Page 66 of 160 FirstFirst ... 165665666776116 ... LastLast
Results 2,276 to 2,310 of 5578

Thread: Scientific knowledge

Default Re: Scientific knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Frank! View Post
    (QUOTE)=WX;5414279]Well that is the only reality. Geocentric, are you now claiming the Earth is the centre of the universe?
    the only reality ..... well, of course, for a dogmatist, no contrary evidence is admissible

Earth is the centre of the universe ..... interesting you should mention it:

so here is a slice of a map of the universe, form us out to the outer reaches of the universe, done by the SDSS people:

Figure 1. Sloan Digital Sky Survey (SDSS) map, each point showing the position of galaxies with respect to Earth at the apex. Their distances were determined from their spectra to create a 2 billion light-year-deep 3D map where each galaxy is shown as a single point. This is one half of the published map; the whole map shows 66,976 galaxies that lie near the plane of Earth’s equator from the 205,443 galaxies mapped. (From Astrophysical Research Consortium (ARC) and the Sloan Digital Sky Survey (SDSS) Collaboration, ref. 1.)

Note:

- a. the non-uniform structures (verboten under the current standard theory)

- b. centred upon us ???!!!

cheers,

frank[/QUOTE]

it appears centered on us because they mapped it from Earth. if they had mapped it from Mars it would appear to be centered on Mars.
    What non-uniform structures? I see masses of galaxies.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    A flood is powered by a difference in elevation (i.e. gravitational energy). Assuming you have heard the term 'sea level,' could you sketch how a 'flood' could take place at that elevation (or below?)
    There is a canyon slashed across Mars, many times greater than the Grand Canyon, and I understand that scientists have no problem attributing that to a G R E A T flood - even though there is no water on Mars.

I suggest Lyell has lulled us into thinking "tranquil" and "Steady as she Goes" and everything was looked at from that point of view - but as we have gone on, that paradigm has become less and less tenable. More and more , catastrophism is rearing it's ugly head in Geology.

Few, of course, are prepared to countenance a Noahic scenario yet - but watch this space!

The "Noah flood" as you call it was most likely a fairly localised event but big enough to leave a lasting impression on the locals. The boat shaped geological structure on Mt Ararat has helped fuel the mythology surrounding the event. Regarding Mars there is water but it's locked up as ice. The atmosphere is so thin that any liquid water would boil away very quickly. Also you can't compare the geomorphology of Mars to that of Earth as very different processes are involved.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

I probably will regret this but do you know about this book Frank!?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worlds_in_Collision

There is a canyon slashed across Mars, many times greater than the Grand Canyon, and I understand that scientists have no problem attributing that to a G R E A T flood - even though there is no water on Mars.

I suggest Lyell has lulled us into thinking "tranquil" and "Steady as she Goes" and everything was looked at from that point of view - but as we have gone on, that paradigm has become less and less tenable. More and more , catastrophism is rearing it's ugly head in Geology.

Few, of course, are prepared to countenance a Noahic scenario yet - but watch this space!
    Which has nothing to do with my question.

Not wasting any more time on you, wanker.

Have a nice life, etc.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

More and more , catastrophism is rearing it's ugly head in Geology.

I see that you cannot understand the science in #2263.
    So, is it because your mind is shut tight as a ducks arse in winter?
    Or is it because you don't have the mental agility?

Will we ever know? Do we care?
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    I see that you cannot understand the science in #2263.
    So, is it because your mind is shut tight as a ducks arse in winter?
    Or is it because you don't have the mental agility?

Will we ever know? Do we care?
    Losing patience mate?

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Losing patience mate?
    Yep, Don't like being disrespected. Ignoring someone is not respectful. This is like throwing stuff at a black hole.

at this stage I think I will pause to see if anyone is actually fair dinkum

I suggest that you start by looking in a mirror.

[QUOTE=Frank!;5414733]at this stage I think I will pause to see if anyone is actually fair dinkum[/QUOTE]

You don't know the bloody meaning of the expression.
    Everytime someone shows you the proof you concoct some airy fairy alternate theory.

