Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Simmons Sea Skiff 18 in Missouri

Default Re: Simmons Sea Skiff 18 in Missouri

Nice! I get it, I need to plan the layout.
    Simmons Sea Skiff build photos here:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/vxuQDZI0Dz7qjzAx1

You're more than welcome! I can guarantee you will really like this approach.... I call it my "Revolutionary HOT GLUE GUN METHOD". I know it gave me very good results. It gives you a chance to set gaps, spacings, etc, even tho you'll probably have to fine tune some areas for final fit. But it sure beats cardboard/paper/etc to try and do this!!! Each pattern can also be cut apart and wood pieces salvaged for next pattern. Helps reduce overall time/cost/material.
    General Rule Of Thumb = layout longest "main" sticks first. Work out from them. Might have to temporarily clamp or nail sticks in place. Large patterns will more than likely require stiffeners or it could break when being transported. Gap around hogback about 1/16"; gap at strakes - you'll have to hand fit a few times. Don't make fits so snug you end up fighting them....keep 'em loose and you'll love it. The sticks used for making patterns for cutting frames: I liked 10", with some shorter 4"ers.
    I love watching the photos of builds. Very exciting and I can always learn more. You're doing great. Keep up the excellent work.

I Made a little progress yesterday, after a trip to the Hardwood lumberyard for some red Oak and Sapele. I got the floors notched for the centerline cleat and a coat of epoxy on the floors and interior bottom.
    Attached Images Attached Images

What can I say? Very nice! I like! And here I thought I was the only crazy one. Glad you liked my idea. In my mind this center "cleat"/hogback thing does 2 things....gives a great landing for the floorboards; and I think it adds considerable stiffness right down the middle. It's like have two keels. Keep up the good work! I'm really impressed.

I like the Idea a lot, seems it will stiffen the Keel and the Floor boards, I toying with the Idea of using magnets to hold the floor boards in place.

I love it! Don't laugh....machinists (is this the right word?) use "on" "off" magnets for holding dials in place when using the drill press/etc. I think you're on to something here. Electromagnets could be just the ticket.....(again, is that the correct word?) Switched at the helm. I've tried my limited abilities and I'm just going with screws. Have to carry a screw driver as part of my boat mechanic's kit.

I built an 18 SSS 2 years ago. I used Carnell's plans and WB's Ellis Rowe's article. I was very disappointed on launch day to find that my 210 pounds seated off center to starboard as in the original and Rowe profoundly lowered starboard freeboard. I tore out everything and relocated the fuel tank enclosure, the steering console and storage box/seat pedestal down the center line. It seems to me that the narrow forebody of this hull is very sensitive to weight distribution or maybe I'm just too chunky! Hope this helps you.

Thanks George! that does help, and very timely. I am a bit heavier than you so I will rethink my positioning! I'm heading out to the shop right now to start laying things out.
    Do you have any pictures you could post or email me? I would be very interested to see ho you did yours.

She is shrink wrapped for winter and I don't have any photos. I had the 12 gallon tank used by Rowe so I turned that lengthwise down the keel and forward of the beam less 6". The tank, 72 lbs of gas, it's enclosure/seating and the 16"x21"x36" console/battery box (group 24) which is part of the rear face of the gas tank enclosure help balance me and a separate seat pedestal/tackle box located just aft of the console. I have plenty of room and my partner has the front of the boat to himself. The boat behaves beautifully, high and dry and stable in as rough as I will risk on Long Island Sound. There are some photos of center console SSSes on the SSS site. Trust them not Rowe.

Quote Originally Posted by georgec5 View Post
    She is shrink wrapped for winter and I don't have any photos. I had the 12 gallon tank used by Rowe so I turned that lengthwise down the keel and forward of the beam less 6". The tank, 72 lbs of gas, it's enclosure/seating and the 16"x21"x36" console/battery box (group 24) which is part of the rear face of the gas tank enclosure help balance me and a separate seat pedestal/tackle box located just aft of the console. I have plenty of room and my partner has the front of the boat to himself. The boat behaves beautifully, high and dry and stable in as rough as I will risk on Long Island Sound. There are some photos of center console SSSes on the SSS site. Trust them not Rowe.
    Good point,,, Sadly many builders have been guided by those articles to their own misfortunes.
    Happy trails to you.

