Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another thread that does not fit the bilge narrative

Default Another thread that does not fit the bilge narrative

So Menendez is probably going to lose his job as a senator for New Jersey. Geng, Jack, anyone want to run with this? I recommend starting out by positing that he is representative of all Democrats, highlighting his ties to Clinton, and then maybe a GOP conspiracy strawman to bring him down.

Good luck,

And a link for the blue team,

https://wonkette.com/622580/wonkette...ere-a-democrat
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

Default Re: Another thread that does not fit the bilge narrative

If he's convicted, Christie gets to appoint his successor. The balance in the Senate will tilt even more to the right.

NJ has not elected a Republican Senator since 1972, so the love won't last. Maybe he appoints himself?

What 'bilge narrative' are we discussing?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

reds always defend reds no matter how heinous the crime or level of red stupidity. They think we should be covering for this guy.
    "Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Alice

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
    If he's convicted, Christie gets to appoint his successor. The balance in the Senate will tilt even more to the right.

NJ has not elected a Republican Senator since 1972, so the love won't last. Maybe he appoints himself?
    These things take time, and I read that Christy may loose to the blue team early in 2018. Add to that he may actually go free. The prosecution has to prove he wouldn't have voted the way he did without the money.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by John of Phoenix View Post
    reds always defend reds no matter how heinous the crime or level of red stupidity. They think we should be covering for this guy.
    switters?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

For the sake of keeping a Democrat in the Senate, I'd let Menendez shot someone and I'd still support him. Well... maybe not, but close.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

switters?
    Its nuanced Dave. Oh look, a classic example just showed up, "For the sake of keeping a Democrat in the Senate, I'd let Menendez shot someone and I'd still support him. Well... maybe not, but close."

I don't get to see much of JOP, hi. I am so red that I infiltrated the blue team and caucused for Bernie in order to sabotage the Clinton Campaign. We have much in common comrade.

If he is found guilty he needs to go, not much time left 2018 or Christi would probably appoint himself.

Interesting scenario if the trial is over by the beginning of January.

Quote Originally Posted by switters View Post
    Its nuanced Dave. Oh look, a classic example just showed up, "For the sake of keeping a Democrat in the Senate, I'd let Menendez shot someone and I'd still support him. Well... maybe not, but close."

I don't get to see much of JOP, hi. I am so red that I infiltrated the blue team and caucused for Bernie in order to sabotage the Clinton Campaign. We have much in common comrade.
    There's very little nuance to the following truism: It's impossible to discuss intelligently whether some fits a 'bilge narrative', and how, if we don't know what narrative we are referencing.

So... what bilge narrative is that quote a 'classic example' of?

It really shouldn't be hard or controversial to define our terms, eh?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

I preferred the bilge narrative when it included more people that knew right from wrong without checking first.
    We don't know how lucky we are....

40,000 posts and you dont see a narrative here in the bilge? You are not stupid, and I'm not going to play semantic swordfight to derail the thread any further.

Let me guess. The narrative that Democrats all stick together? That the Clintons own the party and it will ever be so?

I don't think either of those things are the case anymore, although unity for the Democrats is going to be a key theme. Unfortunately, that unity must exclude the Clintons. They're cooked. As for Menendez, treat him as he deserves. The trial will out the details, but I have no trouble believing wrong doing isn't strictly a Republican trait.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

40,000 posts and you dont see a narrative here in the bilge? You are not stupid, and I'm not going to play semantic swordfight to derail the thread any further.
    That would be correct: I do NOT see a 'bilge narrative'. Not one overarching narrative that could be called 'ours', or 'the' storyline. What I see is lots of narratives - depending on the topic and the contributors.

And one of my ongoing hobbyhors... errr, I mean 'narratives'... has to do with accuracy and clarity. At least one of which was missing from your OP. Again - I was simply attempting to clarify WHAT we were discussing before discussing it. So I'll ask politely once more. What do you imagine the 'bilge narrative' about Menendez is? Or is it a narrative about corruption? Partisanship? New Jersey politics? Media bias?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    Let me guess. The narrative that Democrats all stick together? That the Clintons own the party and it will ever be so?

