dummies. Hindu, Muslim, Christian. Christians don't have a lock on fundamentalism -- they just think they do.
    But agreed: to hell with fundamentalism. Not everybody is born stupid.
    "The future is already here — it's just not very evenly distributed." William Gibson

Hey - dont be tooo serioius - that was meant to be my cheap shot in response to your cheap shot.....
    It wasn’t a cheap shot on my part it was a serious comment about prayer and it’s effectiveness. You don’t think all those Jews prayed for gods help as they rounded up and murdered?
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Came across this and I thought it relevant to discussion on the erosive process of river systems.
    04827867-CA0C-4FF2-B2A0-16C93C37DADE.jpg
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Quote Originally Posted by webishop14 View Post
    Fundamentalism is any "ISM" for dummies. Hindu, Muslim, Christian. Christians don't have a lock on fundamentalism -- they just think they do. But agreed: to hell with fundamentalism. Not everybody is born stupid.
    No, some are made stupid by how they're raised, and some study hard to be stupid. I tend to use 'fundamentalism' in the original sense, the Christian movement in the early 20th century of which our friend Frank is a descendant, and the books 'The Fundamentals: A Testimony To The Truth' that gave it its name (link here with more than you ever wanted to know) - but I realize it's come to mean any reactionary reason-denying kind of religion.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,

Richard Feynman

No, some are made stupid by how they're raised, and some study hard to be stupid. I tend to use 'fundamentalism' in the original sense, the Christian movement in the early 20th century of which our friend Frank is a descendant, and the books 'The Fundamentals: A Testimony To The Truth' that gave it its name (link here with more than you ever wanted to know) - but I realize it's come to mean any reactionary reason-denying kind of religion.
    If Frank is to be believed he did well at school and considered and may have attended Uni or college on an engineering (appliance of science ) course. He achieved stupidity later in life, like an early onset senility.
    Last edited by Peerie Maa; 02-07-2019 at 04:57 PM.

Being wrong and being stupid aren't the same, but too much cumulative wrong . . .

Richard Feynman

Being wrong and being stupid aren't the same, but too much cumulative wrong . . .
    Well how would you define a behaviour that deliberately ignores basic science that one learned and passed exams in at school?

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Well how would you define a behaviour that deliberately ignores basic science that one learned and passed exams in at school?
    Nailed much earlier in this very thread by Bruce
    Misapplication of reason
    Creationists aren't mad - they're possessed of demons.

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post
    Nailed much earlier in this very thread by Bruce
    Misapplication of reason
    That is only half of it. Osborne's castles of logic discussing society could be described thus, but Frank takes it further. Frank has unlearned what he learned and understood when he matriculated from school, or whatever our Aussy friends do.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Came across this and I thought it relevant to discussion on the erosive process of river systems.
    Interesting.
    Looks at that rainbow right in the middle, whats going on there I wonder.

As Australia moves north and gets more chummy with Indonesia, the northern end of the continent is being pushed down, while the southern coast is being lifted up.
    I wonder what effect that will have on the Murray Darling? Could it conceivably switch directions at some 'tipping point'?
    Philip K. Dick — 'Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away'.

Frank has unlearned what he learned and understood when he matriculated from school...
    It's kind of full circle.
    I just took a peek at the OP again and Aquinians motivation was to discuss why/how we believe the things we believe.
    Discussing what we believe will always lead to Godwin.
    Philip K. Dick — 'Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away'.

Was this mentioned in the bible,if not why? https://www.livescience.com/64179-an...e=notification
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    Interesting.
    Looks at that rainbow right in the middle, whats going on there I wonder.

As Australia moves north and gets more chummy with Indonesia, the northern end of the continent is being pushed down, while the southern coast is being lifted up.
    I wonder what effect that will have on the Murray Darling? Could it conceivably switch directions at some 'tipping point'?
    Parallel lakes north of Lake Eyre I’d say.
    https://www.researchgate.net/figure/...fig5_233087689

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Was this mentioned in the bible,if not why? https://www.livescience.com/64179-an...e=notification
    God did smite the Earth and Lo and behold religion is born.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Here’s a link to the rest of the world.
    https://www.visualcapitalist.com/map...ds-watersheds/

Wow - the Mississippi!

[QUOTE=Keith Wilson;5807175]Your 'cheap shot' was underneath a quote of my post, which wasn't intended to be a cheap shot at all, but an attempt take you seriously, and at least have a civil conversation.

I'll say this very seriously: you can go on about geology and Ayers Rock/Uluru and the age of the earth as much as you like, and it won't do much harm, and we can have a relatively good-humored discussion. But if you try to turn your religion into law, and write bigotry and oppression into statute, and prevent my friends Monica and Nicole from getting married because you think the legends of nomadic herdsmen 3000 years ago are the inerrant words of the creator of the universe - then you have put yourself in the same category as the Taliban, and I will fight you to my last breath

That'sPence's job
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
    Page 170?!

