Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mid Atlantic Small Craft Festival, Oct 7-8, 2017

Default Re: Mid Atlantic Small Craft Festival, Oct 7-8, 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    Darn. Why aren't there more interested in this when the Everglades Challenge draws such a huge crowd? Is it lack of publicity? I wasn't ready this year, but I'd like to at least do the Wye Island loop.
    From what I've seen, there aren't many wooden/traditional boats in the Everglades Challenge. Lots of paddlers and Hobie-type boats, a good bunch of people, but not nearly as much overlap between WaterTribe and the world of self-built wooden boats as I expected when I first heard about it.

Tom
    Last edited by WI-Tom; 10-10-2017 at 03:10 PM.
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post
    That Nutshell looks like a lot of fun. There's something to be said for going small.
    Oh it was. Even moreso when I left my buddy's West Wight Potter in my wake!

EDIT: Missed the part of the thread that made it clear this referred to the other Nutshell - but it was still fun!

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    From what I've seen, there aren't many wooden/traditional boats in the Everglades Challenge. Lots of paddlers and Hobie-type boats, a good bunch of people, but not nearly as much overlap between WaterTribe and the world of self-built wooden boats as I expected when I first heard about it.

Tom
    I would love to do an adventure type race, but not if I had to miss the festival itself. And B & B, who has a stellar record in the EC was exhibiting. Graham Byrnes and Alan Stewart from B & B gave the key note on saturday night.
    Take Care,
    Steve W

Honeoye Falls, New York
    Building a B & B Core Sound 20 Mark III "Jazz Hands"
    Spindrift 11N Suzy J Build Pictures
    A little video of the Suzy J and my youngest son

Kristen, the CBMM director, is a hard core Everglades Challenge paddler. There have been home built craft of many kinds mostly oar and sail in the EC. For a few years the EC organization ran a spring Chesapeake event out of Matapeake with the Kent/ Wye Island course as the ultra marathon and a run down to the MD VA line as the long one. I did the marathon a couple of times and was set to do the long run when they cancelled. Couldn't get enough registrants to keep it up. I think one of the attractions of the Florida event is that it is in the winter so many people like to get out of ice and snow. All that said these do require some real training/ pain and discomfort tolerance. The Kent Island course that the museum has set up is a great run and I would have done it this year except for a conflict with the greenland paddling event in Delaware. Kristen is trying to keep that course alive.

I think this year it didn't get marketed real well. Last year we had a bunch of entrants but the weather was so bad that both the Kent Island and Wye Island events were cancelled.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Was a good race this year. Enough wind, but not too much. Everyone had a good run. I'll have photos and video in a few days. In the meantime, here a few from Saturday morning before the race. Sorry they're so big; that's just the way they come through when posted here:

http://www.eyeinhand.com/2017/10/11/saturday-morning-boats-st-michaels/

Last edited by EyeInHand; 10-12-2017 at 12:38 PM.

Last edited by EyeInHand; 10-12-2017 at 12:39 PM.

Last edited by EyeInHand; 10-12-2017 at 12:40 PM.

Amazing shots Barry, you do have an eye! Thanks for posting.
    Steve B
    TraditionalSmallCraftAssociation
    DowneastTSCA.org

TraditionalSmallCraft.com
    RIVUS 16' Melonseed

"If a man must be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." E. B. White

Luminous images, really fine, thanks Barry!

Great shots. Those boats somehow look better in the photos than they did from the docks -- and they weren't shabby there, either!
    -Dave

Yes, really adds to the enjoyment of it all. Jim et al, be sure to check out his link above for more great shots!

