Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crandall Black Arrow Runabout Build thread

Default Crandall Black Arrow Runabout Build thread

Prior to deciding to purchase plans and begin this build, I spent some time looking at the original Black Arrow plans by Richard Crandall. I downloaded them in JPG format, and using Photoshop, I cleaned them up and re-typed the instructions, and finally exported them as a PDF. If you'd like a copy, you can download it at the following link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-U...k5YWNjbTg/view

If the link doesn't work, try it in Google Chrome
    Last edited by Illinois Switzer; 08-25-2017 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Updated file link to Google Drive

Default Re: Crandall Black Arrow Runabout Build thread

28 August 2016

I completed cutting, sanding and fitting my frames, to include the keel and stringers. I built the strongback and laid out the keel. I had already made the decision to stretch the build length by 12 inches.

3SEP2016-002.jpg
    Last edited by Illinois Switzer; 07-27-2020 at 05:15 AM. Reason: re-added images which disappeared

22NOV2016-001.jpg
    5NOV2016-001.jpg

I've determined the approximate location of the Moeller fuel cell, began lamination of a solid bow top, added gussets to the cockpit, added a rear coaming, and added a self-bailing motor well.

Last edited by Illinois Switzer; 07-31-2020 at 07:14 AM.

13 May 2017

I had to test out my electronics, so I made a wiring diagram...It worked.

13May2017-001.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Illinois Switzer; 07-31-2020 at 07:44 AM.

2JUL2017-002.jpg15 May to 16 June 2017

I started scarphing 3/8" marine ply for the bottom and sides. I also stained the frame and applied a coat of CPES on all surfaces, which, while perhaps unnecessary, a) looked better and b) made it easier to spot high spots as I sanded. The CPES will also ensure the ply is sealed.
    Last edited by Illinois Switzer; 07-27-2020 at 05:23 AM.

5AUG2917-001.jpg24 July to 5 August 2017

I glassed the sides and bottom with 6 oz fiberglass and three coats of epoxy, faired bottom and sides with Total Boat TotalFair epoxy fairing compound.

Last edited by Illinois Switzer; 07-27-2020 at 05:24 AM.

18AUG2017-002.jpgAnd that leaves me to where I am at the moment....sanding and applying more varnish to the transom. My plans for this weekend are to sand the primer and then I will apply a final primer coat with a spray gun. I'll likely do color over the Labor Day weekend. Hopefully my pictures don't jump around too much....
    Last edited by Illinois Switzer; 07-27-2020 at 05:27 AM.

Today I put a coat of varnish on the transom and rolled some paint on the bottom. I've chosen a dark color which won't be too forgiving of any irregularities, however, I plan to spray the final coats, so I should be fine. Tomorrow I'll be back to wet-sanding again. It's like a twisted mix of the movies "Groundhog Day" and "The Karate Kid".

That is a sweet looking boat! You certainly know what you're doing.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    That is a sweet looking boat! You certainly know what you're doing.
    Ha! Thanks for the kind words, though to be honest, I'm just a weekend wood-butcher with little skill. What I lack in woodworking skill, I make up for with stubbornness. Once I get the hull flipped and start on the decking, I'll no doubt be spending some time in the moaning chair. This forum has been an excellent resource for me.

Between selling a home, moving, purchasing a new home, and getting settled in, I took a two year hiatus from working on my boat. Last month, I dusted off the boat and got 95% of the deck attached. I'm slowly completing this project...20200725_165731.jpg

Looking forward to your progress.
    Nice garage!
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Looking forward to your progress.
    Nice garage!
    Thank you sir. Having an extended three car garage is a step up from my old garage in Illinois. 20190901_163504.jpg

After scouring the Internet for a set of windshield brackets at a reasonable price, I was able to source a set in cast aluminum for $180 USD, which is a lot more reasonable than some of the outrageous quotes i received. If anyone else is interested in them, info is below:

download.jpg

We still manufacture the (4) piece set - cast aluminum, unfinished.

You can order by phone with a Visa or MasterCard (see office hours below).

Production takes up to 4 weeks.

Marie Bartlett
    Lake Shore Industries, Inc.
    1817 Poplar St. (16502)
    P.O. Box 3427
    Erie, PA 16508-0427
    800.458.0463 ph

Hello IS,

Your boat looks like you're doing a very nice job!
    What kind of wood did you use for the decking?
    You boat looks a little familiar... did the plans come Classic Wooden Boat Plans in Australia? If so did you cut the frames by hand or were you able to find someone to do it with a CNC machine?

