Thread: Salt and Tar vlog

Default Salt and Tar vlog

Apologize if this has been posted previously but I just found this video log and website of some folks building a George Beuhler designed ketch -

https://saltandtar.org/

Default Re: Salt and Tar vlog

I've been following it from almost day one. You can't fault their work ethic or enthusiasm, although there are a few construction details that I think might bite them in the ass to varying degrees. It is a bit unclear to me how weĺl caulked some of those planks are, for example.
    On the other hand, it is mostly all very low tech and repairable, and I reckon theyll have a lot of fun.

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

All i read in the comments to the video's is "great work" and "true craftsmanship" while i look at that thing and see a boat shaped shed made with home depot supplies, much like Raw Faith, or that catamaran built from 2x4's that someone wanted to sail to Hawaii, i admire their enthusiasm, but i think it will sink like a brick if they ever put it in the water.

It certainly won't sink, though I think it will leak quite a bit for a few days. Its well held together, and will be plenty safe for 30 years. After that it will be time to build a new one.

I've met them, good people. They aren't in the bristol- fashion- varnish- and- teak crowd, but they do a whole lot more boatbuilding than the vast majority on this forum.

They have lots of sailing experience, and will get good use out of their boat.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDelorean View Post
    a boat shaped shed made with home depot supplies, much like Raw Faith, or that catamaran built from 2x4's that someone wanted to sail to Hawaii, i admire their enthusiasm, but i think it will sink like a brick if they ever put it in the water.
    Hyperbole much?

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

I've been loosely following this vlog for a couple of years. I'm just confused as to why they bothered to carvel plank this boat.?? It's a hullform that lends itself perfectly to plywood construction. They would be sailing by now had they used some common sense in this regard.

Buehler talks up carvel construction in his how-to book, emphasizing how easy it is to repair individual planks. Or, they may just have wanted to gain experience with carvel techniques? I would have gone with plywood for sure.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

They aren'y building in a way that hasn't been done before. I think it is similar to how John Wray built Ngataki and look how that ended up.
    Their official biography indicates to me that they have a fair amount of experience repairing wood boats https://saltandtar.org/about/

Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

That's not HOME DEPOT LUMBER.... idjit! The critic wouldn't know lumber if it bit him in the arse...

is it just me, or does the wbf seems to have a bit of an "issue" with buehlers boats, and/or the people who build them?

whenever his his designs are discussed here it generally devolves, pretty quickly, into into cries of "what a big pile of lumberyard s#it" and yeah...that could be true, but like... y'all would rather see that thing covered in plywood...? to each their own I suppose (which I think should be the take-away from all of this)

It's not just you--I've noticed the same anti-Buehler attitude overall. I don't share it.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

It's seems kinda funny, the same folks that hate Butheler, also seem to complain about the lack of large scale carvel builds being displayed, huh.
    Nicholas

Quote Originally Posted by Pelirrojo View Post
    It's seems kinda funny, the same folks that hate Butheler, also seem to complain about the lack of large scale carvel builds being displayed, huh.
    Nicholas
    What's funny, is a lot of people on this forum read a lot of books, buy a lot of tools, and still can't figure why they cut it twice and it's still too short...

any ideas which Buheler design Salty Tar is?

whats not to love!

got's to love these Bhuler Beauties!

Latest from the Salty Tars!