Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567 LastLast

Thread: A New Rig for Julia, Parcelled and Served Dyneema

Default Re: A New Rig for Julia, Parcelled and Served Dyneema

Looks great and I have same project on my list - was thinking of bent oak with bronze fittings. I can't tell from the pics, but did you machine the slots for the bronze pieces, or make little cores? Any pics of the ramming and pouring? Really nice work.

The slot was machined after, which was easier than making a delicate core, but it meant quite a large cross sectional difference so I used a big riser to prevent shrinkage defects. My strategy is generally the heaviest cross section should be in the riser, not the part. It usually works.

You can kind of see more of the details here. I used 1/4" bolts for the pins, long enough that the pivot rides on the smooth shank sort of like a shoulder bolt. I cut off the excess. I did have to ream the bore of the tube fitting to clean up the casting roughness to make them fit. Set screws adjust the position, which gives me a chance to tighten things up a bit as needed.

Funny that I barely notice the butyl tape squeeze out in person, but on camera it jumps out.

The tubes were riveted to the end fittings with copper. One thing I am particularly happy with is the little pockets on each side. They should be just the thing for a flashlight, bottle of sunscreen, etc...

As always, I admire your work immensely. I share your attitude, why pay for something to be done when I can do it half as well myself. Nicely said. Although I think you do rather better than many so called professionals, while I struggle to achieve half as good.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Great job fitting that dodger ,and you will appreciate all the associated benefits it will provide.

Did you consider trying to engineer a boom crutch alongside the dodger design?
    Last edited by auscruisertom; 01-20-2020 at 05:36 AM.

Nice!
    As usual, well done!

Love seeing what you are doing, don't be surprised if I copy a few things

I'm starting to think we should pay you to make two sets of everything you do for Julia and save us some work down the road =)
    ACORN TO ARABELLA
    For additional info on this project:

www.acorntoarabella.com
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi...WB1xCp6uuUo0VA

Beautiful job. It does not look for a moment like a first attempt.
    -Dave

Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Great job fitting that dodger ,and you will appreciate all the associated benefits it will provide.

Did you consider trying to engineer a boom crutch alongside the dodger design?
    I would like a gallows for the boom, to protect the dodger and all the usual reasons. Just another project in the queue, though it may never get to the top of the list.

Quote Originally Posted by sdenette View Post
    Nice!
    As usual, well done!

Love seeing what you are doing, don't be surprised if I copy a few things

I'm starting to think we should pay you to make two sets of everything you do for Julia and save us some work down the road =)
    I'm glad to offer some inspiration!

Quote Originally Posted by J.Madison View Post
    This was the impetus needed to finally build a sea hood (turtle) over the companionway slider. I kept it simple, a fir frame with 3 layers of 1/4" ply laminated up to the curve. Finally, I can bucket down the cabin top without putting half of it down the hatch.
    Hi J,

Fantastic work (as usual) and thanks for the detail description and photos posted. The above section caught my attention, I'm wondering why you went with ply vs solid timber ? The reason I ask is that I've been contemplating doing a similar laminated method for our companionway hatches but I flip back and forth on the construction method daily

Cheers,
    Mark

I went with ply with a light fabric epoxied over for two reasons. Mostly, because it matches the construction of the cabin top, and I wanted it to feel like a continuation of that surface. Secondly, because it was much faster to build and won't ever leak!

The list of projects is longer than there are weekends in the year, so I wen't with the quick, easy, solid way. I do like the look of a staved sea hood that matches the companionway slider, if starting from scratch I would probably consider that way. I would use a dense wood suitable for oiling or leaving bare in any case. Too much varnish in my life already. Paint solves that problem.

Too much varnish in my life already. Paint solves that problem.
    I came to that myself. It doesn't have to look like a piano to enjoy it. I have some varnish topside but not much. Save it for down below.
    The curved aft dodger frame bow is something I have never seen. Put that in my bag of tricks.
    We shouldn't be so critical of wrinkles in our canvas jobs. Always guilty of that myself but its canvas.

I've been trying to keep busy, with all the time at home these days.

First up- finish the sailing rig for the dinghy. (Dave Gentry Annabelle Skiff)

I added a removable aft thwart and another set of oarlocks as well. With two people aboard there was just no good way to balance the boat, making it hard to steer under oars. Now I can move aft to get the skeg back in the water, while my passenger rides forward.

I've yet to actually try her out sailing on water.

I've been keeping the sewing machine warm as well. I made a set of covers for the dodger windows, to protect against UV and caustic dust. (I moor right next to a cement plant.) They got a super soft fabric liner inside to prevent scratches.