Good Luck as you finish up!

Regards,
    Alan

Alan, You are correct. I purchased the plans from the Classic Wooden Boat Plans site in PDF format and printed them on a large scale plotter at work. I then took the printed frame stations and affixed them to my plywood sheets with spray adhesive, then cut them on a bandsaw. The plans were also provided with Autocad files for CNC, but I found my method to be more than accurate enough. There is a printing scale on the PDF files you'll want to check to ensure the printing ratio is consistent.
    9JUL2016-001.jpg

Edit: I used big box store Poplar for the decking. It was resawed to a bit over 1/4", run through the planer, and attached to the sub-deck.
    Last edited by Illinois Switzer; 07-31-2020 at 08:17 AM.

Hello IS
    That's a nice looking boat, I almost built this boat myself but ended up building a Mini_Flyer instead. Wish I had built a Black Arrow as it is a bigger and more stable boat. I always wondered exactly the bow would look like, this is the first one I have seen. Have You seen others?
    I do have a question about the plans you bought, are there any changes? Also do all you get is a file you can print if you have a large printer, or can one draw them out manually?
    Really want to see how it sits in the water.
    Again nice job.
    ShorelineJohn

Quote Originally Posted by ShorelineJohn View Post
    Hello IS
    That's a nice looking boat, I almost built this boat myself but ended up building a Mini_Flyer instead. Wish I had built a Black Arrow as it is a bigger and more stable boat. I always wondered exactly the bow would look like, this is the first one I have seen. Have You seen others?
    I do have a question about the plans you bought, are there any changes? Also do all you get is a file you can print if you have a large printer, or can one draw them out manually?
    Really want to see how it sits in the water.
    Again nice job.
    ShorelineJohn
    John,

When you purchase the plans, the only option is digital files, and you'll receive PDF, DXF and a 3D file you can visualize the bare frame with . My understanding that the original 1946 offset tables were used to generate files in SketchUp. I'm sure that one could create all the frames based upon the original plans, but that's way above my level of skill. Changes I made to the plans were lengthening 12", Adding a motor well, rear coaming, and the dash. The only other build I am aware of is one done in England. Link Here
    Last edited by Illinois Switzer; 07-31-2020 at 07:49 AM.

Hello IS,

I thought the drawings of the ring frames in your photo looked familiar.

I'm building a little gentleman's racer using the plans for the GarWood Speedster from CWBP. I also bought the plans for the Hacker Gentleman's Racer from Wooden Boat so that I'd have plans with information I'll need as I move beyond the CWBP information.

Fortunately I contacted Chesapeake Light Craft and spoke to Dillion M. one of their designers and he was able to do what was needed with the info from Australia so that the frames and stem could be cut on their cnc equipment.
    Since I have no wood working experience having some already cut parts to assemble got me off to a good start. (It started to look like a boat after just a few weeks.)
    The fact that the frames are cut from 3/4" plywood seems to be viewed as being not too wise. I've been very careful about epoxy coating (x3) all the plywood parts. The keel, chine, shear, engine stringers, battens/stringers, and transom framing are all mahogany. I'm hoping it doesn't begin to fall apart as soon as it's in the water.
    I am having fun though and doing something I never thought I'd get to do.

What did you use to finish the poplar deck?

I did use your link to see the boat in the UK. Very nifty boat!!!

Regards,
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alan71 View Post
    Hello IS,

I thought the drawings of the ring frames in your photo looked familiar.

I'm building a little gentleman's racer using the plans for the GarWood Speedster from CWBP. I also bought the plans for the Hacker Gentleman's Racer from Wooden Boat so that I'd have plans with information I'll need as I move beyond the CWBP information.

Fortunately I contacted Chesapeake Light Craft and spoke to Dillion M. one of their designers and he was able to do what was needed with the info from Australia so that the frames and stem could be cut on their cnc equipment.
    Since I have no wood working experience having some already cut parts to assemble got me off to a good start. (It started to look like a boat after just a few weeks.)
    The fact that the frames are cut from 3/4" plywood seems to be viewed as being not too wise. I've been very careful about epoxy coating (x3) all the plywood parts. The keel, chine, shear, engine stringers, battens/stringers, and transom framing are all mahogany. I'm hoping it doesn't begin to fall apart as soon as it's in the water.
    I am having fun though and doing something I never thought I'd get to do.

What did you use to finish the poplar deck?

I did use your link to see the boat in the UK. Very nifty boat!!!