Superb photo's with a greate vibe
    I love the diversiteit of designs abound.
    Do I spot a Gartside 10ft "Spitfires" sailing Pram On the Dock in picture 15?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Fuller View Post
    Kristen, the CBMM director, is a hard core Everglades Challenge paddler. There have been home built craft of many kinds mostly oar and sail in the EC.
    Ben,

that's true about home built boats being part of the Everglades Challenge--certainly Graham Byrnes and his designs have broken just about every record there is in that race, then there's Matt Layden, a Welsford Scamp or two, a Welsford Walkabout, a Ross Lillistone Phoenix III (don't ask me how I know!), a CLC Noreaster Dory, an 8' pram, a Michalak Laguna, Lugnut in his Michalak boat (forgot the design), even an "expedition" Puddle Duck Racer--lots of strip and plywood kayaks as well.

Still, the years that I was there, the home-built wooden boats made up a very small percentage of the fleet when mixed in with the Kruger canoes, Hobies, and factory-built sailboats (e.g. Sea Pearls seem to be popular). I really did get a very different vibe from the EC participants than I get at the various wooden boat museums and festivals.

None of that, by the way, is meant to be disparaging--just my own observations. My own approach has evolved more toward cruising in small groups or solo, but I suppose someday I'll return to the EC for my gator tooth.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by SBrookman View Post
    Amazing shots Barry, you do have an eye! Thanks for posting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skegemog View Post
    Luminous images, really fine, thanks Barry!
    Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    Great shots. Those boats somehow look better in the photos than they did from the docks -- and they weren't shabby there, either!

Thanks, Barry. I'll echo these thoughts, fantastic photos.

Thanks Barry, I always look forward to the photo-show after the festival. Saturday was a great day for picture-taking. A little shaky in my 8 foot tender though...

Here's an Eastern Shore stick-up.

A Ness yawl raising sail.

And again out in the race.

That Coquina was in the perfect spot Saturday morning. Some of mine might repeat what we've seen already.

With coquinas in mind, Jim offered a nice view of his plank lines here.

Woxbox's prohibition stripper. Nice job on a custom design. I know a few people who were looking at this as their people's choice award.

A very salty scow schooner. It's a scaled down version of what can be found in American Small Sailing Craft.

The draketail that is also for sale through the CBMM.

And a couple of 18 footers by Lowndes Johnson. These were quite quick on the water.

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Really nice, Andy. And nice for people to see someone else saw the same thing, that we're not just making this stuff up. It really did look like that. ;-)

I never got close to Jim's boat on the water. He's too fast and I'm to slow to keep up. Great to see it in action.

These shots are exquisite Andy, the light and composition are perfect, you and Barry should get together and put out a calendar- Ben Mendlowitz has got nothing on you guys! Also, it looks like I need to touch up my bottom paint....
    Last edited by Skegemog; 10-14-2017 at 04:40 PM.

Thanks Jim.

You sail that coquina quite well. I've always imagined that they take a level of coordination above the standard rig and tiller arrangement, and I'm impressed.

Thanks Andy, she is a little quirky but I feel like I'm getting the hang of it. Loved seeing your tender on the water!

Hey Jim,
    I think this is the first time I've seen a close-up of your Coquina. Nice Job!
    The mizzen sheet arrangement looks familiar...

Cheers,
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Hazard View Post
    Hey Jim,
    I think this is the first time I've seen a close-up of your Coquina. Nice Job!
    The mizzen sheet arrangement looks familiar...

Cheers,
    Rob
    Thanks Rob! got a chance to actually use my tyvek boom tent for the first time cruising around on the days leading up to the MASCF, thought I was so clever with my collapsible wishbone boom crutch and then saw a shot of SLIPPER with one very similar on here somewhere....we must be on the same wavelength!

Quote Originally Posted by Skegemog View Post
    These shots are exquisite Andy, the light and composition are perfect, you Barry should get together and put out a calender- Ben Mendlowitz has got nothing on you guys! Also, it looks like I need to touch up my bottom paint....
    And I need to learn how to furl the sails on Mark's Coquina better! Having a boat that's camera bait is quite a responsibility. ��

Wow. I have got to get to this festival sometime!

Thanks for sharing.

