Thread: Best Jobsite Prank

Default Best Jobsite Prank

Rummy posted a jobsite prank on the Charlottesville Shooter thread, and it got me thinking.

I have never done much more than nail a newbie's tool belt to the floor, while he wasn't looking. He was standing waist deep in a bathroom floor re-do.

My brother Charlie is a known joker, however, and the greenhorns quickly came to understand that you don't mess with Charlie.

They sent him a helper one day who was on his Summer break from high school, and as it got close to lunch, the newbie began to get anxious about food.This kid needs McDonald's, and so he starts agitating for leaving 15 minutes early so he can hit the drive thru.

Charlie told him to take that 15 minutes and start pulling the nails out of the scrap beadboard in the pile, so they can rework the trim somewhere, and the kid says 'The heck with that, I'm going to lunch!'

Now, Charlie is Old School, and when he hits lunchtime he sits down, eats a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and a banana and washes it all down with a cup of strong, black coffee.

Done in 10 minutes.

Now he's got 20 minutes to exact his revenge.

He grabbed up the 2 1/2" finish nailer, put a fresh stick in the magazine, and nailed that scrap pile together.

Kid didn't ever give him any lip again.

Default Re: Best Jobsite Prank

My buddy once welded two cars together, rear bumper to bumper.

I once glued someone's drafting triangle to the table.

Peace,
    Robert

I witnessed (and appreciated) , but did not participate an event where a welder was standing on a steel deck welding on something. He had steel heel plates on his work boots. His buddy came up behind him - unheard in the noisy environment - and casually tack-welded his friend's boots to the deck.

I think one of my greatest moment was when my brother & I were CATV linesman. The manager of the system we were building was a jerk. There were four poles in the back of the office where he parked his truck. We rigged steel guys between the four corners of his truck and the poles and jacked it up off the ground about two feet, and went to lunch.
    Last edited by mmd; 08-28-2017 at 01:17 PM.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

i used to booby trap a guy at works desk when he'd leave early. take some rubber bands and paper clips, fasten up a nice release with the paper clip. then come in early so i could be there when he opened up the wrong drawer. it was all fun and games until one morning when i came in and he was already here... he said "dude, the boss came in here this morning to find something and HE caught that trap you left". the boss wasn't thrilled with me for a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    Rummy posted a jobsite prank on the Charlottesville Shooter thread, and it got me thinking.
    Reposted here for ease of reading :

Quote Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate View Post
    I recall being on a muddy building site when the Architect and other consultants were was walking beside a 4 story building.

There was a shout of "LOOK OUT" from the flat roof.

A 8'0" x 4'0" sheet was coming down from the roof.

Architect and other consultants scattered and dived, . . . muddy site.

The 8'0" x 4'0" sheet then wafted down like a leaf.

It was an 8'0" x 4'0" sheet of expanded polystyrene foam board insulation.

Naturally there was nobody remaining on the roof.

A good laugh was had by the workers, but not by the consultants.
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

Was a new hire flight engineer on the 727. One of the FE's many tasks was to keep the fuel load properly balanced between the 3 tanks.
    I went out to use the head. While I was gone the Captain and Copilot hit the test button driving the guages to 0. When the needles got the a really bad reading they pulled the circuit breaker on the apppropriate tank freezing the guage.
    I got back in my seat a few minutes later. My next panel scan took a year or 2 off my life!

Things were a bit "looser" back in 1991.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Back in the day, in the bike shop, there was a magnificent prank we used to pull. It requires a metal frame, preferably steel.

Remove the seat post and reach into the seat tube and find the vent hole for the top tube. Now, take a ball bearing, the largest that will fit the hole, and slather it with grease, then place it in the hole.

Oh, the grease will hold the bearing in place for a few bumps, and then there will be a persistent rattling sound, sort of like a ping-ping-ping...

Peace,
    Robert

Also, when I raced bikes, it used to be fun to ride up behind a guy and pull the quick-release lever on the seat post (what? I'm an old mountain bike racer, okay?), causing the seat to drop. It worked best on climbs. Hehe.

Worked at the College I went to for a professor one summer. Most of our work was in the engineering lab and we got sucked into doing the shipping/receiving for the building.

The materials science professor had pounded into our skulls the wonders of styrofoam during our time in his class. Ad nauseum.

Being that we were the receiving side of things we got a LOT of packing peanuts. We saved them in garbage bags, filling a space beneath unused stairs in the back of the building. Once we had enough, we went up to the hallway outside the office of the prof teaching materials science after hours with a shop vac (set on exhaust), an extra-long hose and all the bags of packing peanuts. We poked the hose through the dropped ceiling and over the wall into the office and proceeded to fill the office floor-to-ceiling with packing peanuts. It took us about two hours.