Everytime someone shows you the proof you concoct some airy fairy alternate theory.
    Of course; what did you expect? He already knows The Truth. It should be obvious by now even to the most stubborn that discussing evidence-based science with Frank is utterly pointless. He has a book he's sure is the Inerrant Word of God, which he interprets literally to mean that the earth is a small number of thousands of years old, and that there was some kind of geological upheaval involving lots of water in the fairly recent past. For all that he blathers about being an honest searcher after truth, following the evidence wherever it leads, yadda yadda yadda, he's simply not telling the truth. He's looking only for evidence that will confirm what he thinks he already knows, which MUST exist, because Frank has the Inerrant Word of The Creator. Nothing you can say, no evidence you can present, no argument you can make, no data, no discussion of radioactivity or ice cores or magnetic field reversals or rock layers or fossils will have any effect, because he already knows The Truth.

He came close to admitting it himself, when I challenged him to say if there was any possible observation of the physical world that would cause him to think the accounts in Genesis weren't literally true. He danced around with some skill, and avoided it as best he could - but it's clear there isn't. I suspect it would remove the foundation on which he's built his world - and if that works for him, who am I to argue with what helps a guy to deal with the troubles of this life? But Frank, please don't pretend you're discussing the search for understanding of the physical world based on observation and experiment; i.e science. You're not.

Continue shoveling the ocean if you like, gentlemen. It won't have much effect, but it's decent exercise, and it makes a cheerful splash.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Of course; what did you expect? He already knows The Truth...
    Freedom!
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    Freedom!
    Oy! I don't think that's what he meant.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,

Richard Feynman

Why would you expect to be treated by others in a manner other than that by which you treat them? Start by being the change you want.
    "The future is already here — it's just not very evenly distributed." William Gibson

Some new research on plate tectonics.
    https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2017/10/e...ust-mapped-it/

i have done a bit of thinking and there is a lot that I might say - but I am going to pick up on just one question that Keith has put. (btw, Keith, you continue to get me all wrong - but I have given my testimony earlier and wont repeat here)

sometimes I'm a slow brained bear but ive just realised that your question is not so much a personal one, but goes to the heart of the scientific principle - that of falsifiability - and, of course, applies to everyone.

So, Keith ,"What evidence in the real world would change your mind?" (without checking I think that is essentially what you put)

for myself (not that I am wedded to the YEC position anyway - but for the sake of the discussion....) there would be quite a number of triggers, but let me put top of the list:

- Radiometric dating in the region beyond say 10,000 BC. if that were to be completely validated ie the various problems associated with it sorted out then I would think the young earth position collapses, with ongoing ramifications

But perhaps that is not what you meant by "real world" because it is something that happens in the Boffins labs ......

so how about a single log - not an arrangement of several logs unless the sequence is very clear - with say, 10,000 annual rings.

Now, over to you Keith (and everyone) 'What in the real world would falsify your position?'

btw, thankyou to some of you whose comments warrant a reply - but just for now I will have to defer. I would hope to get back when the opportunity offers.

Regards,

Frank

i have done a bit of thinking and there is a lot that I might say - but I am going to pick up on just one question that Keith has put. (btw, Keith, you continue to get me all wrong - but I have given my testimony earlier and wont repeat here)

sometimes I'm a slow brained bear but ive just realised that your question is not so much a personal one, but goes to the heart of the scientific principle - that of falsifiability - and, of course, applies to everyone.

So, Keith ,"What evidence in the real world would change your mind?" (without checking I think that is essentially what you put)

for myself (not that I am wedded to the YEC position anyway - but for the sake of the discussion....) there would be quite a number of triggers, but let me put top of the list:

- Radiometric dating in the region beyond say 10,000 BC. if that were to be completely validated ie the various problems associated with it sorted out then I would think the young earth position collapses, with ongoing ramifications

But perhaps that is not what you meant by "real world" because it is something that happens in the Boffins labs ......

so how about a single log - not an arrangement of several logs unless the sequence is very clear - with say, 10,000 annual rings.

Now, over to you Keith (and everyone) 'What in the real world would falsify your position?'

btw, thankyou to some of you whose comments warrant a reply - but just for now I will have to defer. I would hope to get back when the opportunity offers.

Regards,

Frank
    Knowning full well there are not trees 10,000 years old...you don't ask much do you?
    How about you prove to us will undeniable evidence that the world is only 6,000 years old?

Regards,

Frank
    First off, radiometric testing of ancient rocks is settled science, does not require treerings to validate it as there are other valid methods to do so.
    read these: https://ncse.com/library-resource/ra...ting-does-work
    and https://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/...ating_methods/

We have posted several links to explanations of how the different techniques work, so did you read them, could you understand the science?

