Thread: And the winner is... J2

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post And the winner is... J2

I have been hanging around the forum for a number of years, drifting in and out, wanting to build an Oughtred beach cruiser but having noplace to work. That is now changing. I will soon have a garage with enough room to build the boat I want. I have flirted with a number of other lovely designs during this time, but when it came time to make the purchase I chose Iain Oughtred's J2. Thank you Edward Pearson for telling me of the strip option for J2. I choose to build in strip because I have a spinal injury, and I believe it will be easier to rip and strip than to scarf sheets of plywood and handle the large panels. It also allows me to buy all of my wood locally. I have purchased the plans directly from Mr. Oughtred, who said "Pleased with your choice of Boat!"

Special thanks to Peter Sibley.

You have been an inspiration, Peter. You have helped me realize that every day I wake up is a good one. Thank you. I am looking forward to seeing you at the helm of your Jim.

I feel like a member of the forum now, rather than just an interloper. I'm as excited as a teenager who has just been handed the keys to a Corvette. I am looking forward to the build and to enjoying her with my grandchildren. I will soon be moving, probably the first week of September. I will then need to set up shop, build a work bench, make a strong back, purchase materials, etc., and so there will be some time between now and when I actually start building. I will post my progress on a building thread.

This is taking some time as I am hopping in and out to watch the eclipse.

A big thank you to my fellow forum members who have taken the time to answer questions from a dreamer and now a neophyte builder. Please do not wander far from your computers as I will be pestering you constantly with questions. Wishing you all great sailing - John
    Last edited by Landlockedvoyager; 08-21-2017 at 06:05 PM.

Default Re: And the winner is... J2

Well done John.

To clarify, the molds are round on J2, but you will have to decide strip scantlings. To give you some ballpark comparison, on Gartside's 147, which is the same beam and only a bit less mainsail, at 15ft, the scantlings are 3/8ths WRC hull thickness, the battens are square edged 3/4" wide, you want to get the grain vertical for minimum movement as you table saw them out. He then sheeths it in 6oz glass cloth inside and out. Before he puts the outer keel on he puts a second outer layer on upto the turn of the bilge. You might lose a mm sanding it down smooth when your longboarding it though to consider regarging initial sawn thickness.

Thank you for that information, Edward. It is consistant with what I saw in Paul Fisher's description of his Casco Bay Canoe Yawl, a 16ft boat of similar weight. I like the idea of the second layer of glass on the bottom. I think glass on both sides will make up for any loss of wood. I want the hull to be fair, but I will try not to take off too much wood - John

I feel like adding a picture, but J2 does not seem to be available from Mr. Oughtred's website... but I found an old picture from a search, this is it?

I must have made a mistake. I don't care much for posting with my cell phone.
    Last edited by Landlockedvoyager; 08-22-2017 at 01:31 AM.

Yes, that is Mr. Oughtred in his J2, black hull, tanbark jib, and acre of varnish. I won't be using quite as much varnish, but I believe I can give her a nice finish. Thank you for posting - John

John, Paul's 17ft x 6ft beach cruiser in this months July/ Aug Watercraft, a substantially bigger boat with 'planing potential' uses the same scantlings. So you should be good to go with those dimensions and similar bulkheads etc. He says 9mm and expects it to finish 8mm after long boarding.

The J2 is Iain's harcore solo sail and oar boat. The connoisseurs choice. The Ferrari Dino of his double enders. Like the Dino, Enzo's special one, when it was personal. It will have an even narrower beam and waterline than some of his others. If you build it light, she'll be a rocket under oar, but you will have to ballast it down to approach its designed displacement solo to get it to be stable enough under press of sail, especially if you are in gusty conditions, otherwise you might find it 'falling over'.

Also be aware that the smooth bottom of a stripped hull should have less wetted area and turbulence under oar, but it will also allow the boat to roll faster than if it had laps or chines under sail, which with a narrower waterline beam means you might just need to take some care initially. Also the lack of laps would also allow more spray to come up into the boat, however the IO double enders have such alot of flare fore and aft that I doubt you'll see much water or spray ever. After thinking about this, I think optimum construction would be strip with the top two planks in lapped ply to get the spray laps where it matters, like the Whaleboats if we were to be splitting hairs.

The pic shown above was his prototype Jeanie, which I believe was light (6mm) and had a narrower BWL than the J2 plans finished up at.
    Last edited by Edward Pearson; 08-22-2017 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Pearson View Post
    John, Paul's 17ft x 6ft beach cruiser in this months July/ Aug Watercraft, a substantially bigger boat with 'planing potential' uses the same scantlings. So you should be good to go with those dimensions and similar bulkheads etc. He says 9mm and expects it to finish 8mm after long boarding.

The J2 is Iain's harcore solo sail and oar boat. The connoisseurs choice. The Ferrari Dino of his double enders. Like the Dino, Enzo's special one, when it was personal. It will have an even narrower beam and waterline than some of his others. If you build it light, she'll be a rocket under oar, but you will have to ballast it down to approach its designed displacement solo to get it to be stable enough under press of sail, especially if you are in gusty conditions, otherwise you might find it 'falling over'.

