Thread: Meade Gougeon has crossed the bar

Default Meade Gougeon has crossed the bar

An Icon of the sailing world from iceboats to the Everglades Challenge, a member of the Sailing Hall of Fame.

Meade and his brothers founded and developed West Epoxy, building it into a major force in boat building.

I am grateful for the time we had together, his joy ofsailing, friendship and willingness to share knowledge is a gift I will cherish.

Default Re: Meade Gougeon has crossed the bar

A giant of the boating world. Will be missed but his legacy will live on.

RIP Meade
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

A loss.

He lived a very full life, but that does not make his passing less of a loss to those he left behind. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

So sorry to hear of Meade's passing. He and his brother were definitely pioneers of boat building in epoxy and will be missed greatly. Here's Meade in the black vest with his boat at this year's Everglades Challenge inspection day. I believe he is talking with the Chief of Watertribe in this photo.

Quote Originally Posted by kenjamin View Post
    So sorry to hear of Meade's passing. He and his brother were definitely pioneers of boat building in epoxy and will be missed greatly. Here's Meade in the black vest with his boat at this year's Everglades Challenge inspection day. I believe he is talking with the Chief of Watertribe in this photo.

I'm sad to hear of his passing as well, but equally glad that he was able to do what he loved to do for so long - as seen in this photo.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

So sorry to hear this. I had a beer with him next to a campfire at a sailing canoe outing at Killbear Provincial Park a few years ago. What a wealth of information!
    "Wherever there is a channel for water, there is a road for the canoe. " - Thoreau

For a man who has contributed so much to our boating world, this is a great loss to us all!
    What was his age? It seems the good die too young!
    Fair Winds,
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    For a man who has contributed so much to our boating world, this is a great loss to us all!
    What was his age? It seems the good die too young!
    Fair Winds,
    Jay
    He was born in 1938. I read somewhere that he had been afflicted with melanoma for several years.

Meade Obituary

http://www.mlive.com/news/bay-city/index.ssf/2017/08/meade_gougeon_michigan_sailing.html

We should all be so lucky to have such love surround in our final days.

Sad to hear it. Meade was a class act, and always willing to talk (and listen) to less experienced folks (which is most of us).

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

I don't think that there would be half as much amateur boatbuilding as there is today without the products and effort of the Gougeon Brothers.
    We owe a great deal to them.

RIP.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

A real loss, and I think his influence is quite a bit greater than the obituary suggests. It was he and his brother who first asked why sailboats couldn't be built to move like the iceboats they were familiar with, and went on to design and build some of the most efficient and innovative multihulls of their time. I do believe they opened the way to the thinking that hastened the development of today's state of the art high-speed cats and tris.
    -Dave

Condolences to Meades family.
    Can we count the number of amatuer built boats that wouldn't have been built without Meade and Jan's epoxy revolution.
    Can we count the skill and inventiveness so many people gained from the introduction of epoxy to the masses via Meade and Jan.
    Can we count the practical structures, musical instruments, art work, furniture, that wouldn't have happened without W.E.S.T. system resin.
    Can we count the millions of hours of quiet pleasure and satisfaction that was brought to fruition because of the advent of Meade and Jans skill, invention and freely given advice.
    Vale Meade.