Thread: Hurricane haulout tips.

Default Hurricane haulout tips.

I've got Catnapper (16' Fenwick Williams Catboat) stored in a boatyard in Beaufort SC. It's 1/2 mile from any water and 20' above the high tide line. Pretty protected location. Tied down to the trailer and covered with a tarp.
    Figure aside from hauling her back to Atlanta that's about all I can do.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Default Re: Hurricane haulout tips.

ROAD TRIP!

and you better leave at least 2 hours ago

simple advice from one whose toys left Port Aransas about 33 hours b4 Harvey landed

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

Wish it was an option. I've gotta fly a 4 day trip starting today.

When we lived in Savannah and one of the hurricanes barreled through felling swaths of trees I'd hauled our 19' motorboat on its trailer and taken it with us to our hotel inland. A tree was hit by lightning and crashed into the empty parking slot right next to the car and boat. Luck and planning help, but in the end only get you so far. Best of it to all in Irma's path. And then there may be another coming along behind?

My brother's place in the Turks and Caicos is barely two feet above sea level... and in the eastern quadrant or Irma's approach.
    "... and the great shroud of the sea rolled on as it rolled five thousand years ago."

It's a giant pair of dice my friend. When Hurricane Frederic hit Mobile I lived in an apartment complex and a friend told me I could bring my Windmill over to his house. He and his brother each had 470's and he tied all three boat's trailers to his fence (they were all strapped down on their trailers). After the storm I had to go to Pell City, Alabama to a districts and went over to his house to get my boat and mine and his brother's boats were just fine, exactly where we left them. A couple of feet away my friend's boat was completely upside down, still on the trailer, just upside down laying on the deck with the trailer wheels facing the sky.

You just can never tell with a storm.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

With the winds they are reporting, I'd sure phone somebody and ask them to tie the trailer down to the ground like they do with airplanes on the ground. I have a hard time imagining much of anything that isn't lashed down to the ground sitting still in 150 MPH winds.

I had a new 26' cutter in Noank, CT in '85. when Gloria roared up the coast. I was on vacation and ready to start a cruise the next day. How bad can a hurricane be in CT? I was about to find out. My plans to stay at the dock changed early that AM when it became apparent that we were going to get a direct hit. I had stripped her to bare poles and as soon as the marina crew arrived I talked one of them to help reposition her to the far side of the mooring field, the only place available. We had a wild toad dingy ride back to beach as the winds were already getting stinky. After the storm I was amazed to see her still afloat and where I left her. However the rest of mooring field and marina were a disaster. The entire mooring field had dragged and were stacked liked pancakes on the seawall. My dock had been lifted over the pilings and deposited on the inner seawall. A bit of luck and being there saved the boat. We did have our cruise, although it was tainted knowing that many others would not be cruising for a long time.
    Steve B
    TraditionalSmallCraftAssociation
    DowneastTSCA.org

TraditionalSmallCraft.com
    RIVUS 16' Melonseed

"If a man must be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." E. B. White

A few inches of water made it to the yard, but that was it. Catnapper is safe.
    Looks like Maria will not be a threat.

As far as we can tell my brother's seafront place in the Turks and Caicos is pretty much a goner except for the stone walls. Two feet of muck in all the buildings and cisterns, windows blown out, roofs damaged. It's been thirty years of fun for them building the place bit by bit, year by year with friends and family adding their quirky bits and constructions but it may well be the end. They are in their seventies and getting materials, new appliances, housewares, beds, etc., etc. to the tiny island by ferry isn't really in the cards. So much needs to be done for the year round population first by general agreement, before ex-pats and off-islands owners get to their needs. What Jim and June decide to do with the place otherwise is some time off, for the future to reveal.
    "... and the great shroud of the sea rolled on as it rolled five thousand years ago."