Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A pathetic sight

Default A pathetic sight

An immaculately cleaned workshop. Every cabinet and shelf emptied, cleaned and vacuumed . Tools cleaned and returned to their proper places. Supplies sorted through, some tossed, the others rearranged on shelving. A truly pathetic sight. No boat under construction. No boat building projects going on. Moaning chair sitting there forlornly looking for boat building problems to mull over. A sad state of affairs, indeed...
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Default Re: A pathetic sight

I could change all that in an instant!
    Jay

I hear you, Rich. Any hints on what comes next?

Mine is in the same too-tidy condition. In the photo below, the building frame goes where the temporary table sits in the middle. While I have been deciding on boat #3, I spent quite awhile shifting benches and machines around so I would have that 12' benchtop to scarf and fit planks on. And installing a Harken hoist so the SOF Whitehall parks in the rafters directly above this shot.

[IMG]
    Too-tidy shop waiting for the next project.... by Dan Rask, on Flickr[/IMG]

Not quite visible on the left is the stack of 6mm and 12mm okoume ply, ready and waiting, along with the overhead racks, recently fortified with the best Western red cedar 2x I could find. - Dan

I'm sorry for you, Rich.

Solution: Show this posting to your wife. You will receive a project. But it probably won't be a boat.

Jeff

Rich, I can help you with your problem!
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

http://tinyurl.com/myboats

Rich,

Since you have no pre-concieved project, how about starting something new?
    Unfortunately, I have not been able to find any indication that plans are available.

http://sailingtexas.com/201701/smalabar17101.html

Change needed-but what next?

Quote Originally Posted by snaildrake View Post
    I hear you, Rich. Any hints on what comes next?

Mine is in the same too-tidy condition. In the photo below, the building frame goes where the temporary table sits in the middle. While I have been deciding on boat #3, I spent quite awhile shifting benches and machines around so I would have that 12' benchtop to scarf and fit planks on. And installing a Harken hoist so the SOF Whitehall parks in the rafters directly above this shot.

[IMG]
    Too-tidy shop waiting for the next project.... by Dan Rask, on Flickr[/IMG]

Not quite visible on the left is the stack of 6mm and 12mm okoume ply, ready and waiting, along with the overhead racks, recently fortified with the best Western red cedar 2x I could find. - Dan
    What comes next is dropping the stem on that road bike. Eternity in hell follows those who do not slam!

Alternatively, all you guys with clean workshops can come over to Australia and get mine in shape. I'll even let you restore a 28'er while you're here.

I've never had that problem

Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    What comes next is dropping the stem on that road bike. Eternity in hell follows those who do not slam!
    Ach, du Lieber, niemals! Spacers, man, and a big stem rise are all that keeps this decrepit spine on the bike. An '85 DeRosa wa the last time I rode 'slammed', as you say.

But we digress... -Dan

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    I'm sorry for you, Rich.

Solution: Show this posting to your wife. You will receive a project. But it probably won't be a boat.

Jeff
    That's what's got me worried...

I've dreamt of a neat and organized shop like yours. I've gotten as far as vacuumed and mostly picked up before a next project starts. So it probably won't happen in this lifetime. And I'd be a bit concerned about finding things if they were too put away.
    Steve B
    TraditionalSmallCraftAssociation
    DowneastTSCA.org

TraditionalSmallCraft.com
    RIVUS 16' Melonseed

"If a man must be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." E. B. White

I am actually working toward that state right now, clearing away misc nonsense so I can get down to bare bones so that when I sell my house I will have minimal amount of stuff to move.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

RESIST. FIGHT THE POWER.

It is indeed a pathetic sight. The same thing is true in the engineering and science world. If the lab is clean, nothing is happening. I am going to send you and e-mail shortly. I hope your address has not changed since 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by ahp View Post
    It is indeed a pathetic sight. The same thing is true in the engineering and science world. If the lab is clean, nothing is happening. I am going to send you and e-mail shortly. I hope your address has not changed since 2012.
    Same place. Or just PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    I am actually working toward that state right now, clearing away misc nonsense so I can get down to bare bones so that when I sell my house I will have minimal amount of stuff to move.
    It took me a year to totally clean out my house after living there for over thirty years. In this house for six years and trying to keep the clutter down.

The moaning chair is my next project. I bought it during me junior year of college 44 years ago. It was used and creaky back then and getting worse every year. Time to tighten her up.
    I'll need it because in a few weeks, after the boating season, I'll be bringing in my 20 year old 14' Devlin Cackler stitch-and-glue for some much needed updating. There's a few things with that project that will require time spent in that chair.