I sense a conclusion, in a couple of meanings of the word.

Andy
    I'm only on page 149.

This figure is tweakable via your profile, I left it blank as the default is larger than any of the options.
    Creationists aren't mad - they're possessed of demons.

Lotsa gubbahs talking about gubbahs... The usual with the usual,, Mugilahs all.
    Xanthorrea

Quote Originally Posted by purri View Post
    Lotsa gubbahs talking about gubbahs... The usual with the usual,, Mugilahs all.
    And a Mugilahs is?

talk to the locals (a generic term with multiple connotations and philosophical inferences dependent upon intonation and stress)
    Xanthorrea

Quote Originally Posted by purri View Post
    talk to the locals (a generic term with multiple connotations and philosophical inferences dependent upon intonation and stress)
    Ah well, Frank won't do that. Your people did not write anything down in books, so to Frank you do not count.

- and I suppose that what's really pathetic - is that you guys are merely expressing what has become the ruling paradigm ......
    Regarding the natural world, we're expressed the ideas for which there is very nearly overwhelming evidence.

Regarding same-sex marriage, we are expressed the ideas which are most compatible with the worth and dignity of every human being, and most conducive to universal human well-being.

You are free to think it 'pathetic' if you like.

Richard Feynman

- and I suppose that what's really pathetic - is that you guys are merely expressing what has become the ruling paradigm ........

no wonder.......
    What is truly sadly pathetic is that the epiphany Frank reports was based on lies and misinformation from Creation.crap and noAnswersinGenisis.com.

Frank ignores facts that he does not like, so will have ignored the fact that both his need for a religion and homosexuality are hardwired when in the womb, and so deserve the same respect and consideration as each other.

Damn stuff has been around a long time.....

Certainly the patient never knew where the hip pain came from, or why its left leg stopped working. The diagnosis arrived only 240 million years later, when a femur turned up in an ancient lake bed in Germany, one side marred by a malignant bone tumor.Cancer seldom appears in the fossil record, and its history among vertebrates is poorly understood. On Thursday, a team of researchers writing in JAMA Oncologyhave described the femur as the oldest known case of cancer in an amniote, the group that includes reptiles, birds and mammals.
    Modern cancers are often diagnosed through soft-tissue examinations or biopsies, but that is a difficult prospect for cancer-hunters working with cold, hard fossils. Instead, it takes luck.
    “When it comes to our understanding of cancer in the past, we’re really just at the beginning,” said Michaela Binder, a bioarchaeologist at the Austrian Archaeological Institute who’s researched cancer in ancient humans. “It’s not like people say, ‘Oh, I want to go study cancer in ancient turtles or in fossil mammoths,’ because we have so little evidence.”
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/07/s...t-animals.html
    "Wherever there is a channel for water, there is a road for the canoe. " - Thoreau

The crux of the posts above I take to be "almost overwhelming" and "... millions of years".

Well, I've served up a Yorker that if you can't it dig out - is going to take yer middle stump!

I refer of course, to the near ubiquitous presence of Boulders in Poorly Sorted Sediments spread out over vast areas of the continents in apparently one single event, or series of events within a single year.

Prepare your smoking pipe!
    Or not.

but recorded in pictograms and oral histories. BTW the abstracts under the coloured diagram of Oz at # 5938 give ample information of palaeo flows and time scales but Moebius wont go there
    Ah well, Frank won't do that. Your people did not write anything down in books, so to Frank you do not count.
    Last edited by purri; 02-08-2019 at 05:03 PM.
    Xanthorrea

the near ubiquitous presence of Boulders in Poorly Sorted Sediments spread out over vast areas of the continents in apparently one single event, or series of events within a single year.
    We've been over this ad nauseum. It's complete nonsense. There is no geological evidence of anything vaguely resembling a biblical flood outside the fevered brains of the creationists.

Richard Feynman

I refer of course, to the near ubiquitous presence of Boulders in Poorly Sorted Sediments spread out over vast areas of the continents in apparently one single event, or series of events within a single year.
    So you are possessed of some geological sixth sense that enables you to class such an event as having occurred in a single year? Could you explain how that works?

If your are going to barricade yourself behind this wall of hallucinatory boulders, could you please, in brief, explain the physical mechanism of the depositional event?

That is, where did the boulders originate? How were they transported? What was the physical process involved? Its extent?

Don't cite your usual loony websites. Tell us in your own terms. Peer-reviewed pubs with maps, stratigraphy, etc. are good. If you use mathematics, so much the better.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

The crux of the posts above I take to be "almost overwhelming" and "... millions of years".

Well, I've served up a Yorker that if you can't it dig out - is going to take yer middle stump!

Prepare your smoking pipe!
    Not if you don’t insist upon the erroneous idea that it all happened in a single year ..for which there is no supporting evidence.

have you not looked , then?

(and note, for the purposes of scientific enquiry, evidence is evidence! - doesnt matter who digs it up)
    But there is none and you haven't provided any from a reliable source.