Thread: Building a Nutshell 9'6" in Paso Robles California

Default Building a Nutshell 9'6" in Paso Robles California

Here's a thread to show my Nutshell Pram (9'6") build in Paso Robles, CA. I started in the spring with a garage/shop clean out and build of a couple of "Manning Benches with anvils" and a couple of sawhorses to support the strong back and molds. Comments and feedback warmly welcomed! This is my "practice project" to get some experience before I jump into a Somes Sound 12 1/2 project (glued lapstrake version of Joel White's Haven 12 1/2). As they say, "Experience is that thing you get right after you need it the most"!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PasoRoblesSailor; 08-28-2020 at 10:17 AM.

Default Re: Building a Nutshell 9'6" in Paso Robles California

Here's a link to a bunch of photos of the build so far. As of late August 2020 (now) I have the hull finished, three coast of epoxy sanded, faired and a couple coats of epoxy primer. I'm ready to flip the boat and start inside. Before we flip her I'll fit the keel. Hope this helps any Nutshell builders! Comments, Questions, Criticisms, and/or Complaints are welcome!

Try the link below - had issues with placing the link here...let me know if you can see more than one photo. Thanks
    Last edited by PasoRoblesSailor; 08-25-2020 at 01:38 PM.

Welcome! That's a good warm-up project.
    I'm no computer wiz, but I only see one picture (transom and stem) when I open that link.
    The Somes will be quite a leap, but my first real build after a plywood kayak was a full keeled 20' sailboat with steam bent ribs.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Try this:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qbG6UXPN7X3hMyz37

I've sent the link to others outside forum and it works to see the whole album, but for some reason it only drops to one photo???? scratching my head! There are about 250 photos on this album!

Very nice job. From what I'm seeing of the boat, your shop and your tools, the Somes boat will be in good hands.
    I and everyone else here will be envious of your plane collection!
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Thanks - I never miss a yard sale! In fact last year we were in the process of moving up near Port Townsend, WA - (that didn't end up working) but I did a MASSIVE liquidation of old stuffs.....like a couple thousand board feet of old white oak....and about 100 old planes (went to a guy who as an old time collector for about 4 bucks a piece!). Anyway - I always have in mind that I'm just hanging on this stuff for the next guy that comes to my estate sale....and I get to use it in the meantime. I don't think I've ever bought a "new" tool!!! haha

I second Rich's comments!

Looks like you're well on your way. Do you plan for a sailing rig? I built the smaller Nutshell 30+ years ago and it still gives pleasure, both rowing and sailing.
    - Anything you can't have fun with is not worth taking seriously.

We pulled the finished hull off of the mold, took down the mold frames and set her right-side-up on the ladder frame. Now to clean up the inside, prime, paint and start to finish it out. The grey is Total Boat 2-part high build primer (2 coats, over 3 coats of west system epoxy). Check out the new photos.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qbG6UXPN7X3hMyz37

Great work Charlie

The boat looks great, and the build well supported by your great "shop" layout. Seems you can park a car in there as well, I don't know if that is fair or not....

Thank you for sharing the wonderful photos, motivation for us to order plans for the 7' 7" version.
    Cheers
    Kent and Skipper
    Small Boat Restoration blog