Thanks for affirming Erster. And thanks for having advised me, when I was building mine, not to permanently secure the floors. It has worked out very well. NB figo.

I too used Rowe's article, but only using the pix and descriptions to help me figure out just how to conquer the questions I had about a particular phase of the build. Only 'off center' weight in my 22 is me on the starboard helm; but to help counteract that, I placed one of my two tanks on center, and the other just a little to the port. As to the 'sensitive' nature of the 18', I think I'd agree. The smaller the object, the easier it is to get things off kilter. With my 22, I've been somewhat concerned about that, but only when she's in the water will I know.

Well after three or so months of being away from the boat to work on my house I'm back at it. I have completed the 3rd plank on both sides and started fitting the floors. I have also mocked up a center console out of cardboard.
    Hopefully I'll get alot done over the rest of the summer.

welcome back! It's been too long. Very nice progress photos. I'm affirming GEORGEC5's decision to not permantly attach floorboards. Mine are attached using #10 x 1 1/2" bronze screws set with bronze 'finishing washers'. I like the look. And, as of yet, the little 'bump' they make don't seem to be a 'tripping' issue.

Issue of hanging strakes with hardly any clamps.....using "strake hangers", it's a snap. Here's how I hung mine: started out with lots of clothespin clamps + hangers, but on all subsequent strakes, only one clamp at transom, and one at stem; only hangers in between. Strakes hang true and snug to the strake lap.002.jpg003.jpg004.jpg005.jpg001.jpg

hangers thickness match thickness of strake...in this case, 1/2" for each hanger piece. I used some card stock to space hanger pieces where they lap so they would fit just snugly down over the prior strake. In my 22, six hangers was fine. 004.jpg Once strake sat overnight, I used #8 x 7/8" bronze screws to tie thru the lap joint every 3 or 4" along the straighter lap section aft, and 3" as bow curve began.

about all those clothespin clamps...they just sat gathering dust, so I gave them away.

I got a little more work done yesterday, The elevated casting / seating platforms in the rear. This was a lot of cutting and fitting even using templates!

oh, wow! takes me a little to get my breath back. Soooo nice. Keep on with the great work. Hope my postin the strake hangers were helpful. When you're ready to do your side frames (unless you're going frameless), check out my site on Simmons Sea Skiff "revolutionary method" for doing side frames.....it's more 'pattern making'. But I'm really liking your work!

Thanks! I will do that!

Well it's been awhile since I last posted and I have only made a little progress. I closed on the sale of my business at the end of July so that kept me very busy for four months. I am staying on for a few more monthe to make the transition easier but hope to retire soon. So here is what I have been working on, I've struggled with console style and placement and I think this is what I am going to go with.
    Center console 36" tall. I wanted to round the front corners so I milled these .

That's a neat joint with the round over. I'll have to keep that one in my back pocket.
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

retirement? best invention ever devised. Enjoy!!
    I like your humble approach to the radiused corners.... gotta love that! Nice work. And, the latest posted pix are examples of wonderful workmanship. She's turning out very well indeed. What did you use for your non-skid on the flooring?

Quote Originally Posted by simmons22 View Post
    retirement? best invention ever devised. Enjoy!!
    I like your humble approach to the radiused corners.... gotta love that! Nice work. And, the latest posted pix are examples of wonderful workmanship. She's turning out very well indeed. What did you use for your non-skid on the flooring?
    Thanks! I'm using Totalboat Totaltread on all the floors for non skid.

I'll be waiting to hear how you like it. My crushed walnut shells seem to be working fine. On my floorboards, they are held "in" place by epoxy - layed down unthickened epoxy, then sprinkled the shells into it; floorboards are simply coated in two coats of epoxy, no paint. However, on the bow and forward washboards, I painted on two nice coats of finish paint, sprinkled on the shells, then painted on top of then after letting the previous coat dry. Not sure if that's good enough though. I find occasional loose shell pieces here and there, especially if I've been turning/twisting my feet as I come and go. I may have to rethink that 'adhesion' concept for those areas. Perhaps, sanding off the shells and roughing the finish paint, then a layer of unthickened epoxy, then shells, then cover with finish paint....might be a better more permanent method.
    By the way, just discovered your "photo album"! I finally clicked on the https spot at bottom of one of your threads and bingo! there was a nice goldmine of wonderful build photos! Love looking at build photos! Keep on truckin.