11 21.15%
  • Atheist

22 42.31%
  • None of the above

8 15.38%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Poll, who is religious?

Default A Poll, who is religious?

There are currently three threads up discussing some aspect of religion, probably Christian religion, but possibly not.
    So I thought a poll might be interesting.
    Do you believe in a god.
    Do you follow one of the religions that is not based on a deity,
    Agnostic
    Atheist
    None of the above?
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Default Re: A Poll, who is reliious?

I have reli's, does that mean I am reliios?

It is very late.

At age 9 I had a profound human interaction which caused me to pass from Pre-Vat, nun school Catholic to agnostic. Took me a while to come across the term, agnostic which described the status I took on at that young age.
    Study Peace

Nonsense, it's 9.30 am and it's raining.

I figure a casual reader probably knows my thoughts...
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Default Re: A Poll, who is relgiious?

">

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    There are currently three threads up discussing some aspect of religion, probably Christian religion, but possibly not.
    So I thought a poll might be interesting.
    Do you believe in a god.
    Do you follow one of the religions that is not based on a deity,
    Agnostic
    Atheist
    None of the above?
    No, not the same as others.

Agnostic...that's me!

I do , however believe, that there is much more we need to understand, about everything.

I just don't know.
    PaulF

Wait, they let you have guns AND bibles in Canada? This changes everything.

Well, mostly rifles and shotguns. We can't buy into the Glock of the Month Club.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Nick, my friend, you ask a poling question by having people select questions. My head hurts!

I think I'm agnostic but I'm not sure.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

^ Maybe you just have a hard time committing!

First choice is worded so I can't go with it. "Do you believe in a god" doesn't work for me.
    "Do you believe in God" would get a yes answer.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

By God I don't mean an old guy in the sky.... By God, I think of an 11 dimensional manifold of fields. The manifestation of the original mathematical equation. Which means I can only offer up prayers of thanksgiving.
    "... the door was ajar, and the game was afoot." Lawrence Block

So far a whopping 10% of us (you) are believers. That's encouraging.

I could also say I follow one of the religions that isn't necessarily based on a deity (Unitarian-Universalist) but the poll only lets you pick one.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

My progressive mother raised me in the Unitarian church in Edmonds. The now-famous Robert Fulghum was Minister. It was a group of outdoorsy, smart, amazing, artistic, spiritual people, looking to build community in the early 70's, talking politics and world issues with groups of children in "Sunday School." We Summer-camped in Seabeck, grilling salmon on the beach and climbing the trees for apples.

Though many decades past now, I still think of those good people often, most of them probably gone now.

What do you think of those good people's politics?

I'm an atheist when it comes to the God depicted in the Bible. I'm agnostic in that I cannot categorically deny the possibility of something that we might appropriately describe as "God" existing, but have thus far seen no evidence to support the existence of such a being. I am, however, open to being convinced otherwise.

Also everything depends on how one defines "God". If you define it as Spinoza did - "all that exists" - then it is illogical to deny its existence since existence exists. My quibble with that is whether the term "God" is an appropriate term for all that exists.

So so try to fit THAT into your five options, Mr. Pollmeister! ;-)

What's so funny about peace love & understanding?

At age 6 my folks used to drop me off at Sunday school then come back and pick me up an hour later when it was over. I was in my teens before I figured that one out.

One day, Church Lady was telling us kids about Moses - "Children, today we're going to learn about Moses and the Ark. Children, can you believe that Moses was over six HUNDRED years old?"

Lady, my grandmother is 70 and can't feed herself. No WAY did that guy build a boat and collect all those animals at 600.

[Raises hand, number one finger up] "Yes John, you're excused, the boy's room is out the door, to the left and down the walkway."

Out the door, to the right, I'm outta here.

My brief flirtations with religion(s) since has been similar.
    "Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Alice

Tao
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

I believe in planting seeds. After that is madness.

When the nuns told me when I was a kid that Jesus walked on water, I said, was it winter? Why, no, said the nun, why? Because unless the water was frozen, he couldn't do it. You have to take it on faith, she said. I'm outta here, I said.

