Thread: Help identifying a Herreshoff

Default Help identifying a Herreshoff

I recently bought this Herreshoff daysailer and I haven't been able to identify its particular type. It looks like a Coquina except the prow is more curved, it has a foredeck, and it's a sloop rig. LOA 17'3" LWL 15'
    Any suggestions?

Default Re: Help identifying a Herreshoff

It looks like it could be a (larger) version of the Herreshoff Amphi-craft, at least by the hull planking, coaming and deck. Any more photos?: http://smallboatrestoration.blogspot...phi-craft.html
    Last edited by rbgarr; 09-03-2017 at 11:26 PM.
    "... and the great shroud of the sea rolled on as it rolled five thousand years ago."

Maynard Bray (of Brooklin, Maine) responded as follows when I contacted him with your photo. He's easily one of the premier authorities on all things Herreshoff. PM me back if you want to get together with him, or he may want your contact info.:

"Hi Dave,

I'm quite sure this is a Herreshoff, but need to see the interior layout to pin down which design it is. I'm not on the forum, but it appears the boat (or at least the owner) is in Castine. If you can find out where the boat is, I'd be happy to take a look at it."
    "... and the great shroud of the sea rolled on as it rolled five thousand years ago."

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    Maynard Bray (of Brooklin, Maine) responded as follows when I contacted him with your photo. He's easily one of the premier authorities on all things Herreshoff. PM me back if you want to get together with him, or he may want your contact info.:

"Hi Dave,

I'm quite sure this is a Herreshoff, but need to see the interior layout to pin down which design it is. I'm not on the forum, but it appears the boat (or at least the owner) is in Castine. If you can find out where the boat is, I'd be happy to take a look at it."
    I agree, it does look like a scaled-up Amphi-craft. I would be delighted if Maynard wants to come look at it. The boat and I are indeed in Castine. Please pass along my email: David.gardner@mma.edu