Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new hobby ....

Default My new hobby ....

Picking up plastic waste. Every time I go to town I pick up plastic scrap from the footpaths and gutters. Our town is beside a river so ever bit of plastic will other wise go down the drains and into the river, there to travel the 10 miles to the ocean to kill seabirds.

It's amazing how much plastic there is, clear wraps, plastic sweet wrappers, little hollow plastic fish that are perfect bird baits ( our local sushi shop gives them away full of soy sauce, plastic straws, plastic strapping. An endless supply.

The little bit I pick up is probably negligible but I've seen 3 other people in town picking up plastic too.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Default Re: My new hobby ....

Good on ya Peter.

Even if its just in your back yard, pissing in the wind is a good thing. I do it too.

I've been doing it for many decades. I've even been known to throw it back through the car window that some of it came from. "I think you lost this".

I did that with a lighted cigarette but once. Guy tried to get out but I kicked the door on his ankle a couple of times. That discouraged him.
    These days………………….. probably not.

Here on the Mornington Peninsula I can't get over the amount of macdonalds rubbish and other plastic waste that gets left in the T tree around where I have my dingy. I carry a black rubbish bag in the car. A few years ago after the kids finished eating a bag of raw peas we put the pea pods around a tree base on the nature strip. Got a $250 fine notice in the mail stating time, date of our rubbish dumping offence. Someone took our number plate details and dobbed us in!
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Macas seem to be the source of a lot of our rubbish, drinking straws and milkshake containers predominate, then the ubiquitous plastic PET bottles.
    Grateful Dead

We used to get a lot of fast food waste when we lived just a hamburgers walk away from a couple of outlets.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    I did that with a lighted cigarette but once. Guy tried to get out but I kicked the door on his ankle a couple of times. That discouraged him.
    These days………………….. probably not.
    I did it once to a guy in a BMW who threw out an entire ashtray. I think he thought better of chasing me when he realised I had a van full of labourers as backup.

Thank you for what you are doing, Peter -

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye54 View Post
    Thank you for what you are doing, Peter -
    +1........

And I just moved you up a few more spots on my " You da man " list.......
    Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    Don't under-estimate Jack. He's purty damned talented

I'm sorry to hear that Australia has this problem. I always thought it was a uniquely American form of bad behavior.

Peter and Michael - to add a great sense of irony here - see Dave Lessor's thread "Water Bottles in National Parks" -- kudos and thanks
    for the job you are doing to clean up in your areas

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    We take our dog (and us) for a walk on a local beach at the mouth of Yarmouth Harbour every two or three days....
    In a month or so I'll be going to the beach with my "muck buckets" and gather dried seaweed that collects at the high tide mark. I compost it at home and it makes the best garden fertilizer.

Herself and I were kayaking off Coromandel in NZ and landed on one of the little islands for a lunch break. Lovely little bay except for all the trash/flotsam that had accumulated, mostly mussel farm and fishing stuff and food containers. We filled a trash bag that we had and started gathering more into piles. A fishing boat came into the bay with a bunch of folks aboard but they weren’t fishing. A few got off into a little boat and came ashore and to our surprise started bagging up garbage. We went over to chat and ask for some bags and found out they were just one group of many that were participating in a community organized coastal clean-up that weekend. Serendipity. We continued our trip without having to have garbage bags lashed on the kayaks.

Here at home we sometimes put the pack saddles and panniers on our donkeys when we take them out for walks and collect any trash we might come across. Usually it doesn’t amount to much. The public land is generally pretty clean these days and people good about picking up the odd bit of trash. There are the exceptions of course.