That was it for me.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

What do I know, I'm old.
    Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    First choice is worded so I can't go with it. "Do you believe in a god" doesn't work for me.
    There have been about 2900 gods recorded through time. Hindus believe in a pantheon of gods. The question might not work for you, but was written to be inclusive rather than exclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    I could also say I follow one of the religions that isn't necessarily based on a deity (Unitarian-Universalist) but the poll only lets you pick one.
    Poll choice 2?

Quote Originally Posted by BrianY View Post
    I'm an atheist when it comes to the God depicted in the Bible. I'm agnostic in that I cannot categorically deny the possibility of something that we might appropriately describe as "God" existing, but have thus far seen no evidence to support the existence of such a being. I am, however, open to being convinced otherwise.

Also everything depends on how one defines "God". If you define it as Spinoza did - "all that exists" - then it is illogical to deny its existence since existence exists. My quibble with that is whether the term "God" is an appropriate term for all that exists.

So so try to fit THAT into your five options, Mr. Pollmeister! ;-)
    None of the above

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Me too.

semantics

Default Re: A Poll, who is religious?

I have to say that I think about the subject a lot. But first, I don't believe that churches are an essential part of religion. Some do good, but way too many are plain just preying on peoples fears and insecurities to make money for the few who run the establishment. Many of them are full of hate for anyone even slightly different to themselves, and as an example a darker skin is such a tiny difference. I do think that there are very good people in our world who dont go to church, and many of those who do are no better for it.
    I also cant bring myself to believe in a god that sets traps for its creations then punishes them severely for their having fallen into those traps, I especially cant believe in a god that allows some of the awful things that go on in our world. Children with cancer, mothers dying in childbirth, there are so many things that an intelligent and merciful god would not allow.

But I'd like to think that there is some purpose to all this, some reason for our being, a goal that we're all contributing to. I've not found any sign of that, but it would be a comfort to me as I age if I were to find such.

I once established a new religion, it sounds strange I know, but my creed was that we can be likened to the worms in a garden, essential to the well being of the garden but unaware of the manner of our contribution. Sometimes the garden gets weeded, much disturbance and unsettling, sometimes it gets dug over and some worms are cut in two, all of which is essential to the well being of the garden. Still, the worms, so necessary are unaware of their place, and unaware of the function, the goal, of what the garden produces. I called it, "The Church of God the Gardener". Put it on my census form. When the stats came out, there I was, alone.
    I'm thinking up another one for the next census.

An aside from the above.
    I had a family of Jehovas Witlesses ( note the deliberate malapropism) come to the door. I respectfully told them that I was not interested and please put me in their little black book as not to be called on again. Next weekend, there they were again, Father, Mother and a daughter of about 9 or 10, all dressed up very nicely but strangely old fashioned like a Norman Rockwell painting. I was firmer this time, as in, please go and dont come back up that driveway as I'll be very annoyed if I see you again.
    Next weekend, a beautiful warm spring morning, I'm around the back of the house digging the garden, naked apart from gumboots and very much enjoying the privacy, warmth and freedom. Bingo, there they were, they'd come through two gates, past a dog that was penned up and being honest was not the sort of dog you'd want to take a risk with, he was a neighbours hunting dog and definitely not a pet.
    Anyway, there they were, Father, Mother and Daughter standing on the edge of my garden plot, so I ignored them and carried on digging. After a remarkably long hesitation Father starts in on me for exposing myself in front of his wide and daughter! ??? Quick bit of thinking on my part, and I replied " But are we not made in the image of the lord our god? We should not hide the form of god in shame, we should rejoice, rejoice I say that we are made in the image of our father in heaven, "join me in worship ( I'm down on my knees, eyes and hands raised) join me gloriously naked, shed the clothing of sin and worship the form of god, do not I say, do not sully the form of god with clothing and on and on. About there I was thinking that actually, I quite like this religion, I might take it up. But my congregation was off around the corner of the house, into their car and away.
    I didnt see them again.

John Welsford
    Last edited by john welsford; 09-06-2017 at 07:14 AM.
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Poll choice 2?
    I picked 'agnostic' since that seemed the most accurate. 2&3 would have been closer.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by John of Phoenix View Post
    At age 6 my folks used to drop me off at Sunday school then come back and pick me up an hour later when it was over. I was in my teens before I figured that one out.