Has any progress been made in the matter of brainwashing ?
    Creationists aren't mad - they're possessed of demons.

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post
    Has any progress been made in the matter of brainwashing ?
    We need to open the mind before we can insert the hose. We are working on it.

By 'real world' I mean 'observation of physical reality'. A lab is as real as a mountainside or the far side of another star, it's all the same world.

It has been completely validated, beyond any reasonable doubt. There are multiple independent dating methods that all correlate and reinforce each other. None of it is even close to compatible with a young earth. If you don't accept that evidence, nothing we can say will convince you.

I answered 'what in the real world would falsify my position' many pages back, immediately after you asked. And if you aren't a biblical literalist/fundamentalist, you are the probably the only young-earther who isn't.

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    And if you aren't a biblical literalist/fundamentalist, you are the probably the only young-earther who isn't.
    This creation myth http://dept.cs.williams.edu/~lindsey.../myths_13.html is better than Franks creation myth.
    And it goes back more than 60,000 years. http://www.australia.gov.au/about-au...tural-heritage

First off, radiometric testing of ancient rocks is settled science, ............?
    - maybe in your lunchbox, Nick - but you were cautioned in a post some time back (I am still working towards finding it) that tis no so

anyway a few search clicks should disabuse you of this notion - if you have a mind to look...

(inoffensively,)

frank

btw - not happy that with your positing that it is not possible to alter the angular momentum of a watermelon by whacking it with a cricket bat ......... maaaaaaaaaaaaaate, get real

- maybe in your lunchbox, Nick - but you were cautioned in a post some time back (I am still working towards finding it) that tis no so

anyway a few search clicks should disabuse you of this notion - if you have a mind to look...

(inoffensively,)

frank

btw - not happy that with your positing that it is not possible to alter the angular momentum of a watermelon by whacking it with a cricket bat ......... maaaaaaaaaaaaaate, get real
    More rubbish.
    get a watermelon, get a cricket bat and give the melon a really good wack. Get back to us with the result.

Bananas!

Fire departments.

Hose couplers.

Iced cream.

Mylar balloon, shaped like Spider-Man.

Peace,
    Robert

(inoffensively,)

frank

You really are clueless about the conservation of momentum, the transfer of energy or any other part of science.

Now, did you understand any of these?
    First off, radiometric testing of ancient rocks is settled science, does not require treerings to validate it as there are other valid methods to do so.
    read these: https://ncse.com/library-resource/ra...ting-does-work
    and https://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/...ating_methods/

We have posted several links to explanations of how the different techniques work, so did you read them, could you understand the science?

You really are clueless about the conservation of momentum, the transfer of energy or any other part of science.

Now, did you understand any of these?
    I look forward to the rational proving you are still wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    More rubbish.
    get a watermelon, get a cricket bat and give the melon a really good wack. Get back to us with the result.
    Got to be a glancing blow to get it to spin. Remember the billiards cue rebuttal?

Farthest monster black hole found

Astronomers have discovered the most distant "supermassive" black hole known to science.
    The matter-munching sinkhole is a whopping 13 billion light-years away, so far that we see it as it was a mere 690 million years after the Big Bang.
    But at about 800 million times the mass of our Sun, it managed to grow to a surprisingly large size such a short time after the origin of the Universe.
    The find is described in the journal Nature.

Little Foot skeleton unveiled in South Africa

One of the oldest and most complete skeletons of humankind's ancestors has been unveiled in South Africa.
    A team spent more than 20 years excavating, cleaning and putting together the skeleton of Little Foot.
    Its exact age is debated, but South African scientists say the remains are 3.67 million years old.
    This would mean Little Foot was alive about 500,000 years before Lucy, the famous skeleton of an ancient human relative found in Ethiopia.
    Both Little Foot and Lucy belong to the same genus - Australopithecus - but they are different species.
    Scientists believe this shows humankind's ancestors were spread across a far wider area of Africa than had previously thought. It also suggests there were a diverse number of species.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-42250530

67 pages...........cue the tumbleweed machine.

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

[QUOTE=Peerie Maa;5416242]You really are clueless about the conservation of momentum, the transfer of energy or any other part of science.

#2325 posted 8:02 AM

Got to be a glancing blow to get it to spin. Remember the billiards cue rebuttal?
    #2327 posted 8:16 AM

boy! is that a quick turnaround ?