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that Australia has this problem. I always thought it was a uniquely American form of bad behavior.
    You so need to travel.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”― Mark Twain,

Right now, about 100 mile south of me in the town of Kalama WA, plans are ongoing to build a factory that will take millions of cubic feet of fracked "natural" gas and manufacture methanol. Methanol will then be pumped into huge tankers and then taken down the Columbia River and off to China. In China it will be used to manufacture plastic which will then be shipped back to the U.S. mainly in the form of packaging, which will be discarded after protecting the plastic products within.
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    Right now, about 100 mile south of me in the town of Kalama WA, plans are ongoing to build a factory that will take millions of cubic feet of fracked "natural" gas and manufacture methanol. Methanol will then be pumped into huge tankers and then taken down the Columbia River and off to China. In China it will be used to manufacture plastic which will then be shipped back to the U.S. mainly in the form of packaging, which will be discarded after protecting the plastic products within.
    Frack me! What a horrible scenario.

I live on my old motorboat, She's parked in an estuary about 3 miles in from a rivermouth just north of Auckland, and about 3 miles further up there is a small town and an area of factories and warehouses.
    We're really in suburbia, but there is a good screen of "woods" between me and most of the houses so where my dock is, it feels private and uncrowded.
    But when I arrived here I was stunned at the amount of rubbish in the river and took upon myself the task of cleaning up. First with a kayak, poking the bow into the mangroves when I saw something and picking it up, now with my 15ft double ender. I was picking up about half a cubic metre a week at first, over a few weeks thats a big pile of trash.
    I row on the river two or three times a week, pick up anything I see, and am pleased to say that there is much less rubbish in the water now.
    PET bottles, polystyrene packaging and take out food packaging are the most common items, there are some big items that I cant lift and I have plans to bouy them and drag them out at high tide with the motorboat. There is a wheely bin right in my line of sight from my bunk that really offends me and I've made several attempts to move it, but its about 3/4 buried in mud and its going to be a real project to shift it. It will happen though.
    I got a folding chair the other day, it had been there for years and the steel work was almost rusted away. Another eyesore removed. Interestingly the cheap fabric had survived intact.
    Getting rid of all this "carp" was a problem, but after an exchange of letters (cc to the local representative, much more effective than emails in getting the attention of the bureaucracy ) the city now sends me a roll of pre paid trash collection bags every few months.
    All this work has made me much more pro active in picking up rubbish off the beaches, off footpaths and bush tracks when the dogs taken me out for a walk, they say "think globally, act locally". I interpret that as " do the little bit that you can do, every little bit helps the bigger picture".
    Peter, Ian, all of you, nice to hear that others have the same mindset.

John Welsford, getting to be a grumpy old man.
    Last edited by john welsford; 08-19-2017 at 05:59 PM.
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by J P View Post
    Herself and I were kayaking off Coromandel in NZ and landed on one of the little islands for a lunch break. Lovely little bay except for all the trash/flotsam that had accumulated, mostly mussel farm and fishing stuff and food containers. We filled a trash bag that we had and started gathering more into piles. A fishing boat came into the bay with a bunch of folks aboard but they weren’t fishing. A few got off into a little boat and came ashore and to our surprise started bagging up garbage. We went over to chat and ask for some bags and found out they were just one group of many that were participating in a community organized coastal clean-up that weekend. Serendipity. We continued our trip without having to have garbage bags lashed on the kayaks.
    Ocean currents seem to accumulate debris on particular places. About 45 years ago I went past a place called Lockhart River in North Queensland on a trawler. From the sea I could see the beach covered in plastic rubbish, fish boxes, floats, shoes. 2 months ago a friend visited there and said it's worse now, the fishing waste that used to predominate has been drowned by plastic drink bottles and fast food waste.

He sent me a photo but I can't find it so here a photo from Google of the same beach.

Grateful Dead

Supposedly, some young person has developed a simple way to collect this stuff and convert it to fuel - I will have to see if I can
    find a reference -

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    You so need to travel.
    Actually, I visited Australia years ago (ok, decades) and found it to be quite clean. The same was true of France, Germany and Italy when I visited there, not to mention many areas of Canada through the years. Maybe I was just lucky.

Good work Peter.

I was taught to leave the outdoors better than I found it and do much the same. As do my kids, who will pick up trash wherever they encounter it. ( Except for their bedrooms!!)

