Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: A New Rig for Julia, Parcelled and Served Dyneema

Default Re: A New Rig for Julia, Parcelled and Served Dyneema

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    I can't imagine what a suitable lightning conductor would look like to take the power of a lightning strike from masthead to the water. You'd have a copper rod the size of the mast. I think these systems are like airbags in a car. The car will still be a write-off but you'll survive. Your rig will still be written off, but your boat won't explode into a ball of fire. It certainly is something that needs consideration in a cruising vessel.
    It does indeed need consideration, but there certainly are a number of different opinions on how best to deal with lightning.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Hi,

I just came across this thread and would like to give a big thank you for your time outlining your rigging procedure and experiences. My wife and I are also planning on parcelled and served dyneema for our rig so this is a great guide.

I was also concerned about lightening protection without any metal overhead to offer protection on deck. In our case we built new laminated solid masts so I ran a 2/0 AWG conductor in the layup with solid copper termination points at either end. It wasn't that much of a pain and gives a bit of comfort.

Cheers,
    Mark

Some of the most beautiful work I have ever seen pictured here....
    Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    I have driven a 6.5l Dodge with diesel Cummins and it was glorious....

Hi J,

Wonder what you used to measure your tension after doing the splice.

Mark

I had a crane scale I borrowed from work. Even with the wheels blocked I couldn't get much past 2500 lb without sliding the truck across the yard, so that may be a useful data point if you don't have a scale.

Absolutely gorgeous. I am *Seriously* impressed with your splicing work on the dyneema. There's a new backstay in my boats future, maybe I ought to splice up my own!

I'm sitting at home recovering from surgery, catching up on threads. It was a delight to go over this one.
    Well done!
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

When you put to sea, even without our acknowledgment, which is overwhelmed by the quality of your work, you have the peace of mind of knowing you have done it right, very right! Plus, those of us who still use a Yankee Scredriver Salute you as well! Bravo!
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 11-13-2017 at 01:00 PM.

I read this thread and I am really impressed. I did not parcel and serve my Dux rigging, as I thought the added windage would be quite significant. But it certainly seems to make the rig bullet proof with respect to UV and chafe.
    I have been an advocate of this stuff for a couple of years now, having really enjoyed working with it on my boat and the end result. The more I think about it, the more I think it should be the material of choice for standing rigging on a wide range of boat types.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Madison View Post
    I know of an Ingrid in Port Townsend named Pelin, but no Pilar. Pelin has a nearly identical served rig to the one I just built.
    Hey, I just found this thread - beautiful boat and good choice on the rigging! Pelin is my boat - we did this last year, also with Brion's help, and I can vouch that compared to splicing steel, working with this stuff is a dream. Here's a brief video of me flipping the serving mallet, out behind Brion's shop. https://youtu.be/BOZD1uAhRko

Nice video! What was the purpose of the stabilizer line to the tree?

Hope to meet on the water next summer.

Hi,

Wondering how you sized your Dyneema, did you use the colligomarine "stretch chart" (link below) or some other guidance material ?

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...quavalents.pdf

Thanks,
    Mark

I did reference that chart. For the most part, I sized things for SS 1x19 and then went up a size. This resulted in safety factors over my 60 degree heel loading (max load) of 8-10. I feel really safe about that. Its much stronger than the steel it replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Madison View Post
    Nice video! What was the purpose of the stabilizer line to the tree?

Hope to meet on the water next summer.
    That was how Brion and crew showed me to set it up - it just reduces the amount of play in the line so it doesn't take such wide sweeping circles to keep it going. Sometimes had two or even three of those lines on a single piece.

Where is your boat now?

Great thread and congratulations on relaunching Julia back into her element.
    Enjoyed the cruising part of what used to be my old stomping grounds.

Hi J,

I've been reading this thread again (great reference!), thinking about getting some rigging ordered in the next month. You mentioned that "The riggers apprentice" (latest addition, mine has nothing) has a section on dyneema rigging, does he get into the creep / stretch guidance. I'm debating purchasing a copy.