The next week, when he'd returned from a vacation to start prep for the Fall, two of our co-conspirators were waiting around the corner as he arrived and opened the door. As the door opened, the peanuts flowed out into the hallway leaving him standing nearly knee-deep in the things and just gawking at his office.

Mind you, he shared the office with another professor who, due to the effects of static electricity, would keep finding packing peanuts on his back, and attached to hidden surfaces - he was not amused.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

We have embroidered name tags on our uniform shirts. One day "Lt Demeter" became "Lt Demented" took her about a month to notice.
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

Autocorrect can be fun, too...

One of my co-workers was a hunt-and-peck typist and rarely looked at his monitor. We replaced his name "John Smith" with "John, (Insert offensive phrase here - no I'm not looking for a banning...), Smith" in Microsoft Word's Autocorrect function.

Took him months to notice, but all of his correspondence went out "autocorrected".
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

ETA - also popped the "Q" and "W" keys off another co-worker's keyboard and reversed them. She kept asking IT for a new keyboard because hers was "broken".
    -William A. Ward

I worked at a place where about five guys that hung out at break together were always playing pranks on each other. One day, one of the guys came to work and parked a brand new big fancy pickup out front. The guy was so jacked about his new ride he couldn't stop talking about it. So someone, not me, went out and poured a whole brand new quart of transmission fluid under the guy's new truck, and then innocently and helpfully pointed out the fresh puddle to the new truck owner. Who went through all sorts of changes on the spot, grief, denial, anger, and then went in and called the dealer for a tow.

I hate practical jokes. Funny is one thing but damage and hurt are another.

One of those guys told me that back in the day, when the only mail was snail, he found himself in a vitriolic feud with another co-worker, so to 'get even' he started collecting business reply cards from every periodical he could find. Dentists offices and such. Then when he had a good batch, he filled them all out with the other guy's name and address at work, and sent them all in, in batches every few days for a few weeks.

Similarly, and Ioved this when I heard it. In Taipei in the early seventies, a buddy got into a stink with a 'buy-sell man.' These guys were allowed by local ordinance and the SOFA to deal in appliances such as air conditioners and refrigerators that GIs bought in the base exchange, which they could then legally sell as soon as they had their orders to go back to the world. Otherwise it was blackmarketing and illegal. So this one obnoxious and ambitious buy-sell man got in my friend's face over some deal, and the friend called off the deal. That po'd the buy-sell man enough that he started showing up to harrass my friend's wife and kids at home while he was at work.

My friend had a clearance and we worked in the secure compound together. Since our mission was monitoring the communist People's Republic of China, the powers that be arranged for us to have access at work to the PRC's propoganda, notably their main periodical, China Now, wherein they showcased the achievements of the commnists. The Taiwanese then, were under martial law, technically still at war with the communists, and the main theme was oppose the communists and one day retake the mainland. They were very serious about it all. So my friend figured out how to get a subscription to China Now from a bookstore in Hong Kong and had it delivered to the buy-sell man's address along with a copy of Mao's LIttle Red Book. When his neighbors saw it and word got around, the man was forced to move and take his business to a new neighborhood or be pilloried for being a communist.

I spread Vaseline into the mouthpiece holes of my boss's office phone at the boatyard. (This was before the days of, " can you hear me now?") Lasted half a day. When he called the phone company--from another phone--I fessed up.

He wasn't impressed with my honesty.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    One of my co-workers was a hunt-and-peck typist and rarely looked at his monitor. We replaced his name "John Smith" with "John, (Insert offensive phrase here - no I'm not looking for a banning...), Smith" in Microsoft Word's Autocorrect function.
    Spellchecker dictionary edits can be great fun. Also, if you have a cow-orker who relies heavily upon desktop icons, it can be very amusing to take a desktop screenshot, set it as the wallpaper, and hide the real icons...

What are you doing about it?

I did do one prank, back in Windows 3 days. I 'helped' a friend with his computer, getting him up to speed on the new OS. While he was gone after a cup of joe, I went in and changed the color on all of the elements of his desktop to red, and then left it. The screen was completely red. No detail was visible, but the machine was booted up and running like normal. I had memorized the keystrokes to get in and out of the required dialog boxes to reset it enough to see what was what.

Then, sometime later, I pulled the same trick on a computer on display at the local big box store. But then I couldn't remember how to do the fix, so I just left it.

