Thread: Looking for a launch design, possibly Boston Power Dory from Gardner's book

Default Looking for a launch design, possibly Boston Power Dory from Gardner's book

I currently have plans for the Glen-L Harbormaster, but it looks wide compared to its length and has a lot of freeboard. I would like something more slender with less freeboard like the original launches in the early 1900s. This boat would be used on local lakes and the Ohio River on calm evenings (more than 3-4 inch chop and I'd rather stay home!). I've also considered the Boston powered dories in John Gardner's "Building Classic Small Craft". The length to width ratio (forgot the name) is about 4:1 for the power dories whereas only 3:1 for the Harbormaster. One thing I like about the HM is that it can support a canopy without being tender given it's wide beam and fairly flat bottom. The BPDs have about 2" of flat bottom at the widest section then a lot of deadrise, so I'm concerned about adding weight up high, as in a canopy.

Has anyone built a Boston Power Dory? How does it handle in sheltered waters?

What would be the pros and cons of each design?

Thanks,
    Scott
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Looking for a launch design, possibly Boston Power Dory from Gardner's book

This boat would be used on local lakes and the Ohio River on calm evenings (more than 3-4 inch chop and I'd rather stay home!).
    Why not build a flat bottom boat?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Default Re: Looking for a launch design, possibly Boston Power Dory from Gardner's book

Haven't found any plans for launch style flat-bottomed boats.

John Atkin's 22' Ninigret - very slight V

Simmons Sea Skiff

Redwing from 16 to 28 feet

I'd chat with a naval architect a bit. The BPD is lovely but I'd be surprised if her stability is what you'd want for an awning, much less for passengers lurching about. My Chamberlain Gunning dory was quite tender at low angles if lightly laden but given her shape hardened up quickly and I could at 200# stand on the rail amidships without shipping water. However a more straight sided dory won't do that light and when laden have a "hull speed" that's like hitting a wall. Nice and efficient at three or four knots and just not happening at 5+.

Thanks, Ian, that was my concern. Haven't been able to find any plans for the old style launches and the Boston Power Dory had the above water profile and length/beam that I would like. The Glen-L Harbormaster looks too wide, too short, and too much out of the water.

A 28 foot dory is a big dory...
    Atkin has some very nice flat bottom boats
    http://www.atkinboatplans.com/Utilities/XLNC.html

Here's another http://www.atkinboatplans.com/Utilities/MittyAnn.html

I am building the Russel R http://www.atkinboatplans.com/Oar/RussellR.html . The stage I am at right now is building the forms, having completed the lofting. Russell R is designed for plank on frame but I am going to modify it for plywood.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldad View Post
    I am building the Russel R http://www.atkinboatplans.com/Oar/RussellR.html . The stage I am at right now is building the forms, having completed the lofting. Russell R is designed for plank on frame but I am going to modify it for plywood.
    That is a nice one, with the outboard in a box...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    Redwing from 16 to 28 feet

Oh, yes. If we hadn't dumbed into a Sneakeasy, this would be the type of powerboat for me.
    Something with a little hard canopy like that...

Peace,
    Robert

You've mentioned the waters and general conditions. How many folks? You really want that awning? Any weight or length restrictions?

3 or 4 people regularly, 5-6 at times, 7-8 rarely. Weight under 5,000 since trailered (weight shouldn't be much of a constraint), length 22-25 feet (22 would make it pretty narrow if aiming for 4:1 length/beam as most old launches had). 8-10hp electric motor with enough battery power for 20-30 miles at 2.5 to 3 mph with top speed around 5. Would like benches down the sides. Awning would be nice for looks but also because I burn really easy and am tired of dermatologist talking about cutting spots off. I really like the side view of the Harbormaster, but don't like how high it rides and the amount of freeboard, along with how wide it is for its length. Its round bilge but fairly flat bottom gives it a fair amount of initial stability, unlike the BPD.

okay so the parameters given evolve a bit. . .
    slow speed, long distance, calm water, electric power

culler's fan tail

Bolger

Forum member Denny Wolf's Harmony 25 electric launch. I've been aboard this boat and it is stunning.

there is great variety of stately, efficient, and comfortable looking electric Thames launches. . .

Were I building such and had the skills or money, either the Culler or Bolger would do very prettily. The Elco 12 HP equivalent looks about right for you. For comfort I'd personally either add the genset or put in for much more batteries since your plans are about at the limit of their standard range.

A lovely launch down here was converted to electric but the owner could not get used to it, never had confidence that he was monitoring the batteries correctly, and really did not use her enough to ever get there. Sadly, converted back.

In that job, I also wonder if they got the prop size and pitch right. The space might have been too small for the option of slow turning that electric makes available. Were I investing in such, I'd be asking Elco about controllable pitch. I'm loving the AutoProps I put on Meg but I'm not sure that self-pitching is just the right call for electric. Saab makes some controllable pitch props in this horse power range.

Paul, do you have a link for the plans for the Harmony 25 or Annabelle X?

Thanks

Ian, I've looked at the Bolger study plan, but was a little intimidated by the fantail. It looks a lot more complicated than a transom. I'll give it another look, sure it's possible, just take more study and time. My builds thus far have all been glued lap, haven't done any cold molding. The study plan lists lapstrake as an alternative, but I can't picture how lapstrake sides work with a fantail.
    Last edited by Scott in WV; 09-08-2017 at 03:44 PM.

http://www.wolfeboats.com/

built by Denny Wolfe who posts to this forum as McDenny: http://forum.woodenboat.com/member.php?12129-mcdenny

From his webpage it doesn't look like Denny sells the plans.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott in WV View Post
    From his webpage it doesn't look like Denny sells the plans.
    I believe the design for Harmony utilizes the lines plan of an 'autoboat' launch from Edson Shock/Weston Farmer called Coyote II.

here is the original Coyote, which is somewhat narrower version of Coyote II.

All of this is from Denny's webpage. Shoot him a pm, he is active on the forum and engages in discussion surrounding electric boats, and these types of runabouts. He's designed and built a number of wooden boats over the years.
    Last edited by Paul Pless; 09-08-2017 at 03:41 PM.

I believe the majority of Weston farmer's plans are held at Mystic Seaport.

Look up this thread. Forumite Rich Jones recently completed a beautiful launch that he powered with electric power. Sounds liek a match for your described needs.

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...nch&highlight=

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Paul Fisher draws some good boats ... http://www.selway-fisher.com/Motorcruisers.htm
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Thanks for the thread link, Kevin! That's a great thread on the fantail launch build! I'm about 1/6 through it so far, have already learned a lot. The thought of framing and planking the fantail don't seem near as insurmountable as they did before reading it.