Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crandall Black Arrow Runabout Build thread

Default Re: Crandall Black Arrow Runabout Build thread

The yellow stripe and the blue were done in Photoshop just to see illustrate the position and see how it would look. From a strictly aesthetic standpoint, the idea of finishing the rails bright with a stainless edge appeals to me. I don't expect a torrent to come over the side, and I will have a windshield. As far as I'm concerned, there is no right or wrong here....just looking for some opinions to see if I am on track. At the moment I am just happy it looks as though I am going to be able to see this project through to the end.

Personally, I would prefer the spray rail to be lower than what you have shown. I like the varnished wood/stainless idea. If you are going to get spray coming on-board, it will not be from the front, so your windshield wioll be somewhat ineffective.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Thanks mmd. I haven't committed to anything yet, but am 99% on the rail being bright wood w/stainless. If nothing else, I can start measuring and templating the rails to match the curve of the hull.

The deck is caulked, sanded and sealed and should be ready for some varnish next week. I templated the spray rails, but still need to get off my duff and pick up wood for the spray rails. Shiny stuff was placed on the deck to get an idea of how it will look, but isn't fastened.

20200815_075608.jpg
    20200815_075546.jpg
    20200815_075535.jpg
    Last edited by Illinois Switzer; 08-15-2020 at 07:18 AM.

I received a call from from the Department of Natural Resources, saying they are sending a game warden out on Wednesday to inspect my boat before assigning a Hull Identification Number (HIN) which is a precursor to assigning a registration number and title.

I wasn't expecting a call for another month, so I decided to put on a quick coat of paint, so the boat at least looks a bit more presentable. I still have the tedious task of varnishing and wet sanding the deck, then block sanding the sides, followed by several more coats, then final rigging. I plan on spraying the final paint, but for now, a roll 'n tip base coat paint job will have to suffice.

I have a few quarts of marine varnish which should arrive this week. It's going to take some time to get the finish to where I like it, but from fifteen feet, it looks fine.
    20200816_121422.jpg
    20200816_121439.jpg

Hey IS,
    We've been following your build with interest and we can only comment that the Black Arrow is just beautiful; we love the aesthetics of the hull. Great build!

Stay safe, stay healthy and be extra careful with the sea trials.

J.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

That boat looks like soooo much fun!
    nice work.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Thanks J. and gypsie. A game warden from Virginia DNR is supposed to drop by tomorrow and inspect the hull and will hopefully give me my Hull Identification Number (HIN) so I can get the boat registration and title. The process to get the HIN has been fairly easy, and just required a form, photos of the boat from all sides, and copies of material receipts. COVID may have worked in my favor, since the process has taken about 2 1/2 weeks. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Edit: Just got a call that there was "an incident" and he can't make it. Hopefully not a drowning or accident investigation, though I suspect so.
    Last edited by Illinois Switzer; 08-19-2020 at 10:07 AM.

Ive been looking for vintage design like this one, and i really like it ! Good job !!
    "Little Bear" 1955 Fontana 18' - 1958 Atomic 4
    1960 Skippy 12C FeatherCraft - 1947 Mercury KD4 Rocket
    " Fela " 1985 Glen L15 - 1977 Johnson 15 hp
    2016 kayak Mill Creek 13

Thanks for the kind words. It's a bit tight, but it's been a fun build and a good learning experience. If it wasn't for the forum and the experience and examples of others, I'd never have completed it.

I laid down two more coats of varnish, and aside from needing a wet sanding with some 1500 grit and a cut and polish with some compound, I can now focus on the sides and transom. Edit: I put the boat out in the sun to firm up the varnish, and it's tightened up a lot.
    20200829_151126.jpg
    20200829_151159.jpg
    Last edited by Illinois Switzer; 08-29-2020 at 04:44 PM.

Looking good from 25 feet away, but I need to let the paint harden and lay down before wet sanding. My next-door neighbor who does cabinet work professionally graciously offered to spray the final coat for me, and I accepted his offer.
    20200830_105959.jpg

Looks fantastic! Can't wait to see it in the water!
    Good to have a painter next door :-)
    "Little Bear" 1955 Fontana 18' - 1958 Atomic 4
    1960 Skippy 12C FeatherCraft - 1947 Mercury KD4 Rocket
    " Fela " 1985 Glen L15 - 1977 Johnson 15 hp
    2016 kayak Mill Creek 13