See, I wasn't kidding.
    Jay

There's a lot of stuff in there Jay, but it is actually pretty tidy, at least by my standards!
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Mine was never that tidy even before I moved in!
    Presently 2 boats awaiting paint and varnish, 2 centreboards and one casette rudder awaiting 2nd coat.
    Rocking horse still awaiting the new front legs to be fitted but I have finished adapting a jockey's saddle.
    A couple of half finished welding projects in the corner.
    A 1920's pond yacht awaiting stabilisation rather than restoration.
    1950's outboard waiting for its mounting bracket to be fixed.
    Various bits of machinery that actually do not have a 'home' in the shop but are wheeled around as needed.
    And the whole shop needing to be tidied .

OTOH a shop to Rich's standard is only Anne's dream, not mine……….

Respectfully, I do not see that as a pathetic sight. Rather, I think of that as I think of a fly leaf on a great book. You just have to turn the page...
    Heute ist so ein schöne Tag...

Respectfully, I do not see that as a pathetic sight. Rather, I think of that as I think of a fly leaf on a great book. You just have to turn the page...
    +1 . . . nice looking shop . . : )
    This is the first lesson ye should learn: There is so much good in the worst of us, and so much bad in the best of us, it doesn't behoove any of us to speak evil of the rest of us.
    E. Cayce

If you get bored, Rich, come on up and help me build my Atkin Russell R....

Please come and visit me for a week.

I will provide accommodation and all the rum you can drink.

The only thing you have to do is convert my garage to "A pathetic sight' like yours.
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

Jay: I recognize the Inca table saw, but where did you get the sliding table? Fantastic. Mine has the mortise attachment on that side.

Nice job mucking out your workshop. You just need to add a carpet ........

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    That's what's got me worried...
    Better get crackin' on a boat, then.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Frenchman's Cove, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada

Trade you an unfinished boat project for some of that nicely cleaned space and the bandsaw!

Quote Originally Posted by kpenokie View Post
    Jay: I recognize the Inca table saw, but where did you get the sliding table? Fantastic. Mine has the mortise attachment on that side.
    I bought that Inca Ten Inch saw second hand from Eagle Tools in Los Angeles. Jessy Barrigan, the owner was the Inca dealer for the US. So I was able to purchase the sliding table from him. Although Inca is no longer imported to the US, they are still in business. I believe some parts are still available from Eagle. I like this saw very much as it is extremely accurate.
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 08-28-2017 at 12:17 PM.

How about giving us a list of the boats you are considering?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    I bought that Inca Ten Inch saw second hand from Eagle Tools in Los Angeles. Jessy Barrigan, the owner was the Inca dealer for the US. So I was able to purchase the sliding table from him. Although Inca is no longer imported to the US, they are still in business. I believe some parts are still available from Eagle. I like this saw very much as it is extremely accurate.
    Jay
    Yes, Jesse has leads on all kinds of parts. There are also parts available from a place in Switzerland, but as you might guess, shipping is expensive.

They really are great tools. I need to start looking for that mortise table...
    Heute ist so ein schöne Tag...

A lesson learned: I've done a couple of lead pours this summer - one for the centerboard (~70 lbs.) and the other for the ballast keel (620 lbs.). Of course there was some lead machining required on each project. I tried to do the bulk of the centerboard lead removal with a hand plane followed by an RO sander with a vacuum attachment. It worked well. Despite leveling the ballast mold with sand on top of crushed rock it didn't maintain that level once the pour was complete. One end had about 1/4" more lead than needed. No worries as I had poured about 20 lbs. more than necessary. It was too much to remove with a hand plane so I opted to use a router. I put a large ply base on the router (~ 12" x 18") that rested on two ledgers clamped to each side of the keel. Those ledgers rose about an inch above the lead. My thinking was that the lead chips would be mostly captured between the ledgers and the router base and that was the case. In addition, I surrounded the ballast with construction paper including a "wall" that rose about 3 feet high. This latter bit was my big mistake. I should've had a floor to ceiling barrier to catch errant chips/shavings. I had lead scatter all over the shop. At least the lead shavings are shiny and are fairly easy to see. After sweeping at least 4 times and vacuuming 3 times it is pretty much removed, but I'll bet that small amounts will be lurking for years.

Here is my other fine mess of a workshop!
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by upchurchmr View Post
    How about giving us a list of the boats you are considering?
    I'm mulling over a strip planked sport fishing boat (Rangeley type) or a SOF Whitehall (except with the clear plastic as a skin to give that "invisible boat" look.
    But first, my dear wife mentioned that we need a new desk in the study, so that will be first followed by some much needed work done on my 20 year old 14' Devlin Cackler.

Alas, a clean shop cannot last forever. My wife's new desk is now taking shape. Maybe I'll throw in a centerboard case just to make it feel like I'm building a boat...