Next up is awning of my own design, intended for shade mostly. Ketches pose an interesting problem in getting shade, unless you put the mizzen boom really high. This should make hot summer anchorages much more comfortable, though it won't do anything under sail. It will also make a great rainwater catchment device if I ever find myself far from a spigot. (the leather corner patches on the dodger are new too. )

I made leather pockets for the batten. My only complaint is the batten might be a bit too stiff, I expected it to bow but it pretty much stays straight and bows the fabric to it. I might give it a couple passes through the planer one of these days. I used the spendy lifetime thread on the dodger and the awning.

Continuing the theme of luxury and comfort, I made a set of cockpit cushions. They are extremely comfortable, made of dry-fast foam. They snap in place to keep from blowing away or getting underfoot. There are a couple more snaps on each hidden against the coaming.

That’s very cushy!

Thanks for a wonderful thread. Now I’m on the hunt for tarred twine to serve my bowsprit.

Nice work as always sir! After a few years, the cost of that spendy thread will completely disappear, and when the stitching lasts as long as the fabric it will make perfect sense. Just the labor of re-stitching (even if you catch it before things come apart) makes it the way to go. With butyl delayed squeezout, have you any ideas? Seems it gets pretty hard to remove after some time passes, and it takes a bit of time till its done moving. When fresh and soft, it sticks to itself so well that its easy, but later, not so much. Aside from that, I wish I had found it (or it me) a few decades earlier...
    Brian

The butyl tape is great stuff, I haven't noticed delayed squeeze out, but sometimes I'm bad about cleaning it up in the first place. It is much better to do it when fresh. Mineral spirits clean it up very easily, after you've pulled the bulk of material away. You have to be a little careful, as the spirits turn it almost liquid, so only apply to the area you need to clean. I use a sharp knife around the perimeter, to make a thin spot that breaks when I pull away the bulk.

I've been doing quite a bit of spar work lately as well. Besides the 3 new spars for the dinghy, I added a little halyard winch to the mizzen. Before it was just a single part rope, and I struggled to get tension in any kind of wind.

I built the new main boom a while ago, the old main boom has now become the mizzen boom. It was an inconvenient U shape cross section, so I filled it in with a stick of fir and riveted the GD swivel so it no longer dumps the sail into the cockpit right as you get it all down. Having a non-roller boom also allowed me to finally install deployable lazy jacks, shown stowed.

The old mizzen boom was then free to be reworked into the new staysail boom. By this point all the lumberyards were closed, so I cut off the top portions of the U shape and glued them back on to make a more standard oval boom. The booms turned out to be yellow cedar, lovely stuff.

The next spar I need is a whisker pole, but I'm going to have to find some lumber first.

Nice! Did you already have the staysail boom deck fitting? I plan to add a boom to my boat & am always interested in how they are attached - though I'll probably need to custom make something that mounts to my windlass.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I cast the staysail crane a few years ago, based off the old Merriman pattern. Shown here with the first boom I made. It was too spindly, so it is now the dinghy boom.

Thanks!

The next project was a tie rod to reinforce the hull against rigging loads. The biggest bolt I've ever made, with some home-made nuts and heavy washers as well.

It reinforces the mast step and transfers compression loads from the mast up to the deck to prevent deformation of the hull. Pardon the messy forepeak.

I finally got the dinghy out under sail for a bit as well.

It’s pleasure to watch you improving an already beautiful boat Jonathon. A2A have a lot of catching up

what type of sewing machine did you use, a Sailrite or just a domestic?

It's all beautiful. Are you living aboard now?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Donald View Post
    It’s pleasure to watch you improving an already beautiful boat Jonathon. A2A have a lot of catching up

what type of sewing machine did you use, a Sailrite or just a domestic?
    I have a Sailrite machine. Arabella will catch up in no time, I am jealous of having the boat right at hand with a workshop full of tools. I spend a lot of time carting tools and materials back and forth, and the boat is far enough that if I forgot some supplies or need to use the stationary power tools I have to wait another week to get back to it. I try to have multiple projects going at once, so one forgotten screw size doesn't render the trip useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    It's all beautiful. Are you living aboard now?
    Not yet. Living aboard in a slip isn't for me- no garden or shop. But I hope to do some extended cruising when the world straightens back out.

There has been a mysterious frame in the background of my workbench pics for a while now.