I don't think either of those things are the case anymore, although unity for the Democrats is going to be a key theme. Unfortunately, that unity must exclude the Clintons. They're cooked. As for Menendez, treat him as he deserves. The trial will out the details, but I have no trouble believing wrong doing isn't strictly a Republican trait.

More along the lines of the blue team can do no wrong, and the red team can do no right. But I can agree with the way you said it also.

Granted there is a weak counter narrative here, but the over all vibe in other terms is Yea Blue team, boo Red team. Any mention of bad blue team players obviously results in misdirection. All of which continues to divide and conquer those who have more in common with each other than with the one percent.

No David, I am not going to answer any more pseudo Socratic questions about the meaning of "Yea" or "Boo" or "vibe" or "is".

Anyway, Menendez's seat is not going to be enough to turn the tide for the red or the blue team, but the blue team needs it the most. I was also reading that he could be reelected and would then have to be fired by the senate, should they choose to do so.

Cheers,

If he is convicted he will be tossed out period, you bid a senator I'll raise you a Trump, I'm sure you will just as supportive.

I almost have to wonder how anyone gets caught on bribery when Citizens United is a virtual green light.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Smith porter maine View Post
    If he is convicted he will be tossed out period, you bid a senator I'll raise you a Trump, I'm sure you will just as supportive.
    Exponentially supportive, a grifter Democrat from New Jersey is pretty insignificant to my concerns compared to ecological damage being done by the current administration.

More along the lines of the blue team can do no wrong, and the red team can do no right. But I can agree with the way you said it also.

Ohhhh... THAT bilge narrative. Well... why didn't you just say so? I mean THAT is certainly obvious and reasonable. <shaking my pom poms>

Granted there is a weak counter narrative here, but the over all vibe in other terms is Yea Blue team, boo Red team. Any mention of bad blue team players obviously results in misdirection. All of which continues to divide and conquer those who have more in common with each other than with the one percent.

No David, I am not going to answer any more pseudo Socratic questions about the meaning of "Yea" or "Boo" or "vibe" or "is".

NO. I was NOT playing games with you. You posted something ambiguous, and I was asking you to clarify.

Anyway, Menendez's seat is not going to be enough to turn the tide for the red or the blue team, but the blue team needs it the most. I was also reading that he could be reelected and would then have to be fired by the senate, should they choose to do so.

Cheers,
    I say root out ALL corruption, without regard to party, longevity, or hair-color.

Problem is - there will always be some bad apples. Even in the best of times. And this is not the best of times. This is our latest attempt to prove Lord Acton correct when it comes to corruption.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

You have it backwards, switters. No one has seriously defended Menendez or any other Democrat who finds him/herself in legitimate hot water. That idiot weiner and his sexting comes to mind as does the guy from Louisiana with ten grand in his freezer. "Let the chips fall where they may." We're not going to defend the indefensible.

reds on the other hand... Just look at the trumpsters - they'll defend anything that moron does. Remember Vitter, the homophobe with "the wide stance".Wanna revisit Abramoff and dubya? What rove did to McCain?

Nothing but excuses by reds. They leap to defending the indefensible.

Do I misread you, or is that what you're doing?

Someone may have to quote this post for his benefit as I may be on an Ignore List. (How I DO love that! )
    Last edited by John of Phoenix; 09-06-2017 at 06:21 PM.
    "Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Alice

Quote Originally Posted by John of Phoenix View Post
    You have it backwards, switters. No one has seriously defended Menendez or any other Democrat who finds him/herself in legitimate hot water. That idiot weiner and his sexting comes to mind as does the guy from Louisiana with ten grand in his freezer. "Let the chips fall where they may." We're not going to defend the indefensible.

reds on the other hand... Just look at the trumpsters - they'll defend anything that moron does. Remember Vitter, the homophobe with "the wide stance".Wanna revisit Abramoff and dubya? What rove did to McCain?

Nothing but excuses by reds. They leap to defending the indefensible.

