Thread: MASCF expeditions 2017

Default MASCF expeditions 2017

Just checked the info for this year's Mid-Atlantic Small Craft Festival in St. Michaels, Maryland. They've added a significant expedition voyage, from the museum all the way around Kent, Eastern Neck and Wye islands. That time of year, it could be a challenging course. There are two low bridges enroute, too, creating good filters for any bigger boats. Anyone planning on this one?

There will also be the usual overnight to Wye Island, and an optional trip all the way around Wye Island. Details here.
    -Dave

Default Re: MASCF expeditions 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    Just checked the info for this year's Mid-Atlantic Small Craft Festival in St. Michaels, Maryland. They've added a significant expedition voyage, from the museum all the way around Kent, Eastern Neck and Wye islands. That time of year, it could be a challenging course. There are two low bridges enroute, too, creating good filters for any bigger boats. Anyone planning on this one?

There will also be the usual overnight to Wye Island, and an optional trip all the way around Wye Island. Details here.
    They could always try this method…...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CInYj5P4evA

I'll be doing the loop around Wye Island. The loop around Kent is too far for my (too slow) boat for the time available unless I try to go all night.

Brian

The long course is a great one, but it is a 60 miler. Not horribly interesting going north up Kent Island but then you wind around a wildlife refuge, check the action out in the Kent Island narrows before you get up into the Wye River. Did it in a kayak as part of an Everglades Challenge some years back and got about 10 miles short of finishing by 8pm or so. Starting at the museum you may well be able to meet up with the rest of the folks at the Wye Island campsite about that time. But if in a sailing or row/ paddle sailing boat you will have to be able to drop your mast.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Vernon Langille, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity and a quiver of unamed 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

I would love to do the big loop, will have to watch the weather to see if conditions are favorable, was bummed that they were canceled last year.