Cheers,
    Mark

A marvelous job !!!! Well done .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

You, and your wife, are quite amazing. You build boat after boat, plus re-rig and get Julia sailing again. All the while building a new post and beam shop.
    When do you find time to work for a living???
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark0 View Post
    Hi J,

I've been reading this thread again (great reference!), thinking about getting some rigging ordered in the next month. You mentioned that "The riggers apprentice" (latest addition, mine has nothing) has a section on dyneema rigging, does he get into the creep / stretch guidance. I'm debating purchasing a copy.

Cheers,
    Mark
    I'm not sure, sorry. I don't have the latest edition. He did tell me that the new version had more info. It might be worth emailing his shop. They are generally responsive.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    You, and your wife, are quite amazing. You build boat after boat, plus re-rig and get Julia sailing again. All the while building a new post and beam shop.
    When do you find time to work for a living???
    Actually, I always feel like I'm not getting enough done. Especially in winter. I've taken up boat design the last couple winters, so I feel like I'm doing something productive, but I don't have to go out in the rain.

I don't have kids, or a TV. I do have a restless spirit...

I never feel like I'm productive enough either. I do have a TV though. That probably doesn't help my situation.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

huh, just made me realize this spring will be my 20 year anniversary of not owning a TV.

We've been doing lots of projects on Julia, and I think I'll keep logging them here, even if we move away from the rig for a bit.

With the onset of winter, we realized that the boat needed more ventilation. I had some jatoba offcuts that I used to make dorade box ventilators.

Snap your fingers twice.....

They should dress things up a bit for as long as I can keep up the varnish. Not shown is the 4" diameter copper pipe set through the deck in the forward part of the box. It goes up within 2" of the top of the box, which should keep all but the most extreme seas out. There are screw in caps that replace the cowls if necessary. As soon as the bank account allows for new sails, the boom will be raised a bit, which will greatly increase the lifespan of the ventilators.

Just visible in the background was the new bronze sheet horse. Already getting green spots from the deck-bucket ritual. Its attachment is a bit unconventional, because I wanted to load up the deck beams, not the decking itself, but I did not want to impede on the headroom 1 millimeter. So I countersunk a bronze bar and recessed it into the beams and used two flathead fasteners up into the sheet horse base from the bottom.

That Crosby shackle will be replaced with bronze soon.

Very nice!

My dorades are similar in design & even with 3 to 4" of green water over the cabintop, only a couple of drips came into the cabin.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Very pretty!

What make of ventilator cowls are those? They're a lot nicer than the Daveys I've seen.

Alex

I think they are beautiful, but they are fairly affordable stamped sheet brass. They were ~$150 each, compared to the cast bronze ones at nearly $1000 each! We will see how they hold up. Not name brand. Likely Asian in origin. They are the full 4" size, many others are only 3".

Very nice work.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Absolutely beautiful boat! Awesome!

WgMkr

We have also been working on adding coamings. I almost left them off, but I wanted someplace obvious to mount cleats and winches so they didn't seem like randomly placed tripping hazards. I also like how the coamings keep things like water bottles, sunglasses, chart books, etc.. contained. The backrest and sense of protection is nice too.

They are built from jatoba, which must be the worlds hardest wood. It is more dense than purpleheart! Holes have to be exactly the right size for screws, its about like machining iron. The coamings are tapered from about an inch at the top to two inches at the bottom, giving a vertical outside face but a sloped backrest on the inside.

All-thread rod was used to fasten them to each deck beam. The hole for the washer and nut was counterbored and bunged. Drilling the long holes was a careful operation, but none of them came out the side, thank goodness.

I always seem to forget to get pictures of things when they are finished. Probably because its usually dark out.

Anyway, I have more than enough varnish to maintain, so these will be oiled. If that doesn't seem to be working, I might end up painting them.

Additional support will be provided by the cast bronze winch bases I am gearing up to make.