Do I misread you, or is that what you're doing?

Someone may have to quote this post for his benefit as I may be on an Ignore List. (How I DO love that! )
    Ayup
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Cheers,
    The Blue team can certainly do wrong, but the Red Team hasn't done any 'right' since they elected the treasonous scumbag we know as Richard F Nixon.

They are quite simply out to destroy your government, and they are enjoying remarkable success, too.

And you lead the cheers for them.

Hope you're proud.
    Rattling the teacups.

Exponentially supportive, a grifter Democrat from New Jersey is pretty insignificant to my concerns compared to ecological damage being done by the current administration.
    Excellent Mueller will be done soon if there is nothing there, but the fact he is hiring is problematic, I appreciate your support in keeping America free.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Smith porter maine View Post
    Excellent Mueller will be done soon if there is nothing there, but the fact he is hiring is problematic, I appreciate your support in keeping America free.
    Thor only knows how much he's spending. kenney starr spent how many tens of millions?

How about Benghazi, Benghazi, Benghazi?

Benghazi II, Benghazi II, Benghazi II?

Benghazi III, Benghazi III, Benghazi III?

How f***ing much was all THAT?

Surely, SURELY reds would never have any concerns about the simple COST of investigating the donald administration. Not if it was in the name of Justice.
    Last edited by John of Phoenix; 09-06-2017 at 07:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    The Blue team can certainly do wrong, but the Red Team hasn't done any 'right' since they elected the treasonous scumbag we know as Richard F Nixon.

They are quite simply out to destroy your government, and they are enjoying remarkable success, too.

Hope you're proud.
    That's about the size of it.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Hope you're proud.
    Try reading for context instead of joining the pile on. I consider the charge that I lead the cheers for the red team slanderous. Thanks helping make my point. I do note that you and others said the blue team can do wrong. I feel this is a positive step in the right direction.

I have registered, caucused, voted, supported the drive for single payer in my home state with cash, sent e-mails to senators and congresscritters on matters regarding transportation and the environment. For all of it's ineffectiveness I am still on the MoveOn.mailing list and signing petitions when they fall within the realm of windmills I tilt at.

I'm not afraid to leave the herd and criticize when I think the criticism is warranted.

I'm proud enough.

Good day,

You take umbrage at the notion that you are just a mindless partisan automaton. At being lumped together with the usual suspects.

Fair enough. I don't view you that way.

And yet you start THIS thread based upon the presumption that anyone on the left is, perforce, part of a 'bilge narrative' chorus.

Tell me again how proud you are...
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

enough

You take umbrage at the notion that you are just a mindless partisan automaton. At being lumped together with the usual suspects.

And yet you start THIS thread based upon the presumption that anyone on the left is, perforce, part of a 'bilge narrative' chorus.

That's about the size of it.

I have to agree that the left here can sometimes "excuse" a Dem. The right here will always "excuse" a Rep, but 2 wrongs don't make a right.

Separate from that: Legally, prosecutors have to prove that Menendez actually did something (a vote, legislation, etc.) as a result of the favors/cash. Making a call saying "Hey - go easy on him" or the like does not meet the criteria.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Exactly.
    Rattling the teacups.

I consider the charge that I lead the cheers for the red team slanderous.
    I consider your cynicism to be the corrosive of choice of the likes of Bannon, Hannity and Limbaugh.

Lambasting Menendez?

Fine. Have at it.

Lambasting every Democrat on the grounds you laid out?

Not a healthy stance.

Smacks of cynicism and ignorance, combined with a blinkered condemnation of the party of Hillary.
    Rattling the teacups.

I read the whole thread this morning before signing on, appropriate response coming.

Hope you're proud.

Oz, part of the narrative comes from statements like this one, in which a position is put forth condescendingly.

Certainly, Repubs since Nixon have blundered. But they also have accomplished many good things-- creation of EPA, fall of communism, appointment of a first black woman as sec of state ( Condi Rice)--and without even trying hard to make a list, I can refute your dismissive and absolutist statement.

But carry on.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.