Also be aware that the smooth bottom of a stripped hull should have less wetted area and turbulence under oar, but it will also allow the boat to roll faster than if it had laps or chines under sail, which with a narrower waterline beam means you might just need to take some care initially. Also the lack of laps would also allow more spray to come up into the boat, however the IO double enders have such alot of flare fore and aft that I doubt you'll see much water or spray ever. After thinking about this, I think optimum construction would be strip with the top two planks in lapped ply to get the spray laps where it matters, like the Whaleboats if we were to be splitting hairs.

The pic shown above was his prototype Jeanie, which I believe was light (6mm) and had a narrower BWL than the J2 plans finished up at.

Thank you for the word on the scantlings, Edward. That is helpful. I am aware of J2's reputation as the "hot one" of IO's beach cruisers. I am planning on adding a 12mm rub rail at about where the lower edge of the top strake would be on a glued lap hull. I think it will be attractive with a bright finish. That should help keep the water out and add a bit of insurance in the case of an unexpected sharp heel during a strong gust. I will use water ballast initially, until I can determine what the optimum ballast will be, and then add that weight in permanent ballast.

I will need to go cautiously for a while until I have a good feel for the boat. Thank you for your input, Edward. It is most helpful - John

John,

I'm glad you have chosen an Oughtred Double-ender, which was your heart's desire. But ( and I really hesitate to add confusion here) my understanding of JII is just as Edward described above- tender and for mostly solo voyaging.

Having sailed my Whilly Boat for 2 seasons, I wish I had built an Arctic tern, or even a Whilly Tern. My family can't fit with me comfortably!

Anyway, good luck with your move and with your build. Looking forward to another I. O. build thread. I loved his drawings, and his book.

Mike
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon1 View Post
    John,

I'm glad you have chosen an Oughtred Double-ender, which was your heart's desire. But ( and I really hesitate to add confusion here) my understanding of JII is just as Edward described above- tender and for mostly solo voyaging.

Having sailed my Whilly Boat for 2 seasons, I wish I had built an Arctic tern, or even a Whilly Tern. My family can't fit with me comfortably!

Anyway, good luck with your move and with your build. Looking forward to another I. O. build thread. I loved his drawings, and his book.

Mike

Thank you, Mike. The convenience of building in strip and the ease of rowing are well worth the extra attention the boat will demand. It will certainly be fun to sail! I plan on daysailing with my grandchildren, one at a time, and solo camp cruising on occasion. Thank you for your input. It is good to hear from experience - John

John,

Regarding ballast, as a ballpark...in his letter with my planset, Iain (and Iain is pretty light) said he used a total of 144 lbs/ 65kg of ballast in his Jeanie. A combination of 4 x 5 liter (20kg) water containers strapped to the centercase (that I guess could be emptied under oar if need or used as drinking water) and the rest as roofing lead strapped under the floors resting on some carpet. His Jeanie was sloop rigged: he drew and used a bigger jib option also, for the win.

Thank you, Edward. It sounds like a good idea to use water as part of the ballast. I will be using the balanced lug rig as I think it adds to the "Viking" look and it should work well for me. Wooden boats where I live, near Kansas City, Missouri are as scarce as mermaids. There is no racing class for me to join and the only raids are conducted by the police. Were it not for the forum, I would be alone in my madness - John

My J2 plans have arrived. They are a work of art. I'm glad I ordered them directly from Iain Oughtred. I am thrilled!

62e60589afd16473e3b0ae48bba6d9b4.jpga0d61a08744e3562040acd386beb7e7e.jpg2d7f34cee79bd94213e1bc4bdf322998.jpgAttachment 4512

There are still some things I need to do before I can start the build. I need to get moved in to my new place, something that was unavoidably delayed, build a work bench, buy a table saw, and, umm, oh yes, buy some wood. My plan is to do all my cutting and ripping first as I am building in strip, and then make the spars and sails, and then make the strongback and build the boat. I have no idea how long it will all take, but I find working with wood a pleasure (when I'm not cursing and throwing things) to be enjoyed. I sure hope my grandkids are in good shape and careful with power tools - John
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Landlockedvoyager; 10-14-2017 at 12:15 AM.

Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country. John Fn Kennedy. (D)

That boat is nicely done. Thanks for posting the photo - John

Lovely plan set! I wish I had ordered direct from I.O. Looking at the "clothespin" clamp, I like them 3/4" thick. The 1/2" ones I made tended to twist. And rounding those inner corners is a great idea.

Have fun!

Mike
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

Thank you, Mike. I would like to add that ordering directly from Iain Oughtred turned out to be cheaper than ordering from the other sites that sell his plans, and that Mr. Oughtred is a real gentleman. The plans themselves are beautifully drawn. I am going to enjoy this - John