One day, Church Lady was telling us kids about Moses - "Children, today we're going to learn about Moses and the Ark. Children, can you believe that Moses was over six HUNDRED years old?"

Lady, my grandmother is 70 and can't feed herself. No WAY did that guy build a boat and collect all those animals at 600.

[Raises hand, number one finger up] "Yes John, you're excused, the boy's room is out the door, to the left and down the walkway."

Out the door, to the right, I'm outta here.

My brief flirtations with religion(s) since has been similar.
    Moses built the ark? Methinks either you or the Church Lady were confused...

Default Re: A Poll, who is religious?

Quote Originally Posted by john welsford View Post
    I have to say that I think about the subject a lot. But first, I don't believe that churches are an essential part of religion. Some do good, but way too many are plain just preying on peoples fears and insecurities to make money for the few who run the establishment. Many of them are full of hate for anyone even slightly different to themselves, and as an example a darker skin is such a tiny difference. I do think that there are very good people in our world who dont go to church, and many of those who do are no better for it.
    I also cant bring myself to believe in a god that sets traps for its creations then punishes them severely for their having fallen into those traps, I especially cant believe in a god that allows some of the awful things that go on in our world. Children with cancer, mothers dying in childbirth, there are so many things that an intelligent and merciful god would not allow.

But I'd like to think that there is some purpose to all this, some reason for our being, a goal that we're all contributing to. I've not found any sign of that, but it would be a comfort to me as I age if I were to find such.

I once established a new religion, it sounds strange I know, but my creed was that we can be likened to the worms in a garden, essential to the well being of the garden but unaware of the manner of our contribution. Sometimes the garden gets weeded, much disturbance and unsettling, sometimes it gets dug over and some worms are cut in two, all of which is essential to the well being of the garden. Still, the worms, so necessary are unaware of their place, and unaware of the function, the goal, of what the garden produces. I called it, "The Church of God the Gardener". Put it on my census form. When the stats came out, there I was, alone.
    I'm thinking up another one for the next census.

An aside from the above.
    I had a family of Jehovas Witlesses ( note the deliberate malapropism) come to the door. I respectfully told them that I was not interested and please put me in their little black book as not to be called on again. Next weekend, there they were again, Father, Mother and a daughter of about 9 or 10, all dressed up very nicely but strangely old fashioned like a Norman Rockwell painting. I was firmer this time, as in, please go and dont come back up that driveway as I'll be very annoyed if I see you again.
    Next weekend, a beautiful warm spring morning, I'm around the back of the house digging the garden, naked apart from gumboots and very much enjoying the privacy, warmth and freedom. Bingo, there they were, they'd come through two gates, past a dog that was penned up and being honest was not the sort of dog you'd want to take a risk with, he was a neighbours hunting dog and definitely not a pet.
    Anyway, there they were, Father, Mother and Daughter standing on the edge of my garden plot, so I ignored them and carried on digging. After a remarkably long hesitation Father starts in on me for exposing myself in front of his wide and daughter! ??? Quick bit of thinking on my part, and I replied " But are we not made in the image of the lord our god? We should not hide the form of god in shame, we should rejoice, rejoice I say that we are made in the image of our father in heaven, "join me in worship ( I'm down on my knees, eyes and hands raised) join me gloriously naked, shed the clothing of sin and worship the form of god, do not I say, do not sully the form of god with clothing and on and on. About there I was thinking that actually, I quite like this religion, I might take it up. But my congregation was off around the corner of the house, into their car and away.
    I didnt see them again.

John Welsford
    They show up even here in the boonies of Vermont. But, you've given me the perfect solution! Next time they show up, my pants come off!
    I'd rather show people that I'm a Christian by my deeds and not by whacking them over the head with the Bible...

Quote Originally Posted by switters View Post
    Tao
    Spent a great deal of time with this in the 70's, prolly influenced much of my life.

On the God question, I have no doubt, but I have trouble believing in polls. :-)
    TZ
    "One can say with certainty that he is not with us at present. It is worth adding, however, that he himself did not always understand what time ought to be considered the present." - Laurus, Eugene Vodolazkin.