In one office I worked we were all 2-up in the cubicles, back to back. A friend of mine went over to another cubicle and swapped the two phone lines. So for a couple of days each time one of their phones rang you'd hear "No, this is Rich not Steve, but it just so happens Steve is right here. I'll put him on."

Dave
    Sooty Tern Build Thread: Another Tern in the Works!
    Sooty Tern Blog: http://xflow7.wordpress.com

It wasn't me that did it but I remember when a computer first landed on a colleagues desk and he was none too happy about having to learn how to use it.After a break one day he returned to his desk to find that the language had been switched.For obvious reasons,the help menu in Serbo-Croat wasn't much help to him.

There was a supervisor in the office who had an extreme case of OCD, lining up his pencils on the desk, carefully stacking and organizing papers, etc. When he went out to lunch, a few stalwarts went into his office and carefully rearranged everything on his desk so that it was exactly the same, but in a mirror image, with pencils on the left instead of the right, etc. He was last seen muttering to himself, with a strange look in his eyes.

Lunch time at the TV repair shop. Me, hot glue gun, tools on bench. You can figure it out.
    Ratus ratus bilgeous snipeous!

You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    There was a supervisor in the office who had an extreme case of OCD, lining up his pencils on the desk, carefully stacking and organizing papers, etc. When he went out to lunch, a few stalwarts went into his office and carefully rearranged everything on his desk so that it was exactly the same, but in a mirror image, with pencils on the left instead of the right, etc. He was last seen muttering to himself, with a strange look in his eyes.
    It would be fun to replace the desktop of someone like that with a quadrilateral featuring no right angles.

What are you doing about it?

Here's my favorite personal experience. I dint do it... but I certainly applauded and snickered --

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...52#post3658752
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Back in the old days of FAX machines we used to get faxes from scam companies usually in dark block lettering. I would print out a New York (might be used in other places ) expletive F@#K YOU in big black block letters tapped to with two other black sheets of paper. I dial the offending FAX machine and feed the first paper through and then tape it to the last page to make a continuous loop.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Sorry, I just feel like someone has to point out that this is all about bullying at best, and seriously dangerous at worst. Hate to spoil the party but there it is.

One of the fellows in the design office took a couple weeks' vacation. Another guy found an old dead keyboard and substituted it for the absentee's keyboard. Then he sprinkled this liberally with chia seeds. Every day he diligently watered that keyboard, and by the time your man came back to work there was a lovely crop of grass growing up around the keys.

Two carpenters in a boatyard in Florida. One loved heavy metal music, the other country. Both had radios, which they would turn to their favorite stations and turn up to full volume to drown out the terrible trash the other guy's radio was blasting. One day Country got a new, louder radio, turned it up to eardrum exploding level, and left it like that when he went to lunch. When he came back, he found it sitting on the bandsaw table, neatly sawed in two.

Best,
    Chris
    "Where we would wish to reform we must not reproach." -Thomas Paine

My Father was the consummate practical jokester. That his old friends gave him a title, ‘Dirty’ Dalton, or just plain Dirty should suffice to give an idea of the lengths to which he would go for a good laugh. Why he survived to old age, given his endless and outrageous stunts will forever be a mystery to me.

The following, I believe, was the zenith of his mastery of the art of the practical joke. He worked for Raytheon, in the Waltham research group. There was an individual who liked to make use of his ‘Word-of-the-Day' calendar to the annoyance of all. As was not uncommon in such an operation, there was an in-house library. Dad went to the librarian to ask if he could put an invented word into the dictionary. ‘Melatinctious’ (spelling uncertain). She thought it utterly hysterical, thus, at the appropriate location within the Research Division’s unabridged Webster’s went, “Melatinctious: Adj, The sort of damned fool that would look up a word like this in the first place.”

When the party entered the library the call went out so that as he was head down, searching for, and then reading the definition, all the folks in the Research Division were surreptitiously watching…
    "Congress doesn't regulate Wall Street, Wall Street regulates Congress."

MAKE WAY! MAKE WAY! "I have heard of some kind of men that put quarrels purposely on others."

As a general rule, the better it felt when you said it, the more trouble it's going to get you into.

International Financial Conspirator, Collaborator, Gun Runner, Ace Philosopher-King and all-around smartie pants

i have been known to reach through a dog door from the inside and 'attack' the ankle of a new employee at my kennel when they are working in the outside of that kennel run

you should see them jump
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    i have been known to reach through a dog door from the inside and 'attack' the ankle of a new employee at my kennel when they are working in the outside of that kennel run

you should see them jump
    Oh, dude. I would KILL you.

After I changed my shorts, died laughing, and came back as a reanimated brain eating corpse being.

Peace,
    Robert

This should be a sticky for future reference