Mike
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

Oh you should definitely plan to make it one year. The diehards show up mid-week, some of which for the Wye Island overnight. We enjoyed the luxury of having the Monday off afterward, which meant we could take Sunday slowly. Most folks head out on Sunday like it was a crime scene.

How about a few more;

Steve heading out in his Pathfinder. He runs a picturesque blog of his travels in Spartina.

Barry's melonseed in the foreground; Marsh Cat behind.

Bow of the 1800's Lawley cutter Elf.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewdarius View Post
    \ Most folks head out on Sunday like it was a crime scene.
    Very true! I had a wonderful sail across the Miles and up into Hunting Creek Sunday morning, when I returned the museum was a ghost town.

Yeah, rain was predicted and many had long drives home.
    -Dave

A west-coaster, I was on my way home from a road trip to Newfoundland - I had looked at visiting the MASCF but the truck is old and timing was tight so it looked unlikely until I got lucky and caught the night ferry to the mainland, saving a day. I arrived in St Michael's on the Thursday night and immediately wanted to be part of it, so got the old cedar strip canoe down off the camper and registered it in the show. It's not really in "show" condition after 32 years and many repairs, but it (and my entry fee) got me in.

I had a fantastic time, this is a great weekend and I can't recommend it highly enough. Amazing boats in an amazing setting, shown, paddled and sailed by a very friendly crowd. Special thanks to George, Marla and Brian for making me welcome and introducing me to lots of other folk. They also took me sailing on the Chesapeake in George and Marla's Crotch Island Pinky. Pete Peterson invited me to the musical soiree after hours, it was a small but dedicated (and talented) group and I really enjoyed that too. I should also mention that the organizers did a bang-up job.

Anyone coming to Vancouver Island is welcome to contact me, and maybe I can pay some of that hospitality forward!

Cheers,

Jamie

Really enjoyed all those photos. Thanks for taking the time to post them.

thanks all, especially Barry. What do we know about the Lowndes Johnson 18s?
    Re-naming straits as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by davebrown View Post
    thanks all, especially Barry. What do we know about the Lowndes Johnson 18s?
    One is owned by Pete Lesher, curator at the CBMM. His was built in 1922. You can contact him and I am sure he would be happy to share all he knows, which I imagine is quite a lot.

Actually both the 18s are owned by Pete. He just could not sail them both simultaneously, so I borrowed one (Sea Hawk) and took Mariana Lesher as crew, though the results would have been the same if she had been driving and I had crewed! Anyway, yes they are very fast and we did well.

Jamie, so you did make it. I was the one who recommended you bring your Chebacco (One day I will see one!). But I didn't think you made it. I'm the goofball playing that 3/4 Martin and Harmonica (I need to learn some new songs!) each night (we peaked out at Wye Island), sailing a Sea Pearl and loving that whole event. I also took pics of the winning Boats which I need to post.

And Barry, great shots as usual.
    Take Care,
    Steve W

Honeoye Falls, New York
    Building a B & B Core Sound 20 Mark III "Jazz Hands"
    Spindrift 11N Suzy J Build Pictures
    A little video of the Suzy J and my youngest son

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W (NY) View Post
    Jamie, so you did make it. I was the one who recommended you bring your Chebacco (One day I will see one!). But I didn't think you made it. I'm the goofball playing that 3/4 Martin and Harmonica (I need to learn some new songs!) each night (we peaked out at Wye Island), sailing a Sea Pearl and loving that whole event. I also took pics of the winning Boats which I need to post.

And Barry, great shots as usual.
    Hi Steve,

Yes, I wasn't sure I'd be there until I actually rolled through the entrance. I wished for Wayward Lass (the aforementioned Chebacco) often during the weekend, but the drive was hairy enough without a trailer! I enjoyed your playing. hadn't heard you before so all the songs were new, no problem.

There's a chance I'll be on the east coast again in two years. If that works out, the festival will be on my list for sure for sure!

Jamie