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    Nope, humans do it but also "stuff" just accumulates and gets taken by the wind when it has lost value.

We separate our trash: plastic, paper, and aluminum, then we pay a premium to have these taken to the recycling center.

Every Spring all of the neighbors on the peninsula get together for "shore clean up day." We fill a couple couple of dumpsters, and have a pot luck lunch.

Sorry to say, this is a hobby for me, too, but it isn't new...

Hey, but we have gotten rid of single use plastic bags here, which is a good start.

Peace,
    Robert

P.S. We generally choose fishing spots based on trash. We go at least a mile after the trash stops...

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Hey, but we have gotten rid of single use plastic bags here, which is a good start.
    That is a good start, and something I'm striving for as well. Rob, your "we"? refers to family, community, or state level?

At some of the the grocery stores we shop at in NZ, when you check out, the checker puts your stuff back into a push-cart. No bagging. After check-out you can either take your cart to an area where they make available reused cardboard boxes for take-away, or you can take your cart out to your vehicle and pack into whatever. Way better system than plastic bagging.

That is a good start, and something I'm striving for as well. Rob, your "we"? refers to family, community, or state level?

At some of the the grocery stores we shop at in NZ, when you check out, the checker puts your stuff back into a push-cart. No bagging. After check-out you can either take your cart to an area where they make available reused cardboard boxes for take-away, or you can take your cart out to your vehicle and pack into whatever. Way better system than plastic bagging.
    We use reusable carry bags and for the 6 apples, 2 kg of spuds, a head of broccoli Carol sewed up 10 x 12''x 10'' cloth bags from an old sheet. They will last years .
    Grateful Dead

I have a folder of 35 photos or so of trash collected on various excursions looking for photos. I also keep plastic bags in the wells on the doors of my car so I always have something to put the trash in.

My town abolished single-use plastic bags amost a year ago now, so I've gotten well into the habit of taking my canvas bags when I go in the store. But every few weeks I have to go into stores in other towns because, when you get down to it, those "free" plastic bags have an awful lot of uses for those who bother to use them. When I had cats I was using a couple a day, in addition to the one lining the kitchen trash and another one lining the bathroom trash.

The habit of pitching the stuff humans don't want is very old. Hundreds of thousands of years old. Middens have been valuable sources of cultural information about ancient humans to archeologists for a long time.

The difference is that our middens are full of plastic trash.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

Statewide ban on single use bags in 2014 in California was the nations first. We do try.

Pace,
    Robert

grocery stores are encouraging the use of canvas totes, which they will sell to you, with their logo on, of course. Some grocery stores charge five or ten cents per plastic bag to further encourage you to opt for a different container.
    That is a government sponsored initiative around here.

Apart from fast food trash our most annoying problem is dog crap. Everyone is encouraged to pick up, bag and bin it. However a lot of thickos can't remember the "bin" part. So we see a lot of this:
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

We do neighborhood cleanup; yeah, 'we' are slobs. But better, I'd say, than 40 years ago. Few cigarette butts. Less plastic, than a few years ago. Recycling.
    Years back, diving in Mexico, encountered a huge mass of plastic and syringes floating in the ocean. Medical waste someone had dumped. Pi$$ed off the locals.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Around here single-use plastic bags (jokingly referred to in my hometown as "Bridgewater briefcases") are still in common usage, ...
    One of the biggest problems here are those bags, and plastic like them, caught up in trees. I see them along the highway all the time and they are out of reach. Unless you have a cherry picker, there's nothing you can do about it. On some drives it seems I can see at least one at any given time.

Well done. I don't do it often enough. Thanks for the reminder and inspiration.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    That is a government sponsored initiative around here.

Apart from fast food trash our most annoying problem is dog crap. Everyone is encouraged to pick up, bag and bin it. However a lot of thickos can't remember the "bin" part. So we see a lot of this:
    I found three like that on a recent walk, problem is its environmentally much worse than just leaving the droppings. I dont understand it myself, there is a rubbish bin at both ends of that walkway. Some people are really odd.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.