This spring has been extremely wet, so I decided to tackle some interior projects and finally get it installed. This was the existing configuration behind the stbd settee. It wasn't bad in theory, though I didn't love how all the debris was visible, and could fall out. But mostly, it was very uncomfortable as a backrest. Hard to see- but it has an inch or so of concavity, and the top is set back away from the shelf fiddle. This meant that trying to recline put the fiddle right in your neck before your back hit the backrest at all.

I added 1.5" to the front of the shelves, sanded and oiled them. The new face frame is slightly angled for comfort and pulled all the way up to the fiddle.

The result is MUCH more comfortable for those long evenings at anchor, nursing a bottle of wine and watching the flame in the heater. I like the cleaned up look and increased stowage as well.

The latches that I have been trying to match are basically impossible to get. Only Canadians seems to sell them (it is a Canadian boat). I've had them on order for a full year, so far 3 have trickled in. No word on the fourth....

This spring has been so wet, that there appeared a new deck leak that was tight and dry all winter- the cushion is still a bit wet.

That's the Riggers Apprentice on the shelf. I took these before I heard that Brion Toss had passed away. Very sad, his book gets regular use onboard.
    Last edited by J.Madison; 06-10-2020 at 11:24 AM.

It's a little hard to tell from the picture, but are those a kind of brass bar latch?
    Alex

“It's only those who do nothing that make no mistakes, I suppose.”
    - Joseph Conrad, An Outcast of the Islands

http://www.alexzimmerman.ca

These guys:

There were a number of them in the boat, and I like how they are a pull and latch in one. I've been trying to use the same latch throughout.

That's what I thought. Nice clean design. I have seen similar action bar latches at Lee Valley Tools but not ones with a nice hefty knob like that.
    Alex

“It's only those who do nothing that make no mistakes, I suppose.”
    - Joseph Conrad, An Outcast of the Islands

http://www.alexzimmerman.ca

Very nice.

For years now none of the other lockers have had shelves, leaving everything in a jumbled heap on the curved bottom. I can't believe it took this long, but I'm finally getting shelving in.

I set the top shelves back a bit to allow for some hanging storage. The bottom shelf lifts out to access the spare rum bottle.

Bit of an odd shape to this one. It feels nice to have them done. One of those things that's been on the list forever.

Anybody know of a floating rope to use for a dinghy painter that isn't a garish neon color?

For years now none of the other lockers have had shelves, leaving everything in a jumbled heap on the curved bottom. I can't believe it took this long, but I'm finally getting shelving in.

I set the top shelves back a bit to allow for some hanging storage. The bottom shelf lifts out to access the spare rum bottle.

Bit of an odd shape to this one. It feels nice to have them done. One of those things that's been on the list forever.

Anybody know of a floating rope to use for a dinghy painter that isn't a garish neon color?
    The shelves look great!

Believe it or not, I found dark green with small white & red flecking 3/8" polypro at WalMart. IIRC, it was $5.00 for 50 ft. It's hauled a 9' Dyer Dhow all over New England for years & floats very well.

These guys:

There were a number of them in the boat, and I like how they are a pull and latch in one. I've been trying to use the same latch throughout.

You haven't gotten around to casting your own yet? Brass ought to be easier to do than bronze.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

The specs for Hempex state the specific gravity is 0.91, so it should float. R&W rope also sells a polypropylene that is a little darker than Roblon called Polytex, but I think the Hempex may work: https://www.rwrope.com/collections/r...14089329573941.
    Heute ist so ein schöne Tag...

That first picture makes me feel so good. I am in the company of Gods! Yes indeed I have exactly the same LED light stuck to one of my bulkheads. I used a bit of butyl tape rather than the double sided tape supplied, so I can stick it back up when I change the batteries. Please tell me you did the same. Then I can die with no regrets.

Ha, sorry, I haven't had to change the batteries yet so its still on the original tape. I dream of an led strip on the bottom of each shelf lighting the one below without glaring in my eyes. Maybe someday.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

you can get 12v 'rope' light - more like string. It doesn't give off much light, which is fine if you have it in a small confined little space. A few hot glue tabs would keep it in place.
    Salty air resistant...... ???
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

There was another thread where I was waffling on how to deal with a whisker pole on deck, various break-down ideas were considered. In the end I shortened the pole a bit to 16 ft and left it one piece. It stows alongside the cabin house. Its a bit longer than the house actually- my wife has stubbed her toe on the bit sticking out, but I haven't- so jury's still out on that.

I lined some chocks with leather to hold it in place.

I cast the mast fitting myself, but found the pole end fittings in a pile of parts from an old boat I once owned.