Rick
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Comment

• normil
      • Nov 2012

Re: NZ Elections

Originally posted by Chris249
      Wow, sexist neanderthals DO still exist.
      Yep, but some of us are clever enough to keep it to ourselves
      "The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything." Edward John Phelps
      “It is your attitude, more than your aptitude, that will determine your altitude.” Zig Ziglar

Comment

• Chip-skiff
        Wolves Without Borders
        • Jan 2008

One bit I've never understood, given his heritage, is Peters's evident hostility to the Mäori Party and to Mäori in politics.

The US has characters such as Justice Clarence Thomas, who seems biased against black people. Is Peters that sort?

Comment

• normil
          • Nov 2012

I had hoped this little chat would veer more toward the "President" part of the OP(?) as in NZ being a Republic (or whatever it is that Presidents are president of) rather than being a British Colony or Australia's baby sister. We may well be a group of islands in the Pacific, but we are not "Pacific Islanders" even though most of them seem to be here. I chose Winston for no other reason than he seems to be the only MP who has the necessary pluck/spunk to make such a radical change. What say you?

Cheers

Norm
          "The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything." Edward John Phelps
          “It is your attitude, more than your aptitude, that will determine your altitude.” Zig Ziglar

Comment

• Mcjim
            • Mar 2011

"I think that the incumbents need to go take a break, but I'm not sure about any possible coalition as a replacement." - JW

I think you have summed up the feeling of much of the country. Plan A is getting stale but Plan B is still undercooked.

(Now I am thinking about cakes. Better than politics anyway)

Mike

Comment

• Chris249
              • Jun 2013

Originally posted by normil
              Yep, but some of us are clever enough to keep it to ourselves
              Clever people don't make stupid comments such as saying that women are too soft and then "supporting" that ridiculous claim by excluding the women who disprove it.

Comment

• normil
                • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Chris249
                Clever people don't make stupid comments such as saying that women are too soft and then "supporting" that ridiculous claim by excluding the women who disprove it.
                My comment was supposed to be self-deprecating, sorry you missed it

Comment

• robm
                  • Mar 2009

What say you?
                  As a Canadian in a roughly similar country politically (a parliamentary constitutional monarchy with Queen Elizabeth II as our nominal head of state), I say don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Robert Mugabe got elected - once. GW Bush got elected - almost. Donald Trump got elected - kind of. It is far from the worst possible system, and it shows remarkable resilience and adaptability as the world changes.

Comment

• Phil Y
                    Banned
                    • Apr 2010

Originally posted by RFNK
                    Is Barnaby running?

Rick
                    They can have him, hey bro?

Comment

• john welsford
                      • Sep 2002

I had hoped this little chat would veer more toward the "President" part of the OP(?) as in NZ being a Republic (or whatever it is that Presidents are president of) rather than being a British Colony or Australia's baby sister. We may well be a group of islands in the Pacific, but we are not "Pacific Islanders" even though most of them seem to be here. I chose Winston for no other reason than he seems to be the only MP who has the necessary pluck/spunk to make such a radical change. What say you?

Cheers

Norm
                      If it were up to me I'd give him the job of governor of the Auckland Islands, required to be in residence for the full term, with no cellphone or radio.
                      Being as no one lives there, he wouldn't need any staff for his office, could spend his days fishing. On his own.

John Welsford
                      An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Comment

• OliverBendix
                        • Feb 2012

Originally posted by RFNK
                        Is Barnaby running?

Rick
                        No, we have sufficient Joyces of our own...

Comment

• normil
                          • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Chip-skiff
                          One bit I've never understood, given his heritage, is Peters's evident hostility to the Mäori Party and to Mäori in politics.

The US has characters such as Justice Clarence Thomas, who seems biased against black people. Is Peters that sort?

"Hostility" might be a bit strong of a word as yet, more an annoyance or irritation that a group with so little to offer is so well rewarded as I said earlier about Maori being pandered to as though we owe them a living (depending who you talk to, and who is honest about it). Beats me why the NZ taxpayer should be forking out for Maori's petty grievances when their beef should be with the British Crown? What's that line about "the sins of the fathers being visited on the children"?
                          I sometimes suspect that Maori hold little workshops all over the country periodically to re-invent their "culture" to qualify for another hand-out.
                          I hear that Maori language is now compulsory in schools ? What a crock! My basic smattering of Latin has served be far better than anything I ever learnt about Maori. Besides, the language is not pretty (spitting consonants like a cantankerous child) and the "culture" has no value in the real world outside of the mud-eye (spell-check didn't like the way I spelled it).
                          I'm sure the USA didn't get to be "the greatest Nation on Earth" (albeit self-proclaimed) by embracing the Sioux or the Cherokee or the Eskimos or whoever, any more than Australia became what it is today by embracing the Aborigines. How can we ever hope to be a First World Nation if we let third-world cultures (native and imported) drag us back to the dark ages?
                          There must be a million stories of how Maori are creaming it off the NZ taxpayer: Funny how $800k made some voodoo ghost disappear so we could put a road through? Land that the early settlers made productive has often become a "sacred Site" because some mythical ancestor supposedly took a dump there. They tried to claim ownership of the Wellington waterfront until they learnt it was all reclaimed land. They want to claim ownership of the foreshore and seabed so they can exact a fee from all who cross it. Un-effin-believable! And we let this happen?

That's my rant for a while

Cheers

Norm

Comment

• normil
                            • Nov 2012

Originally posted by john welsford
                            If it were up to me I'd give him the job of governor of the Auckland Islands, required to be in residence for the full term, with no cellphone or radio.
                            Being as no one lives there, he wouldn't need any staff for his office, could spend his days fishing. On his own.

John Welsford

Yep. Living the dream!?

Comment

• Chris249
                              • Jun 2013

My comment was supposed to be self-deprecating, sorry you missed it
                              Okay. There are other men out there who are happy to be derogatory towards women and some of us think we should speak out against it.

Comment

• OliverBendix
                                • Feb 2012

Originally posted by john welsford
                                I like Ardern, but remember that we're not electing just a Party leader, we're electing a party, and the team behind her seems a bit thin to me.
                                Unproven team, I suppose. Certainly, the English/Joyce etc combo can say they have plenty of experience. I'm still ready for a change, and have always been a lefty voter anyway.

Comment

Working...