Thread: Mirror Hull Panel Replacement

Default Mirror Hull Panel Replacement

Hi All, new to this forum and sailing. I have been given a 1969 Mirror with some hull damage. I've removed the damaged hull panels and forward bulkhead in preparation for fitting the new ones. My question is about the best method of fixing the new plywood panels. Do I use an epoxy resin as the glue and tie the panels with copper ties to hold them in place then seal the whole joint line with fibreglass tape and epoxy resin.

Default Re: Mirror Hull Panel Replacement

^That is how I would do it. It mimics the way she was built, but uses better resin that the original polyester.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Thanks for your reply, now another if I may? When the boat was originally built all of the inside hull would have been exposed making it an easy job to tape the internal joints. Now as a repair this isn't the case. The new bulkhead comes with a 6" inspection hole and at a push I could fit another on the forward deck which would give me some access but still feels like its going to be a pain.... So the question is would you say that taping the internal joints is essential or would doing a decent tape job externally be sufficient?

^As you would consider cutting a hole in the deck, why not jig saw out a couple of big ones. Glue ply flanges around the inside edges, and then when the work is complete and you have painted out the inside of the tank, glue the pieces that you cut out back in.

Read this, http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...-Mighty-Pippin, and take heart.

Short answer - many Mirrors would have been built with no taping inside at all, or outside for that matter. If it's of a vintage, then you'll find it's a nail down to stringers situation anyway, so the fiberglass is just for the feel goods and insurance policy.

Epoxy as the glue, yes.

Attach it to the stringers how you see fit - nails, ties, screws, whatever

Epoxy fillet what you can inside, and glass the outside if you wanna. Everything else is window dressing.

Quote Originally Posted by asrainox View Post
    Short answer - many Mirrors would have been built with no taping inside at all, or outside for that matter. If it's of a vintage, then you'll find it's a nail down to stringers situation anyway, so the fiberglass is just for the feel goods and insurance policy.

Epoxy as the glue, yes.

Attach it to the stringers how you see fit - nails, ties, screws, whatever

Epoxy fillet what you can inside, and glass the outside if you wanna. Everything else is window dressing.
    What stringers?

If you find that access to insert the copper wires is a problem, you could use a hot melt glue gun to tack the panels in place while you epoxy.
    I bought a hot glue gun with glue sticks about 5 years ago for about 7, it has been invaluable when you need an extra pair of hands. Look for a 20 watt gun so less time waiting for it to produce glue.
    You can remove the glue by warming it with a hair dryer and scraping it off.
    Depending on the angles between panels adhesive tape across the joint could be used, then tack between them with epoxy. Some people build canoes just using adhesive tape in place of stitches.
    If the panels butt up to the existing with no gap, it is best to bevel the edges of the panel so you can get thickened epoxy into the full thickness of the ply.

I didn't see any stringers than the hull panels fix to, there is a overlap fixing that was fixed with copper nails; that was totally shot so will be putting a new one in. The other edges of the panels just fixed to the other panels with glue, copper ties and fibreglass tape inside and out. I'll see how difficult it is to tape inside as I think that is probably a good idea even if it is overkill. Really appreciate the feedback, if anyone else has any pearls of wisdom I would love to hear them.

I glued in a backing block and used screws to hold the new panel to it until the epoxy set up.
    Glass taped where I could.

R
    Sleep with one eye open.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMoreland View Post
    I didn't see any stringers than the hull panels fix to, there is a overlap fixing that was fixed with copper nails; that was totally shot so will be putting a new one in. The other edges of the panels just fixed to the other panels with glue, copper ties and fibreglass tape inside and out.
    Don't worry about it. It is possible that Mirror dinghy's did not make it as far as Melbourn Australia.
    Did you find time to look at the Mighty Pippin thread yet?

For what its worth,a friend used a webcam and a laptop to help him see what he was doing when working inside a bow buoyancy tank.You really do need glass on both sides of the hull joints and epoxy will do a better job than the original polyester.

Mirrors would be far more ubiquitous had it not been for their insistence on making people buy pricey kits instead of plans.

Quote Originally Posted by capefox View Post
    Mirrors would be far more ubiquitous had it not been for their insistence on making people buy pricey kits instead of plans.
    That guaranteed that they were a one design class boat. How much were class measurer fees back in the day?

What a thread and restoration, would love to do a proper job on mine but alas I have neither the time nor resources (already 200 in the hole without topcoat and varnish and no doubt more epoxy) to do it. My plan is to get it operational for the kids to be able to sail at our local club, it would be nice for it to look good but I'll settle for solid.

Boat had been laid up outside in a damaged state for quite some time.

Only after cutting away did the extent of the damage become apparent.

The damage was more extensive than I first thought, both forward hull panels and the forward bulkhead beyond hope, adjoining panels a bit flaky also but think I can fix these. Just waiting for my components and materials to arrive so I can start work proper.