Thread: Boat Kit PhD Research - Call for Interviews at Wooden Boat Festival Port Townsend WA

Default Boat Kit PhD Research - Call for Interviews at Wooden Boat Festival Port Townsend WA

Hello,

My name is Steve Sacco and I have posted here before asking for volunteers to interview about wooden boat kits for my doctoral dissertation research. I am posting again because I will be attending the Wooden Boat Festival in Port Townsend, WA. If anyone reading this who has built a boat kit or knows someone who has who is attending the show and is interested in being interviewed, please let me know.

In case you have not seen my prior post, I am a graduate student working on a dissertation on wooden boat kits. I am doing this because kits bring together forms of manufacturing and craft that have not been closely examined before. I am interested in understanding how kits combine CNC manufacturing, CAD/CAM, plywood/epoxy, the Internet, modern logistics, and so on. None of this work is profit-making or market research.

I am especially interested in getting more volunteers from the kit builder side.

If you are interested, please respond to this thread or contact me directly at ssacco@luc.edu

Thanks in advance.

Best,
    Steve Sacco

Ph.D. Candidate
    Department of Sociology
    Loyola University Chicago

Default Re: Boat Kit PhD Research - Call for Interviews at Wooden Boat Festival Port Townsend

Have you contacted the main kit makers? I know that CLC has a forum for builders, not sure about Pygmy, which is based in Port Townsend, in fact at the boat show.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Default Re: Boat Kit PhD Research - Call for Interviews at Wooden Boat Festival Port Townsend

If you wish to interview (very?) amateur builders, try contacting festival organizers who have put on 'family boat building events'. Parents and children have gathered nationwide for decades now, to build small boats over the course of a weekend, most from pre-cut kits. Woodenboat Magazine has past calendars which may have contact info. And of course the Woodenboat School does the same with kit boats in their longer courses. All accessed via the WB Home page link at the bottom of this page.
    "... and the great shroud of the sea rolled on as it rolled five thousand years ago."

To Mr Ben Fuller, I have contacted CLC, I talked to John Harris at the Wooden Boat Show in Mystic but he was too busy to interview then. I have tried Pygmy, but not gotten through but will call on them in Port Townsend. I have also talked to Gardiner Pickering, Clint Chase, George Whisstock, Dudley Dix and others. I also have found a fair number of amateur builders as well. I haven't done the full tally but I must have some 20-odd people by now, but I am always eager to expand as well as to reduce the travel by meeting at festivals and shows. By the way, as a former student at the Williams Mystic program, I wanted to thank you for all your work with the small boat livery at Mystic.

To rbgarr, that is a *very* excellent idea and I will see what I can do at Port Townsend. I have also considered looking into visiting the Wooden Boat School and observing there. It all depends on where I am in the process by spring.

Thanks to you both!

Cheers,
    Steve

Thanks for the kind words.

Builders are not going to give you customer lists but they might put announcements on their web pages or send out a note to their email list. In the case of CLC posting something to their builders forum may get you more people. http://www.clcboats.com/forum/clcforum/
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."