Regards,
    Alan
    I had similar concerns about the strength of the ring frames, however,once the stringers were fastened and the 3/8" marine ply sides and bottom epoxied and screwed down, everything is rock solid. That said, I added two transom knees and a motor well for added strength and piece of mind.

I haven't finished sanding the deck, but it will be stained, epoxied, sanded, then varnished. Seams will be filled with black Sikaflex 291. The deck is 1/4" poplar veneer over a 10mm plywood sub-deck. I used CPES on all surfaces, and everything is glued and screwed down with bronze square head screws.

I finished attaching the rub rail and positioned some stainless fittings to see how it will look. I still need to trim the deck veneer around the motor well and fill some holes and sand, sand, sand....
    20200801_092707.jpg
    20200801_092655.jpg
    20200801_092721.jpg

Nice project well done. Sitting on the trailer she looks very fast, any idea what the cruising speed will be?

Quote Originally Posted by cut3times View Post
    Nice project well done. Sitting on the trailer she looks very fast, any idea what the cruising speed will be?
    I would guess in the neighborhood of 45-50 mph wide open.

Quote Originally Posted by Illinois Switzer View Post
    I would guess in the neighborhood of 45-50 mph wide open.
    How long is it and what is the hull weight? That’s a lot of speed for a 40. I run a 70 2 stroke mercury on my rascal and can nearly make 50. A short shaft may get me closer to 60 but I haven’t done the conversion yet. 14’6” and about 450 lb hull weight.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wilkinson View Post
    How long is it and what is the hull weight? That’s a lot of speed for a 40. I run a 70 2 stroke mercury on my rascal and can nearly make 50. A short shaft may get me closer to 60 but I haven’t done the conversion yet. 14’6” and about 450 lb hull weight.
    Tom,
    Weight is approximately 400 lbs, and it's a short shaft 2 stroke. I just took a SWAG when I guessed 45-50.
    Last edited by Illinois Switzer; 08-02-2020 at 04:07 PM.

Short shaft will help for sure. Very cool boat. Can’t wait to see it run and hear some numbers.
    Tom

20200807_173439 - Copy.jpgDeck is stained and drying. Tomorrow or Sunday, I hope to get a coat of epoxy sealer on. After that and some sanding and I'll start in on the seams with Sikaflex 291.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Illinois Switzer; 08-07-2020 at 05:27 PM.

I’m liking this.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

I sealed the deck with epoxy and it went down without issue, other than one gnat that decided to test my epoxy viscosity, but his legacy (or more like his legs) will sand out later. I'll start taping the seams in preparation for Sikaflex tomorrow once the epoxy has had a full day to cure.
    20200808_133526.jpg20200808_133515.jpg

Switzer, I 'ran the numbers' on your boat using several speed estimating methods (Crouch, Bailey, Gerr and my own proprietary one) and I think that you should see 45 mph without problem, presuming that your prop is up to the task. If you get less than this, you might consider taking your propeller to a good prop shop in your area and have them tune it for you.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Thanks mmd. When I bought the motor, it had an abused stock Merc prop on it, which wasn't worth repairing, so I put on a stainless 11-1/8 x 13 Solas New Saturn 3 (1331-111-13). To be honest, I rarely run any boat WFO though.

This thing is gorgeous. Congrats on seeing it through!

I was skulking about the garage this morning and it dawned on me that I will likely need to fit a spray rail. I figure extending out about 3" and approximately 6' to 7' from the stern, and approximately 6" from the deck should keep me from getting too drenched. Sides will be a slightly darker blue, and I'' probably go stained mahogany on the spray rails.
    20200801_092721.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Illinois Switzer View Post
    I was skulking about the garage this morning and it dawned on me that I will likely need to fit a spray rail. I figure extending out about 3" and approximately 6' to 7' from the stern, and approximately 6" from the deck should keep me from getting too drenched. Sides will be a slightly darker blue, and I'' probably go stained mahogany on the spray rails.
    20200801_092721.jpg
    I’d be surprised if you need a rail there to stay dry. Both my rascal and squirt are extremely dry boats. The only water that ever get in them is from a bathing suit (other than when I stuffed the bow).
    Tom

Is the yellow stripe merely a marker, or have you committed wood to the rail yet? If it is just a marker, I might suggest getting wet once: Put the boat in the water - sans spray rail - and run it at various speeds past a friend on shore who is taking pictures of you and the boat. From the photos you will be able to determine where the optimum placement of the spray rail will be. Putting your yellow tape as transverse (station) markers on the topsides at one- or two-foot intervals will make evaluation from the photos easier.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.